Did anyone find work before leaving the UK?

Guest Ninni

Hi,

Talking with various recruitment agencies it seems increasingly difficult to secure work before leaving the UK. The response we have had so far seems to be 'great experience, there will be no problem, call us when you get here'.

With three kids and not a massive budget we feel the risks are too high to just go and hope for the best.

Has anyone secured work through Skype interviews etc. before leaving or has everyone applied 'on location'?

Thank you!

Yeah I got work before heading over. I got the same thing from the recruiter but she did give me the names of the main employers in my field so I just contacted them directly and it worked out. Try to find out the name of the person who will make the decision rather than just talking to someone in HR. And use a phone rather than email! I emailed 6 companies. Two replied, and only one was interested (but lucky for me they were very interested!).

What sort of work are you looking for?

(and welcome to the forum!)

Yes. Before we got our 176 Visa no one was interested, as soon as he applied stating his 176 Visa Approval he got a job offer (only sent off for three). He also got two yes (s), interested but call in once you arrive.

Best of luck. Leila x

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi and welcome to PIO.

I think it depends on what line of work you are in, some you can manage to secure before you arrive, others prefer you to be on Aussie soil.

Good luck with everything.

Kate

jothy, i would be very interested to know what sits she used, i dont seem to be getting anywhere. What line of work is she in?

Hi all

Here are some links to try out for jobs. I am a wall and floor tiler and my partner is a recruitment consaltant. I would suggest you contact as many companies over there as you can and fingers crossed you might get lucky.

Salery wise we was looking at about 2x our wage in the uk or about $25-$35 an hour but this depends on your sitation.

Hope this has helped.

All the best of luck.:smile:

,www.sponsorshipaustralia.net/ .www.jobaroo.com/ .www.jobisjob.com.au/.

www.careerjet.com.au ›

I'm a nurse and emailed hospitals directly.

OH is a telecommunications Engineer and applied for a job, we didn't have a visa then and they said they wanted someone right away. A few months later they contacted him and asked where we were up to with the visa (had been granted), they set up a phone interview and offered him a position. We're both with the same employers who offered us the initial contracts.

Some employers can't wait for you to go through the Visa process and keep a job open (which is reasonable - they have a business to run), but certainly you're not losing anything in trying, in my OH's case they were interested enough to keep his CV and not advertise when they had a vacant position.

I had no luck yet. Got PR last June, applied for tons of jobs (Senior .Net Developer/Analyst) through seek and also through internal connections.

Through seek, I almost never got an acknowledgement except a few. Then maybe 2 replied that I was not short listed.

Applications through internal connection went further to some exchange of emails and also had two skype interviews. At the end of the day, they told me to go to their office once I am in Brissy. I land in 3 weeks.

Very frustrating indeed because I feel that I was a very good match to the jobs applied. Like you, we are also on limited money and this creates lots of stress...

I'm really hoping that once in Brisbane, I'll get a positive response...

Good luck!

Cheers

B!K3R

I had no luck yet. Got PR last June, applied for tons of jobs (Senior .Net Developer/Analyst) through seek and also through internal connections.

Through seek, I almost never got an acknowledgement except a few. Then maybe 2 replied that I was not short listed.

Applications through internal connection went further to some exchange of emails and also had two skype interviews. At the end of the day, they told me to go to their office once I am in Brissy. I land in 3 weeks.

Very frustrating indeed because I feel that I was a very good match to the jobs applied. Like you, we are also on limited money and this creates lots of stress...

I'm really hoping that once in Brisbane, I'll get a positive response...

Good luck!

Cheers

B!K3R

Good luck!

I'm in a similar role and will contact agencies before I leave, to organise interviews once I land.

Heading over to Perth though.

Good luck!

I'm in a similar role and will contact agencies before I leave, to organise interviews once I land.

Heading over to Perth though.

Good luck to you too mate :smile: Yep, that's sounds like a good idea :wink:

Cheers

B!K3R

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Andy and Linda
Yes. Before we got our 176 Visa no one was interested, as soon as he applied stating his 176 Visa Approval he got a job offer (only sent off for three). He also got two yes (s), interested but call in once you arrive.

Best of luck. Leila x

What kind of job or sector was that? Thanks

Andy and Linda

Archived