would you emigrate without visiting first??

gareth and lisa

Hi all, for those of you who know us we have had our sights set on Perth for a few years now with a PR visa. been waiting in limbo like many others for most of the year waiting for the SMP only to be dissapointed to hear they have changed the criteria for experience to 7yrs so we cant now apply for that visa. Dont want an employer visa for personal reasons. However like the look at SA where we do fullfil the criteria but have never visited. we wouldnt be able to go until Aug 2011 for a rekki and really wanted to move in Sept 2011 so do we just go ahead and say lifes too short and what the hell or be cautious. our 2 boys dont really care as long as we move and a close friend of mine is applying for SA without ever visiting but im a planner and could i pack up my whole life to a place iv only ever seen online.

Does anybody else have any comments.

Lisa :nah:

:reindeer2:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To emigrate to a Country you have never even visited is taking a big risk IMO, If you were going as a single person or a married couple with no ties or children that would probably a risk worth taking but taking a family with all the costs etc is a big risk.

Then again if you can afford it you could put it down as a life experience if you don't like it and come back.

To emigrate to a Country you have never even visited is taking a big risk IMO, If you were going as a single person or a married couple with no ties or children that would probably a risk worth taking but taking a family with all the costs etc is a big risk.

Been to Perth are they all much of a likeness???

Been to Perth are they all much of a likeness???

Perth is the most isolated city in Oz, if you love the night life you might be dissapointed, if you like making your own entertainment you will probably like it, Perth shuts down an 9 in the evening when everyone goes to bed to get up at 5 in the morning.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We have been twice to Perth and Brisbane and i wasn't prepared for just how fantastic and modern it was in both places, it was like when we visted Florida, it was simply fantastic, the beaches, were incredible and weather to die for. If you like it warm and you like the beach life then you will love it, some who live there don't like these things, but it is a big factor for me, being able to plan and live an outdoor lifestyle. So i would say - YES to the visit, it just made me want to live there even more.

A holiday anywhere in the world is a million miles away from living and working there, you will only know if it is the right place for you after you have lived and worked there for a few months, remember you might have to work 6 days a week if you are in the building trade to earn the money you need to live which leaves just Sunday to sleep as you are probably knackered...sorry to soung gloom but this is the reality of working in another Country.

A holiday anywhere in the world is a million miles away from living and working there, you will only know if it is the right place for you after you have lived and worked there for a few months, remember you might have to work 6 days a week if you are in the building trade to earn the money you need to live which leaves just Sunday to sleep as you are probably knackered...sorry to soung gloom but this is the reality of working in another Country.

Hiya Bobby, im a nurse nothin is worse than the NHS, lol being puched and spat on, almost on a daily basis, living in a small semi, in a town voted 16th worst in the country workin in the "hospital from hell" im really hoping things can only get better!!

All i know is i hate where i live now and my job and suppose would look positive on anywhere!! we do as a family love warm weather,beaches etc so hopefully barring missing family we should settle. suppose whats the worst, come home!!

Give it a go or you will probably regret not trying it for thr rest of your lives, the kids will love Perth ...I see your hubby is 49, ithought the cut off age was 45? can you transfer youir pensions?

Hiya Bobby, im a nurse nothin is worse than the NHS, lol being puched and spat on, almost on a daily basis, living in a small semi, in a town voted 16th worst in the country workin in the "hospital from hell" im really hoping things can only get better!!

After reading that I would be off like a shot to Oz and even if you in the end don't end up staying in Oz at least you could move to a better part of the UK...Devon maybe:wubclub:

DO NOT Go to Oz not thinking of the weather or the beaches....go thinking this is going to be bloody hard work but we will do it/

Yes i/we would go without a reccie,we only had a reccie because we had to validate anyway because our hse had'nt(still hasnt!:mad:)sold in time to move properly.

Its only a glorified holiday anyway a reccie(or ours was!),it WONT prepare you for living there ,i'd have sooner kept the $7/8 k we spent on a reccie towards a car or something tangible tbh,btw were going to SA,fair difference in the weather if its sun year round your after? but we were more than happy with our choice after visiting,i'l generalise and say SA is a place for families,NOT for those seeking a party lifestyle,thats my opinion anyway.:wink:

Guest TaniaandRob

Adelaide is a very pretty little city and SA a fairly easy going place to live. Even if your working in the CBD I would seriously consider living somewhere up in the hills where is is just beautiful. I lived in Mount Barker SA (- there is one in WA too) and commuted 35mins into the CBD every day for work. You should be able to find fairly cheap rentals - at least compare to what I experienced in Perth - and you can still take advantage of beaches etc. I feel Adelaide has more culture than Perth but then I did find in the 4 years I live in Perth is was really a sporty, beach city and thats about all.... Worst case you stay in Adelaide for a few years then once you have travelled the rest of Australia you will be able to make a better furture decision that is right for all of your family.

Life is too short - You will never ever know, if you never ever go.....

I have moved all over Australia (country VIC, Melbourne, Ballarat, Canberra, Adelaide, Perth, Mount Barker SA) following my line of work and gaining life experience then I moved to England over 2 years ago. I didn't know a single person in England and I made the decision and moved in 5 weeks. I've taken the plunge so many times - it is always worth it. Now I am married and my husband is taking that step like you are of moving to a place he has never seen. Have faith - it'll be ok.

Hi ya Lisa,

Sorry to hear the news and to think all that stress with the IELTS !!!!! We've never been to Oz and have no intentions of doing a reccie first. Can't wait to get there.

As you say can't be any worse than working for NHS. Seems we've all got so disheartened (Putting it lightly) with nursing in the UK. You try to do a good job caring for people, you should not expect such a return for your hard work.

Look, get sponsorship, you are only obliged to stay 2 years in SA or other state you can get to, and then you can move to Perth. You never know you might love it there and decide not to move on.

Us as a family love having friends but are also very happy just being us, so either way we are going to give it a go. Being Irish, theres bit of a gypsy in me. I do like to move around despite settling and being happy. Give it a go if Oz is really where you want to be, its gotta be worth a go.

:hug: and good luck with whatever decision you make.

xx Helen

:santa1:

Guest yorkspud

I came out in 1977 at 37 years old wife two children ,one 13 and one 3years old loved it from the start ,although not for every one take the bull by the horns have an adventure your a long time dead .Transpoet travels both ways .GOOD LUCK at least you can enjoy the traveling and say i jave been to OZif you decide to go home .Alan

thank you all for your comments, hellsbells was thinking about you the other day. Boys (children) are all up for it, hubby worried under understandably, and to my suprise the list and plan queen (me) is quite excited about a new adventure. The only problem is now, that my friend said the SMP was out but just reading i dont think it is so i wonder if they will put the same conditions on as WA that you need lots of experience??

Lisa

Hi all its been my dream to move to Aus since i was 18, been with my partner since i was 19. i started process back in 2000 then backed out when Aus Consulate kept send application back as not filled out right so quite. it took for our friends to move out their in 2008 for me to re look in to my dream. I have 2 chidren a supportive partner and we have never been to Aus. we looked to our kids future in U.K and discovered their was nothing here for them. so in Dec 08 contacted Visa Bureau and started migration process, the way i look at it is life is to short. Youve got to live life to the full and take the risk if you really believe you can do it. After all it cant be any worse than living in U.K with job prospects disappearing and tax tax tax tax.

Were going without a reccie. Leaving Liverpool on 8th Jan staying in London til the 10th then flying to Melbourne. Me my wife and our 3 year old. We have no preconceptions about the place apart from the fact my wife won't have to work and can spend lots of quality time with our son. This is our life changing thing not so much the sun and the beach (although i have to say this helps) and its a fantastic opportunity to see how another country and culture ticks. its all about life experience you only get one Live it.

Perth is the most isolated city in Oz, if you love the night life you might be dissapointed, if you like making your own entertainment you will probably like it, Perth shuts down an 9 in the evening when everyone goes to bed to get up at 5 in the morning.

I love it when people say that it's isolated makes us sound like we're cut off from the rest of the world lol

OP we had visited Aus but not WA which is where we moved to (unseen) and settled very well.

Put it another way, would you move to Leeds having visited Liverpool? Yes there are differences, but are they going to make that big a difference to your everyday life? The major change for you is going to be the australian culture, that exists in both Adelaide and Perth. The differences between the cities are small compared to this. Adelaide is a bit smaller than Perth, but is less isolated. Perth has bigger waves than Adelaide. Both have beaches, wineries, a city centre, a beach centre, houses, suburbs, shops, farmland and scenic areas nearby. The climates are far more similar than some other cities in Australia (e.g. Brisbane, Darwin).

Basically, I think my answer is that I personally wouldn't emigrate without having visited the country, to get a feel for the culture and general vibe, but if I had a job offer in another city, then I wouldn't worry overly much about visiting that city before moving there, you only really get to know a city once you're living there anyway.

Guest siamsusie

I found WA to be a great state.... less flying time to Asia and Europe... certainly cheaper holidays.. not everywhere closes down at 9pm in Perth.

Adelaide is also a very pretty city.... gorgeous countryside. The Ghan to Darwin is wonderful... so many possibilities.. good luck with your choice.

Love Susie x

I found WA to be a great state.... less flying time to Asia and Europe... certainly cheaper holidays.. not everywhere closes down at 9pm in Perth.

Adelaide is also a very pretty city.... gorgeous countryside. The Ghan to Darwin is wonderful... so many possibilities.. good luck with your choice.

Love Susie x

True, but I do not frequent those type of establishments :cute:

Two real points to a reccie:

Decide whether to make the move or not

Try to set things up and hit the ground running

I suspect you will be too far down the track to back out, so the first reason is pretty redundant. Of course it might be nice to see the city, but you’ll see plenty of it when you move.

As for setting things up, if you were able to set up a rental property then that would be great. However, that would probably take at least a couple of weeks and that would be a long reccie. The rest just depends on where you end up living and working.

Therefore, in your position, I can’t see much advantage to one. Just make the move as a leap of faith. Save your money for Barossa wine.

Archived