Rockhampton

Guest Jasp

Appreciate it's down to personal choice but, can anyone tell me what Rockhampton is like please? I am entertaining working there. My lad reckons its a small place, but that's from a young person's perspective. Is it a nice, clean, safe place to live OR, is there anywhere within an hour or so's travelling that you would recommend?

many thanks

Jasp

A place called Yeppoon. Small but much nicer than Rocky. Rocky isnt the best or safest place in my opinion but thats only my view. Only visited a few times but thats the feeling i got from it.

Guest guest32776

Oooof.... I'd leave Rockhampton well alone unless you can commute from somewhere a little more pleasant. bcfrug is probably right about Yeppoon - definitely nicer than Rocky.

Firstly I want to thank you all for your honesty. We lived in Adelaide and were quite spoilt by the place. There's a freeze on recruitment of international nurses over there (so my aussie friends and former colleagues tell me) so we're having to look for alternatives. Our sone has just come back from QLD (he stayed on and did the van-tour thing - went from a lad to a man in a year bless him). On asking him about Rocky he said (and I quote); "It's a Sh****le!!" I thought, maybe he's being a little negative (he lived in Bagarra/Bugarra and loved it). So, it all cross-references. We'd only have to work there (as we currently work in a similar 'hole' - Boston Lincolnshire, but live in a lovely Wolds Village 40 minutes drive from there, means that we could just view it as work and use it as just a means to an end and live elsewhere. Hey Guys/Gals, Many thanks again.

Jasp:notworthy:

• 4 months later...

Hi Jasp,

Did you ever get to Rockingham? I have a similar situation where I have been offered the potential of a job based out of Rockingham but would like to live somewhere suitable for my wife and two young boys, can you throw any light on the area??

Many thanks,

• 7 months later...
Guest SupportPants
Hi Jasp,

Did you ever get to Rockingham? I have a similar situation where I have been offered the potential of a job based out of Rockingham but would like to live somewhere suitable for my wife and two young boys, can you throw any light on the area??

Many thanks,

Rockingham is in WA. This is Rockhampton - Qld

• 4 weeks later...

Rockhampton and the surrounding area is very dull ive lived here for a while (875 visa only way to get in) and im only staying here as long as i have to. very hard to meet people and not much to do unless you like watching lots of tv. yeppoons ok but apart from the beach (better that uk beaches but nothing to write home about) theres less there than rockhampton. Rockhampton is a town thats very stereo typical queensland. people are friendly enough but seem to keep themselves to themselves and even though there is a uni people tend to leave and then come back when they start a family. Alot of graduates come from brisbane to get there first job in there field do a couple of years (if they can last that long) then go back to the city.

Its a good place to get work as not many people want to live here and the pay is good. Its better than gladstone in the sense that if you dont work in the mines you can still afford to rent somewhere. If your coming over for 2 years to get your visa and save money to buy your dream home and dont expect much then its ok.

Thanks rocky that's helpful I've been hoping for something positive but never hearing it so at least we can move there without high expectations. I'm hoping we might meet people through work but we'll just have to see going to take up sports aswell to try and mingle that way.

well keep in contact if you do come.

Theres everything in rocky that you need its not an out back town just i find it a bit dead. Theres a large shopping centre that they seem to be really proud of saying that its the biggest in queensland outside brisbane (dont know if thats true but 1/4 the size of lakeside) a cinema, theatre ect ect lacks real restaurants though has as many fast food restaurants as you would expect to see in america. but only a hand full of actual restaurants. the pubs are normally empty dont know how the stay in business but they are there

yeah definately drop my a pm with your email address. my oh is likely to be over thee quickly then I'll be heading over June time. I need to find a job before I head over ideally looks like gladstones my best shot I'm a chemist so any lab type work. Don't suppose you know any recruitment agents in rocky I can start sending my cv over want to avoid commuting but if needs must :) hope to meet u soon vicky

what sort of chemist work are you looking for?

theres loads of medical type work here as they have just expanded the hospital and theres a few private clinics ect rockhampton also has a flying doctors base so the main hospital serves for a very large area

have you tried seek?

i think there are a few agents never used one myself so couldnt recommend any loads come up when you google

I'm currently working as an analytical chemist which is lab based work never done medical but a medical lab blood testing n stuff could be an option. Not finding much on seek more things in Gladstone. I'll just keep hunting but I suppose it'll be easier when I get there. Thanks :)

• 5 months later...

Archived