So whos moving to Perth? Lets all chat

Guest jmorris

Guest ameliaandmatt

hello Jmorris we are moving to perth too hopefully in 2012 we are still in the early stages of planning. its all very exciting isnt it?! where abouts in Perth are you planning to live? we go on our reccie in a few weeks yay :smile:

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It comes from "reconnoiter" (the verb form of "reconnaissance"). ... basically to familiarise yourself with......

:wubclub:

Actually it comes more directly from "reconnaissance" being - in it's original spelling of recce - a contraction to just the first three letters and the last two letters of the word. The term was coined by the British military (the US military contracted the same word to just the first 5 letters "recon" - perhaps 5 letters is the most the military mind can cope with!).

Guest jmorris
hello Jmorris we are moving to perth too hopefully in 2012 we are still in the early stages of planning. its all very exciting isnt it?! where abouts in Perth are you planning to live? we go on our reccie in a few weeks yay :smile:

Hi that is great very exciting - it does not seem real yet for me.

Not sure what part were moving to yet, waiting till April when were in Perth to look about and more importantly see what jobs there are.. Don't want to travel too Far to work. What about u? What's jobs u looking for and area?

Jx

We went over to Perth June/July (Winter in Oz).

We had an amazing time over there and fell in love with the place as soon as we got off the plane.

We was very lucky with weather as it only rained a few times while we was over there mainly down in Pemberton. And it got a bit chilly in Albany.

But we had a fantastic time every day we was there and had to be dragged onto the plane to come home at the end of it all.

Just cant wait to get back there again.

So to those who are heading out have a safe trip and hope you love the place as much as we did .

Guest ameliaandmatt
Hi that is great very exciting - it does not seem real yet for me.

Not sure what part were moving to yet, waiting till April when were in Perth to look about and more importantly see what jobs there are.. Don't want to travel too Far to work. What about u? What's jobs u looking for and area?

Jx

I am a nurse and my partner works in IT so hopefully shouldnt be too difficult getting jobs. we were thinking about trying to get jobs in the city but the houses are soo expensive near the city centre. we have been looking at a couple of areas around the airport called wattle grove and forrestfield which both seem affordable and only 6 miles to the centre of perth which is great! im thinking with them being next to the airport though this would mean that maybe planes would fly over hence the cheap price lol! :wacko:

Hoping to make it out there first quater next year.

Wife has her visa (I'm an Aussie) and hoping to have tied up all the loose ends by then.

Already got accomodation sorted (a mate is putting us up to start with).

I'm a computer programmer, wife is a scheduler.

Looking foward to it.

Guest jmorris
I am lost, can some tell me wat reccie is? am lost. I'm a midwife, my husband is a nurse. We have 4 young kids 13, 8, 2 and 3 months looking to move to perth summer 2011. Have job offers around there.

oooo cool me to, tell me more. When you off, where you heading?

Guest jmorris
Hoping to make it out there first quater next year.

Wife has her visa (I'm an Aussie) and hoping to have tied up all the loose ends by then.

Already got accomodation sorted (a mate is putting us up to start with).

I'm a computer programmer, wife is a scheduler.

Looking foward to it.

Hi ya - thats great news.

Did you live in Perth before? If so what part. Have you got jobs to go to? Our friends in Perth have said they have found getting jobs easy and that they have not been hit by the recession as bad, do you think thats true?

Jay x

Hi ya - thats great news.

Did you live in Perth before? If so what part. Have you got jobs to go to? Our friends in Perth have said they have found getting jobs easy and that they have not been hit by the recession as bad, do you think thats true?

Jay x

Grew up in Armadale, and then Dalkeith. Will be moving to Bibra Lake.

No jobs as yet, but I've spoken to agencies etc. and will organise interviews for when I land.

My mates comment (he's in the mining industry) :

As far as jobs there are HEAPS here. The only people who are not working are the 'dole bludgers'

Guest Suz2011

Hi Everyone,

We are moving July next year hopefully, Me (Accountant)(40) OH (Steel Fabricator)(46) two sons 13 & 12. Heading to Aubin Grove, Success or one of the surrounding areas depending were we can find work. The house is going on the market in January and as soon as it sells we are off. If the house doesn't sell we will do a Reccie in July. We have never been to Australia before so taking a big risk but we are all looking forward to it. Good Luck to everyone.

Suz:jiggy:

Guest Andie33

Hello to all, fab post, we have been heading to brisbane for like, 4 years, until last week, when i suddenly woke up and went "Perth! we;re going to Perth thats it".....?? dunno why, just seems right all of a sudden. sometimes you gotta just go for it aint ya?! ;-).....

Im a nurse, hubs is a Network Engineer and so I am main visa and waiting for Registration, hoping to get out July-Sept 2011 and heading for Rockingham with our 21 month old son, been researching quite a bit, anyone have anything to good or bad to say about Rockingham, apart from the boy racers and dolees? lol....

Moving to Rockingham in three days( xmas day), myself, OH, kids 4,3,1. cant wait - got short term rental and eldest enrolled in school. The ideal time to be leaving cold snowy manchester. flights seem to be going on time up to now. Very excited.

Guest jmorris
Hi Everyone,

We are moving July next year hopefully, Me (Accountant)(40) OH (Steel Fabricator)(46) two sons 13 & 12. Heading to Aubin Grove, Success or one of the surrounding areas depending were we can find work. The house is going on the market in January and as soon as it sells we are off. If the house doesn't sell we will do a Reccie in July. We have never been to Australia before so taking a big risk but we are all looking forward to it. Good Luck to everyone.

Suz:jiggy:

Hi ya

Iv not been either lol big risk, but we only live once and regretting it is the bigger risk.

Any reason for those particular areas? We are still researching areas.

Good luck with house, we renting ours.

Jx

Guest jmorris
Moving to Rockingham in three days( xmas day), myself, OH, kids 4,3,1. cant wait - got short term rental and eldest enrolled in school. The ideal time to be leaving cold snowy manchester. flights seem to be going on time up to now. Very excited.

Wow sooo exciting hope the snow holds off. Have you been before? How did u find the flights with the kids? I'm not looking forward to that part. What made u choose rockinhham ?

Jx

Guest jmorris
Hello to all, fab post, we have been heading to brisbane for like, 4 years, until last week, when i suddenly woke up and went "Perth! we;re going to Perth thats it".....?? dunno why, just seems right all of a sudden. sometimes you gotta just go for it aint ya?! ;-).....

Im a nurse, hubs is a Network Engineer and so I am main visa and waiting for Registration, hoping to get out July-Sept 2011 and heading for Rockingham with our 21 month old son, been researching quite a bit, anyone have anything to good or bad to say about Rockingham, apart from the boy racers and dolees? lol....

Hi there seems to be lots of nurses heading to oz on here. They must need a break from the Nhs lol. Yes Perth seems to have it all, appeals to me as seems nice place for kids. I have a two year old aswell, I'm looking forward to taking him to interesting places within driving distance.

There seems to be good things about rockingham - why did u choose this place?

Jx

Hi just seen this post and we are moving to perth in april 2011 me hubby and 2 kids aged 8 and 14 got the flights got the start date on the job trying to sort out movers and a place to rent over there and organise our house to be rented lol

Lots of hours working to earn extra cash even at christmas grr :mad:

Guest jmorris
Hi just seen this post and we are moving to perth in april 2011 me hubby and 2 kids aged 8 and 14 got the flights got the start date on the job trying to sort out movers and a place to rent over there and organise our house to be rented lol

Lots of hours working to earn extra cash even at christmas grr :mad:

Wow how exciting, let us all no how you get on. Where Perth you going? How did u find it getting your job?

Good luck

Xxxxxx

Hi we are going to nedlands area I will be working at Hollywood hospital. I applyed direct to the hospital initially as a graduate nurse but now due to my experience here I wont be a new grad any more so I am going straight into the clinic cool.

I will let you all know how we get on I am very nervous and trying to organise accomadation is so not fun nor the shippers or arranging to rent out our house.

The saga and stress of it all eek !!:arghh:

Hi,

so now that we have our visas, what next? I keep on making lists of things to do:

*australian bank account (can do that online)

*tax file number - havent got a clue how to do this, will google

*do we need to inform tax office here that we are emigrating? i heard that we may be entitled to some form of tax refund?

*the list is endless, need to transfer pension over when i get there but im sure my new employer will be able to help (i'm a nurse)

lots to do, we got our visa 17th dec, have handed my notice in (very scary) ,shipping company coming 12th jan, officially start my job 21st feb, going to book flights this week to go arounf 26th jan....just waiting to hear from emirates re ?extra baggage allowance as we are emigrating.

its a bit stressful, but in a good way. are you all feeling sick with a mixture of excitement and nerves ha ha.

Good luck everyone, Cx

Guest jmorris

Hi ya

See PDF booklets in immigration website I'm sure one of them gives advice on tax number, do let us no how u get on. We have sorted our online account a d will activate it in April on our reccie.

Beginning a life in Australia

Hi,

so now that we have our visas, what next? I keep on making lists of things to do:

*australian bank account (can do that online)

*tax file number - havent got a clue how to do this, will google

*do we need to inform tax office here that we are emigrating? i heard that we may be entitled to some form of tax refund?

*the list is endless, need to transfer pension over when i get there but im sure my new employer will be able to help (i'm a nurse)

lots to do, we got our visa 17th dec, have handed my notice in (very scary) ,shipping company coming 12th jan, officially start my job 2G1st feb, going to book flights this week to go arounf 26th jan....just waiting to hear from emirates re ?extra baggage allowance as we are emigrating.

its a bit stressful, but in a good way. are you all feeling sick with a mixture of excitement and nerves ha ha.

Good luck everyone, Cx

All went well on flight, all kids slept right through second leg as it was our night time and woke just in time for breakfast and landing. We however did not, so when the kids were raring to go we were very tired. A few days of jet lag and we are just about back to normal. Absolutely loving it up to now, although a little stressfull a times, the joys already outway the small stresses that come with moving anywhere.

We are just in the process of exploring and deciding our final destination. We were tied between safety bay for the beach and settlers hill for the community feel. But Rockingham town itself with the lovely beach has now also been thrown in to the mix.

Looking forward to meeting some new people.

Zoe