Healthcare for children

Guest Davemcc

Guest Davemcc

Hi all, this is my first post and i don't know if this is the right forum for this thread but if not perhaps somebody could redirect me? Before i start i'd just like to say thanks to everybody who unknowingly helped me over the last 18 months by posting answers to questions i too had and had come to this site looking for advice from afar!

I don't if anybody out there can help me with this specific question, basically i have a skilled independant visa that i activated 2 months ago by visiting Perth with my wife and 2 kids. The plan is for me to come out early next year and for rest of family to follow later in the year.

Last week we were told by our health department here in Ireland that our 3 year old son possibly/probably has autism and is being sent on for further testing, we'll know for sure next month but our gut feeling as parents is that the preliminary diagnosis is probably correct.

Putting aside the emotions and worry of the last week my question relates to what the future holds for our son in Oz. I know that the australian health system is good what i don't know is will our son be entitled to any care/treatment when we arrive first given the restrictions on new residents health entitlements? I know as adults we are pretty much on our own re medicare for 2 years but as a child are the rules different, will he have access to various programs?

I don't think it's going to change our planned move as staying where we are is not a feasible option (obviously unless we have to for our son) but it would be great to know in advance what we are getting in to.

Any help much appreciated.

Guest Davemcc
Hi Davemcc, is this visa a 175? If so I don't think you have any restrictions on new residents health entitlements?

Hi fish.01, yeah it's a 175 visa, that would be great if there was no restrictions, i guess i just assumed that the 2 year rule of no entiltements extended to everybody and all state bodies. I'll go and dig a bit deeper on that, thanks.

Hi fish.01, yeah it's a 175 visa, that would be great if there was no restrictions, i guess i just assumed that the 2 year rule of no entiltements extended to everybody and all state bodies. I'll go and dig a bit deeper on that, thanks.

No, thankfully, not at all. If you have permanent residency you are immediately entitled to all healthcare + all family tax benefits, childcare benefit etc or other benefits directed at children.

It is unemployment type benefits that have the 2 year wait.

Good luck!!