NHS boss refusing to write a reference

Alayne

What do I do now? I have asked my boss to write me a reference so that I can register with the australian nursing board she is refusing saying that the trust policy is to give a reference when an employer asks for it.

She is unhappy that I am leaving and has made things pretty difficult for me since I advised her I would be leaving.

I am so fed up, if I can't complete my application what am I supposed to do.

I hate the bloody NHS and all its policies.

Has anyone else had the same problems and how did you get around it?:cry:

What do I do now? I have asked my boss to write me a reference so that I can register with the australian nursing board she is refusing saying that the trust policy is to give a reference when an employer asks for it.

She is unhappy that I am leaving and has made things pretty difficult for me since I advised her I would be leaving.

Not sure if it helps in your situation Alayne,but i had to do a cpl of statutory declarations for my statements(references)because companies i'd worked for had gone bust,listing my duties as a bricklayer,type of work done ,domestic,commercial etc(adapt to suit nursing duties??),then i got it witnessed by a solicitor,as i say,not sure if that will suffice for nursing tho????

All the best with it all anyway

I'd check the policy on that as i'm not sure whether its true or whether your boss is just being awkward around the whole situation. The fact that she is making things difficult for you make me feel its the latter. If she refuses to write it can you not speak to HR or just go directly to the matron, or even the junior sister/charge nurse? I didn't have a problem getting one from my boss, and from previous employments i just contacted their HR departments and they sent references which just included job, hours and time of employment.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

Bev x

thanks for the replies folks.

I have forwarded a copy of the application for overseas nurses which states that I must attach a reference from her and hope this will be sufficient to get her to do it. I do think she is just being a pain in the XXXX. Alt.ernatively I will go to the head of HR and see if I can get some sense out of her.

Unfortunately as I work in the community there is no matron for me to go to. I did ask the senior nurse practitioner but she has been advised by my boss to not complete a reference for me unless an employer asks for one. Its a bloody joke.

My NHS Ward Manager was only to happy to give me a written reference for Australia even tho I wasn't definately leaving. I've moved wards now so I hope this one is so understanding. Sounds like yours is being awkward. ring human resourses they will provide a written statement of your employment. Type, dates of, wards worked etc. Is there not another sister or senior nurse who would provide a written reference. Perhaps throw in a couple of good ones from prevous colleagues for good measure ;-).

Hi,

Write to HR and ask them for a letter to confirm that you are emplyed, what grade and for how long. Have you worked for another manager or do you have a clinical supervisor who could write you a reference? You can also ask HR what the policy is in supplying references.

Alternatively tell her that you're updating your portfolio and would like to include a testimonial from her (it's very much like a reference).

Not knowing the NHS hierarchy but i suspect it will be simular to the military (but more strict) Can you not go over her head to her boss/line manager?

I didnt think it was acceptable in the NHS to refuse a reference, its what comes with the teritory of man management. She sounds like a right FGAERERWRERG ! i suspect its another thing you could do without the stress in the visa process. i hope you get it sorted soon.

I had to write a Sat dec myself, being a consultant (not NHS type, not that rich or clever) i couldnt ask my line manager for one as i would never get another contract with them. It worked for me, but as said, not in the same line of profession as you.

If all else fails, can you not get an ex-boss, or collegue to write one on your behalf. Or speak with your boss, tell her you will write it and get her to sign if she is happy with the content, it might be she is just a lazy sod?

Apparently there is a good will reference which all employers are required to do, this has to state when you started the job your position and how long for! They are not required to do a character reference if they do not wish to do so! You can find out more on the gov web site under employment! Hope this helps a little :wubclub:

Hi,

Write to HR and ask them for a letter to confirm that you are emplyed, what grade and for how long. Have you worked for another manager or do you have a clinical supervisor who could write you a reference? You can also ask HR what the policy is in supplying references.

The problem is that for Nurse reg, you need a detailed reference as to what duties you carry out, competencies, etc. Lisa's boss did a 5 line ref and detailed the things above and this got backed to us. We had to get her to write a detailed one. The reference is to "prove" that you are competent.

JOHN

HI, sorry you are having problems. You could try this.

Write what you need yourself (to save them the bother), then tell your boss it's a statement of service / list of duties (not a reference!) and ask if they would be willing to sign it, which should help jobsworths with their policy problems.

Is it any wonder that people want to leave?!

Best of luck, and happy Christmas!

Hi I had the same trouble at my work place. I had an autonomous job as an Occ Health Nurse in a pvt company and when I announced my going to Oz, management was suddenly saying that they do not give out refs coz its company policy. Only one manager luckily my line manager was willing to help. I then used the strategy above as a statement of service instead of reference and problem solved. If all fails, u r better off making a lateral transfer to a different ward or clinical area to build up ref potentials.

Its sad but I think some people just enjoy to screw others up and to see you suffering the effects. Fighting it may be an uphill task coz I discovered that employers have no legal obligation to write a reference, if they don't want to, thats it.

Hi there

I wrote my own so that i knew it covered everything the ANMC wanted then got my manager to sign it! took it to her office and stood there whilst she read it and signed it...she was a biatch and wouldnt give me a personal one so i got a Sister to do that. HR also gave me the hours worked, lenght of service etc.

Good luck

Deb

Perhaps you could ask human resources for the 'job description' of the job you do, all nurses need it for their professional portfolios and for appraisals. These are already pre printed and each nurse is entitled to it, then ask Human resources for a statement of service, that way you have confirmed your employment and your role as a nurse in your current job..

Guest guest17301

The replies I've thanked are giving good advice, it's HR you need for a 'statement of service' for your registration as opposed to a reference. Attaching a copy of your job description is a great idea.

From memory I just did the statement of service thing I think

Type up a draft and have HR people or a more senior management personnel to sign off on it. If it's just a general description of your tasks, why does it have to be your line manager?

Dunno if this would work or not but is there anyway you could make up a email address and send her a letter from a Mr. xxxxx and say that you have applied for a job and could they supply confirm your service and a reference for you. That way when they send it back you get to see what she wrote and whose to know whether you are doing private work or not. Might be worth a try. You could use a friends address in Oz to get it sent to if it came to it. hope you get it sorted. Best wishes

HI, sorry you are having problems. You could try this.

Write what you need yourself (to save them the bother), then tell your boss it's a statement of service / list of duties (not a reference!) and ask if they would be willing to sign it, which should help jobsworths with their policy problems.

Is it any wonder that people want to leave?!

Best of luck, and happy Christmas!

Thats what our agent emphasised to us over and over! a statement,NOT a reference....IE pablo is a good lad,turns up on time etc ISNT what they want,they want a detailed statement of duties carried out,good point,forgot to mention that meself!

The problem is that for Nurse reg, you need a detailed reference as to what duties you carry out, competencies, etc. Lisa's boss did a 5 line ref and detailed the things above and this got backed to us. We had to get her to write a detailed one. The reference is to "prove" that you are competent.

JOHN

I know i'm a nurse too .... but there will surely be another manager or senior nurse who can do this. A testimonial is also detailed about your competency etc., or at least all mine have been.

Guest littlesarah

Whilst NHS policies can be tedious, the thing that always used to really get my goat was people quoting 'policies' that don't even exist in order to get out of doing something!

Hope you get it all sorted soon.

Sarah

I just thought, I didn't need a reference from employer when I registered, but am aware that the nursing board has changed. When I registered they wanted a transcript of training from the universities I attended, to see if I met the criteria and standards expected of a nurse/midwife in australia. When I applied for a job, they wanted name and phone number of someone to give me a reference, I guess this was just to confirm I worked where I said I worked. Mind you I don't think they even called them due to the time difference

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I don't know if this has already been suggested, why don't you ask the immigration board, or whoever is asking for the reference, wether they will accept something from somebody other than this one person.

My wife has worked in the NHS for 26 years and on several wards and every ward she has worked on the senior management have been rubbish, theres bullying, intimidation of new staff, totally unhelpful and making the nurses feel worthless, i don't know why it is like this, surely making people feel wanted, would get more out of them, i have had this experience myself, but when they try to be horrible to me, i make their lives a misery, i am a very devious person, when i am personally attacked and management always do things wrong and i go above their heads and report them.

Put a grievance in against them, thats what i would do, put them under pressure, even horrible managers don't like being reported, your probably too nice, you need to get tough, go see them and say you are going to put a grievance in, for refusing to help, you don't have to, but it might be enough to get them to do it, the wife wrote hers out as was mentioned before and she just signed it.

Best of luck.

Thanks to one and all for your words of wisdom and support.

Still no good news, I've forwarded the application form that states that I need a reference from them and hope this will be sufficient. My boss is checking it out with HR again. Hopefully it will work.

I've also written to the nursing board asking them if they can request a reference for me or how I can get around this if they are unwilling to do so as they don't accept requests from employees.

Will let you know how I get on.

Guest Midlanders

Hi

Not that I'm a Nurse but I work within IG for NHS Trust and aware of of the Legal and Organisational procedures etc.

Firstly, your HR dept should hold a Job Discription for you. Perhaps even one for the role you applied for ( if less than 6 years ago) They should also be able to do you a reference, list your grade, salary, contracted hours. They may ask you to formally put your request in writing, but under the FOI ( Freedom Information Act) you can request copies of your PDR documents and anything held about you, but I dont know how useful these may be. ( and they have to supply everything held about you, paper or electronic and even archived documentation within 40 days - that the LAW!!! or they can be fined quite heavily for not doing so, if you raised a complaint with the Information Commissioner.

Like other's have said, I would raise this to her boss..... It also could be viewed as a form of bullying if she is also being awarkward in the workplace, which I'm sure her manager would want to avoid.

Life goes not, perhaps she's jealous of you!!!!! sound like a bitter, twisted battleaxe!!!

Guest AngelAnn

Hi Alayne,

I just used 2 working colleagues to complete my references for me, otherwise you can get the HR dept to just give you a letter confirming that you were employed as an RN and for how long etc.

Hope this helps

Anna