Mining Jobs - No experience

Guest karldyble

hi people, I`m a joiner from the uk looking to come over to oz asap ( probably early next year) and would like to get into the mines. Is there a lot of jobs out there? would i get in without experience? Would i have to fund a lot of courses before i could get in? If you could shed ANY light at all, that would be appreciated.

Thanks, Michael

That is my understanding. What I don't understand is why the West Australian Government wanted to import over 100,000 workers,unskilled to various levels of skill into this state. Thankfully the Federal Government seemed to put obsticles in the way of them getting visas much to the disquiet of the West Australian State Government.

They were going to be on short term visas but where are these jobs? Why is it so difficult for locals to get so claimed positions? This does appear to have been conducted with limited publicity also.

There seems to be two possible explanations 1) potential growth ergo they anticipate more demand or 2) what I feel is more likely its a racket for the governments to rake in visa application fees at whatever rate that is times 100,000 not really rocket science as the whole system here eludes to shortages and plentiful jobs which are hardly the case. For once I think the Feds have it right, why import when you have the opportunity to employ locals something Britain should consider.

There seems to be two possible explanations 1) potential growth ergo they anticipate more demand or 2) what I feel is more likely its a racket for the governments to rake in visa application fees at whatever rate that is times 100,000 not really rocket science as the whole system here eludes to shortages and plentiful jobs which are hardly the case. For once I think the Feds have it right, why import when you have the opportunity to employ locals something Britain should consider.

Very true. Immigration is a massive money making concern here in Australia. It is somehard hard to imagine. The figure seems up to 150,000 Irish the State wanted to bring in on what they claim to be a short term basis. Almost beggers belief. Where do these folk live? Massive shortage now of rentals just for starters. Surely they wouldn't all be working in the north where the supposed jobs are. That figure would have a massine social impact as well.

The West Australian newspaper had a rather poorly written article about this yesterday......Corporate sector in favour,no doubt. All I know is an Irish Primary School Teacher,who somehow got out here to Perth eighteen months ago has had a very tough time getting any work, outside a bit of relief and has had to look to work where ever he can,which seems to be casual or short term.

I would very much like to know where all these jobs are.

Some general advice. I work in mining and a few things people need to consider. There are no shortages of unskilled staff for mining. We get bag loads of applications for entry level roles. That includes truck drivers which we consider entry level. Be aware that there is not big money at this level. For example we start underground truckies on $75k for a week of nights, then a week of days and then 6 days off. You may be stuck doing this for a long time (years). Pit truckies get a bit more, but that is the single most boring job on the planet. It's not unusual for people to last one swing!

Do think about how you will cope working away from family. There is good reason why mental illness is very prevalent in the industry.

If anyone has specific questions feel free to email me at cnellist@anglogolashanti.com

$75,000 is not a lot of money at all to work in such conditions. As you say away from home, along with in the heat and doing shift work in a pretty basic enviroment,I assume. Folk wouldn't earn too much less driving trucks in Perth,surely? I mean this whole thing about big money is a bit of a joke at the end of the day.

$75,000 is not a lot of money at all to work in such conditions. As you say away from home, along with in the heat and doing shift work in a pretty basic enviroment,I assume. Folk wouldn't earn too much less driving trucks in Perth,surely? I mean this whole thing about big money is a bit of a joke at the end of the day.

$75,000 that is way too low these days especially in WA our' start off on a lot more than that. Work for the miners on our site is 2 weeks (1 week nights, 1 week days) on 1 week off. This is actual mining as surface is just basically quarrying :P There is still a lot of hard manual labour to do so if you don't like getting your hands dirty and working 12 hours a day don't go underground.

• 5 weeks later...

Karldible, thank you for all that info I have put a post on here about HR/Dump truck / Excavator asking for advice

but you have made my day. I was going to go on holiday for three weeks and do them three courses above but now I am back to square one.

Let me explain I am 41 married with 4 kids I have no skilled occupation neither does my wife so I thought I would be able to do them courses and maybe get sponsored by a mining company then move over there seems easy but I new there would be hard work involved, with this in mind is there any other advice you can give me as regards how to get in to Australia with out having a skilled occupation once again thank you for all that info you put on above.

Thanks

Thomas

Aintree

Liverpool

UK

$75,000 that is way too low these days especially in WA our' start off on a lot more than that. Work for the miners on our site is 2 weeks (1 week nights, 1 week days) on 1 week off. This is actual mining as surface is just basically quarrying :P There is still a lot of hard manual labour to do so if you don't like getting your hands dirty and working 12 hours a day don't go underground.

We have a large pit and ug and actually pay ug now less than pit as there is bigger demand for experienced staff with pit experience across WA

$75k is about right for truckies/nippers just starting underground. This is still a lot of money for someone with no experience! Our miners work 7 days on, 7 days off then 7 nights on, 7 days off, they have it pretty cushy. We are advertising for truckies right now but only looking for people already living in Kal with truckie experience.

Our graduate geologist started last year on $80k. Her wage will progress more slowly than a miners, and she has a 4 year Masters degree for which she is $100k in debt. So $75k for a job with no prior experience and no qualifications is pretty good in my book! The big money comes later on when you're an experienced miner using the more technical machinery like the twin boom jumbo or long hole blasthole rig.

Unfortunately, and this is life, but even in mining booms you can't expect companies to ship whole families across the world who are unskilled. For unskilled positions they're going to try and hire from as close to home as possible. Our company will only relocate technical staff, and even then try and hire locally if possible. It's taken me 10 years (4 years of university and 6 years working) to get to the position I'm in.

Some general advice. I work in mining and a few things people need to consider. There are no shortages of unskilled staff for mining. We get bag loads of applications for entry level roles. That includes truck drivers which we consider entry level. Be aware that there is not big money at this level. For example we start underground truckies on $75k for a week of nights, then a week of days and then 6 days off. You may be stuck doing this for a long time (years). Pit truckies get a bit more, but that is the single most boring job on the planet. It's not unusual for people to last one swing!

Do think about how you will cope working away from family. There is good reason why mental illness is very prevalent in the industry.

If anyone has specific questions feel free to email me at cnellist@anglogolashanti.com

In addition to my personal interest, I have also been looking at the opportunities for young apprentices. Have yet to find/read anything indepth but it could also be an option for my 17 year old son. Is the training for apprentices carried out by the major mining companies or is it a generic course run through Taffe/Colleges?

Jack

In addition to my personal interest, I have also been looking at the opportunities for young apprentices. Have yet to find/read anything indepth but it could also be an option for my 17 year old son. Is the training for apprentices carried out by the major mining companies or is it a generic course run through Taffe/Colleges?

Jack

All of the big miners take apprenterships. Check out their web sites. Rio are advertising at the moment.

As for fourcorners comment, that is very true. Salaries do often progress more slowly than for miners. And it's not unusual at some mines for a truckie to start on more than a grad geo. However, while most unskilled miners will never reach the real big money such as jumbo's most geo's will get bigger money. Then there is the nature of the work. I can't imagine a more dull job than truckie. Particularly in a pit. While geo is one of the most interesting jobs on the planet and has given me e opportunity to work in countries around the world.

All of the big miners take apprenterships. Check out their web sites. Rio are advertising at the moment.

As for fourcorners comment, that is very true. Salaries do often progress more slowly than for miners. And it's not unusual at some mines for a truckie to start on more than a grad geo. However, while most unskilled miners will never reach the real big money such as jumbo's most geo's will get bigger money. Then there is the nature of the work. I can't imagine a more dull job than truckie. Particularly in a pit. While geo is one of the most interesting jobs on the planet and has given me e opportunity to work in countries around the world.

Yep what he said :yes:

We got a couple of new truckies about a month or two ago and they admit it is very boring already and will jump at a chance to get off them even for 5 min. From my experience so far i would say that the pay for us geo's gradually increases year on year where as the miners generally takes leaps depending upon what job they are doing with the top of the tree being the jumbo. I worked in the arctic circle before coming here so geology does take you everywhere but it can become a bit monotonous whilst on a mine.

Oo where were you in the Arctic Circle? I worked for a couple of weeks for Newmont at Hope Bay. That was monotonous as hell hence me scarpering off to a more interesting project. I think mine production can be pretty boring but I'm now a Resource Geo which is pretty cushy, although later this year I'll be applying for Competent Person status and will sign off all the resource for our company, eek! Which is a hell of a lot more responsible than any miners position, but I'll still be earning a lot less than even a jumbo operator. Hope they give me a decent pay rise...

Also the monotony is why I went for a residential job when we moved to Oz. I'd had enough of FIFO! But those of us on a 5/2 residential roster end up working 6 hours more per fortnight than the miners, and 10 hours more per fortnight than the production geos and engineers. Ah well!

But then again whilst geo's have the potential to earn far more over their career, you still don't come across many geos in the 40's or 50's. Particularly not in Oz. Our Exploration Manager is 32 years old, and thinks he knows it all unfortunately. I heard that in the last mining crash all the geo's went to be taxi drivers in Perth and never wanted to come back when it started picking up again!

Oo where were you in the Arctic Circle? I worked for a couple of weeks for Newmont at Hope Bay. That was monotonous as hell hence me scarpering off to a more interesting project. I think mine production can be pretty boring but I'm now a Resource Geo which is pretty cushy, although later this year I'll be applying for Competent Person status and will sign off all the resource for our company, eek! Which is a hell of a lot more responsible than any miners position, but I'll still be earning a lot less than even a jumbo operator. Hope they give me a decent pay rise...

Also the monotony is why I went for a residential job when we moved to Oz. I'd had enough of FIFO! But those of us on a 5/2 residential roster end up working 6 hours more per fortnight than the miners, and 10 hours more per fortnight than the production geos and engineers. Ah well!

But then again whilst geo's have the potential to earn far more over their career, you still don't come across many geos in the 40's or 50's. Particularly not in Oz. Our Exploration Manager is 32 years old, and thinks he knows it all unfortunately. I heard that in the last mining crash all the geo's went to be taxi drivers in Perth and never wanted to come back when it started picking up again!

I was out in greenland and luckily from the sounds of it got out before it went really bad. I want to get into the resource end but i don't think it will happen with my current company. I have to say though i do enjoy the banter that comes with working on a minesite. Production does have its perk with having most things you need provided for you, it could be a lot worse i could be core logging all the time. Yeah the FIFO is starting to drag a bit 8/6 sounds good but there normally isn't much you can do on your time off.

Guest Guest66881

All this talk of mining work makes me chuckle lately, yeah yeah theres money to be had (if you know someone already there)...maybe.

BUT, it is not all it is cracked up to be, who really wants to work in a hole or in a open cast situation in heat touching 50c some days holding a drill bigger than the side of your house vibrating into the side of some rocky surface?

I would rather live life now and watch my family grow up as a unit, in a nice steady job and grow older happy than slog it out for ten/fifteen years doing as said earlier to probably suffer from deafness and repetitive strain injuries in later life.

All this talk of mining work makes me chuckle lately, yeah yeah theres money to be had (if you know someone already there)...maybe.

BUT, it is not all it is cracked up to be, who really wants to work in a hole or in a open cast situation in heat touching 50c some days holding a drill bigger than the side of your house vibrating into the side of some rocky surface?

I would rather live life now and watch my family grow up as a unit, in a nice steady job and grow older happy than slog it out for ten/fifteen years doing as said earlier to probably suffer from deafness and repetitive strain injuries in later life.

Please don't take offence but i would say that your view is very much out of date. On the surface all the vehicles will have air-conditioning in and will be pretty much sound proofed including the drill rigs. Underground most of our drilling is done by drill rigs which are all hydraulic so there is very little manual handling (bar throwing rock bolts and mesh). Even the underground trucks have aircon and the boggers plus again are sound proofed as much as possible. Plus everyone even has to wear hearing protection with the drillers normally wearing plus as well as muffs. Very few places still use jacklegs, which are the hand held machines. I would say it is totally different these days

Edited by Rock Hound

Guest Guest66881

All good mate, maybe this is why so many want to get up there and go digging?

Not for me though, being away from family is not why i came over here.

• 2 months later...
Guest daniel1987

hi my name daniel am 27 from england ia. great post btw i was just wondering i have a dump truck digger forklift Cpcs ticket got over 6 years experience with them. iam moveing to perth nov 2012 would i need to do them again when i get over or can i just do a test for them as got experience. as am trying to get into the mines in perth , any were really because i can live anywere would it be best to move near a mineing site??

do u know of any company that doing the sampler or entry level or has that finished now iam willing to start from bottle like cleaning and maybe in time work my way back onto the machines as more than likely my tickets wont be no good in oz

any help or advice would be much helped many thanks daniel

hi my name daniel am 27 from england ia. great post btw i was just wondering i have a dump truck digger forklift Cpcs ticket got over 6 years experience with them. iam moveing to perth nov 2012 would i need to do them again when i get over or can i just do a test for them as got experience. as am trying to get into the mines in perth , any were really because i can live anywere would it be best to move near a mineing site??

do u know of any company that doing the sampler or entry level or has that finished now iam willing to start from bottle like cleaning and maybe in time work my way back onto the machines as more than likely my tickets wont be no good in oz

any help or advice would be much helped many thanks daniel

Hi

Your UK tickets are not valid in oz. I would research alot in to it mate, living in karratha - which is a mining town, you can get a bed for 350 a week in a shared house, perth on the other hand around 150+ a week.

If you PM me i will send you some info.

Ps. Your Spelling suxs :)

Guest undermilkwood

Hello Karl ive followed with interest all your threads and what a difference it makes when someone walks the road before you,would it be possible for us to skype,id like to chat with someone who's done it all as Id like to make the leap and start as a dillers offsider,there are also a few other helpful threads ive read and would appreciate any assistance to make a start.my skype contact is blulizard.many thanks and kind regards Simon