would you emigrate without visiting first??

gareth and lisa

We came to Adelaide in 1982 with two daughters 15 and 13, couldn't afford a trip out before that It was all very different but we loved it right from the start Twenty eight years later can still feel lucky to be living here Our daughters both did nursing degrees ,one, later did her midwifes degree and the other a 3 year teaching degree Both have children and work for nursing agency's, they say they can always get shifts when and where they want Good luck to you!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perth is the most isolated city in Oz, if you love the night life you might be dissapointed, if you like making your own entertainment you will probably like it, Perth shuts down an 9 in the evening when everyone goes to bed to get up at 5 in the morning.

Me and the wife might go to bed early and get up at 5, like you say, but our 21 year old son doesn't usually go out till 9 and doesn't come back in till about 4 in the morning (if at all), so he's definitely finding things to do. That's only weekends mind you as he is up at 5 to go to work the rest of the week. They finish early though so that suits him as he goes stright to the gym every night.

There is a good nightlife in Perth, just have to know where to go. There have been a lot of new places opened in the last couple of years too.

After reading that I would be off like a shot to Oz and even if you in the end don't end up staying in Oz at least you could move to a better part of the UK...Devon maybe:wubclub:

/

Dont bother going to Devon! The NHS is just as rubbish here as anywhere else in the UK lol, Cornwall's NHS is even worse:arghh:We are moving without a reccie. As a navy wife we have had to move to places we have never been to before, without knowing anyone and hundreds of miles away from our families. You would be suprised how quick it takes you to adapt to new surroundings, and you get used to not seeing the family regularly. The only problem is finding new friends, they arn't going to come to you you need to get out there and find them! Even sites like this helps build friendships before moving which is a huge help :cute: If you are considering Adelaide go on the Poms in Adelaide website. Loads of info on there.

As you say life is too short, if you dont like it go back to the UK. Me and the hubby cant wait to get over there. Life is what you what you make it it doesnt matter where you are solong as you're with your loved one/s.

Bev x

Dont bother going to Devon! The NHS is just as rubbish here as anywhere else in the UK lol, Cornwall's NHS is even worse:arghh:We are moving without a reccie. As a navy wife we have had to move to places we have never been to before, without knowing anyone and hundreds of miles away from our families. You would be suprised how quick it takes you to adapt to new surroundings, and you get used to not seeing the family regularly. The only problem is finding new friends, they arn't going to come to you you need to get out there and find them! Even sites like this helps build friendships before moving which is a huge help :cute: If you are considering Adelaide go on the Poms in Adelaide website. Loads of info on there.

As you say life is too short, if you dont like it go back to the UK. Me and the hubby cant wait to get over there. Life is what you what you make it it doesnt matter where you are solong as you're with your loved one/s.

Bev x

The NHS IMO is better than medicare in Oz ,so I do not know what you expected the medical care over there to be like.

If you have no kids it is the perfect time to go and as you say if you do not like it you can go back to the UK, is your husband joining the Oz navy?

The NHS IMO is better than medicare in Oz ,so I do not know what you expected the medical care over there to be like.

If you have no kids it is the perfect time to go and as you say if you do not like it you can go back to the UK, is your husband joining the Oz navy?

It may be better but its the lack of nurse-patient time i find extremely frustrating. It shouldnt be like that its not fair on the patients and the constant slap in the face from management and pen pushers is starting to take the P.

Yeah we have no kids, and its true if you dont like it then move the world is a huge place. Once you get set up with a good support network of friends it makes a huge difference. No, he's not joining up to their navy as we would be in the same position as we are currently (He's away alot leaving me here on my own:sad: = not nice). Roll on Oz!

It may be better but its the lack of nurse-patient time i find extremely frustrating. It shouldnt be like that its not fair on the patients and the constant slap in the face from management and pen pushers is starting to take the P.

Yeah we have no kids, and its true if you dont like it then move the world is a huge place. Once you get set up with a good support network of friends it makes a huge difference. No, he's not joining up to their navy as we would be in the same position as we are currently (He's away alot leaving me here on my own:sad: = not nice). Roll on Oz!

Hi have to agree with what you say about the lack of nurse-patient time. My job is just a constant daily slog with trying to keep everybody happy :goofy:and very little job satisfaction. I can only see working in the NHS getting worse and i have friends who work in Oz (nurses) who say it is better working in Oz. I know some will dissagree with that but all i can say in my life in 5yrs time i DONT want to live where i live now and i DONT want to work where i work and am willing to try somewhere new..

Lisa

Guest guest30038
Hi have to agree with what you say about the lack of nurse-patient time.

Part of my y wife's shift yesterday consisted of her taking VAD (Ventricular assist device) patients out to the local mal to do some Xmas shopping. Would that happen in the UK?

kev

Guest MarkandVerlie
Perth is the most isolated city in Oz, if you love the night life you might be dissapointed, if you like making your own entertainment you will probably like it, Perth shuts down an 9 in the evening when everyone goes to bed to get up at 5 in the morning.

We live in Northbridge, which is about a 2 min walk from Perth CBD to say it shuts down at 9 every night...well lets just say it's not true is it? We have had many evenings out in Northbridge and the CBD and got home way past our bedtime!

I have also had to attend a hospital here, i was advised not to go to Royal Perth so i went to Joondalup. Yes i waited a long time in A&E to be seen but that is because there is a significant lack of GP's here and to try and see your GP the same day is not easy which is why we elected to a private doctors surgery who do not bulk bill. The staff at the hospital were very busy in the A&E but the care was great. The doctor i saw and the nurses who took my bloods and the Radiographers were all very attentive. I would also say that the hospital was a damn site cleaner than the hospital i have attended in the UK. I think the staff of the NHS are wonderful considering what strains they are put under. If coming to Australia for a better work life balance is what you are after i would say it is worth it, no matter which state you end up in. I am not sure what sort of hours you are expected to work as a nurse over here but if you can finish your shift and pop to the beach for a walk or just to be able to feel the sun on your face then surely life is better.

I sincerely hope you and your family make it over and i hope you can eventually come to Perth, it is a beautiful place to live.

Hi we came here without visiting first, quite frankly unless you have the money free to do it I wouldnt bother. A few weeks would have made no difference to us. Just do your research have a look online as much as possible and ask others on here who are living in the places you are interested in what its really like. We love it and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone :wubclub:

I moved to Adelaide with my husband and two very small boys without ever seeing the place. We lived there for 14 years and thoroughly enjoyed it. We both worked and would take the kids down to the beach in the evening. My children tell everyone they had a lovely childhood. We moved to Melbourne when the kids were in their teens as there is more going on there. If you go to Adelaide, make sure you live in the south where the beautiful beaches are. Don't go north, it is an awful long way to travel to the beach through the traffic. Adelaide is a really lovely place to live and raise children, and if you wish, you can move on later to another state as we did. Each state is different and has its good points and not so good points. We have just returned to live in Melbourne after spending time travelling in UK and Europe. We prefer Victoria because it has the four seasons (sometimes in one day!). I do not like it too hot and definitely not humid. I wish you the very best and yes, take the plunge and don't bother doing a reccie. Like others have said, a reccie is just a holiday and does not prepare you for what it is like to live in Australia on a day to day basis.

Hi all, for those of you who know us we have had our sights set on Perth for a few years now with a PR visa. been waiting in limbo like many others for most of the year waiting for the SMP only to be dissapointed to hear they have changed the criteria for experience to 7yrs so we cant now apply for that visa. Dont want an employer visa for personal reasons. However like the look at SA where we do fullfil the criteria but have never visited. we wouldnt be able to go until Aug 2011 for a rekki and really wanted to move in Sept 2011 so do we just go ahead and say lifes too short and what the hell or be cautious. our 2 boys dont really care as long as we move and a close friend of mine is applying for SA without ever visiting but im a planner and could i pack up my whole life to a place iv only ever seen online.

Does anybody else have any comments.

Lisa :nah:

:reindeer2:

We have applied for PR to SA and have never been anywhere near Aus before , either of us . Our motivation however is our Daugter went to aus on a working visa and loves it , She wants to stay.

So being the great parents we are and knowing that grand kids will be on the menu some day and the wife will move hell and high water to be where they are we are moving to South aus (all being well when DIAC pull there finger out there A***) .My feelings on the matter are

Im damn good at my job and can do it anywhere in the world for myself and earn money, We hate where we live,we hate that this country is run by monkeys and if we cant find somewhere in the whole of Aus that suits us then we truly do deserve to be stuck where we are.

Hell of a risk yes, but most things worth it are ....................................

The other point worth remembering is if you have to apply to a state you dont realy wish to go to there is no LEGAL obligation to stay for the 2 years if things arent working out. You have a moral obligation to the state for sponsoring you in but thats all.

MY wife and 5 year old daughter and myself are hopefully moving to Adelaide (DIAC willing!).....we have never been to Australia

Life is about experiencing things imo and we feel that its much better to regret trying something....... than to regret having never tried at all

We're really excited at the prospect....go for it!

Good luck everyone

Paul,Jeanette and Jamie lee

Archived