ACS Assessment ... Analyst Programmer (261311) or Developer Programmer (261312)

armandra

Hi There,

I'm in the process of applying for ACS skills assessment, but, really confused about nominating my occupation as Analyst Programmer (261311) or Developer Programmer (261212).

I've a IT degree with a lot of Software Engineering/Programming related subjects. Find below my duties/responsibilities:

• Understanding business/technical requirements
  • Communicating with the client team to clarify and finalise ambiguous or incomplete business/technical requirements
  • Developing applications as per the technical requirements specification
  • Reviewing developed program code
  • Developing of test scripts used in unit testing
  • Documenting test results
  • Fixing defects detected during the unit testing phase
  • Ensuring high-quality throughout the process

I'd be thankful if someone can help me with selecting an occupation. (I've observed that a lot of people opt for Developer Programmer and only a few for Analyst Programmer. Is this just me?)

Thanks,

armandra!

Hi There,

I'm in the process of applying for ACS skills assessment, but, really confused about nominating my occupation as Analyst Programmer (261311) or Developer Programmer (261212).

I've a IT degree with a lot of Software Engineering/Programming related subjects. Find below my duties/responsibilities:

• Understanding business/technical requirements

• Communicating with the client team to clarify and finalise ambiguous or incomplete business/technical requirements

• Developing applications as per the technical requirements specification

• Reviewing developed program code

• Developing of test scripts used in unit testing

• Documenting test results

• Fixing defects detected during the unit testing phase

• Ensuring high-quality throughout the process

I'd be thankful if someone can help me with selecting an occupation. (I've observed that a lot of people opt for Developer Programmer and only a few for Analyst Programmer. Is this just me?)

Thanks,

armandra!

Based on what you listed as your responsibilities I'd say Analyst Programmer sounds more like a fit, as some of the responsibilities are not only writing code, but also analysing requirements and dealing with customers, which are more of 'analysis' part of programing, and depending how much of your time was spent on coding vs anlsys part. If coding was 70-80% or more of your tasks than developer programmer is certanly more apopropriate, but if alnalysys part was 30% or more than you are analysts and developer.

Having said this, both codes are so close together, that one could easily argue either way and apply for either one of the two, and structure/and highlight letters of reference in such a way to favour one or the other.

Based on what you listed as your responsibilities I'd say Analyst Programmer sounds more like a fit, as some of the responsibilities are not only writing code, but also analysing requirements and dealing with customers, which are more of 'analysis' part of programing, and depending how much of your time was spent on coding vs anlsys part. If coding was 70-80% or more of your tasks than developer programmer is certanly more apopropriate, but if alnalysys part was 30% or more than you are analysts and developer.

Having said this, both codes are so close together, that one could easily argue either way and apply for either one of the two, and structure/and highlight letters of reference in such a way to favour one or the other.

Thanks for the capetosydney. Much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

armandra!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest slahoria

Hi Memebers,

I have similar sort of query but with a small difference ....My job title is business analyst for last 2.5 years but responsibilities are more on to analyst programmer and some on to developer programmer like 50% analyst programmer 30% developer programmer and 20% business analyst ...So does it make some impact if i choose analyst programmer for evaluation but my current job title in business analyst .....

thanks for reply