So whos moving to Perth? Lets all chat

Guest jmorris

Guest jmorris

We are moving to Perth Summer 2011. Got Reccie in April for 2 weeks and we can not wait.

I am a PE teacher (33) and my huspand is in recruitment (32), we have 2 kids (2 and 6). We have a few friends in Perth already but I would love to share this scarey experience with others.

Jxx

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear your news Lisa  i hope that you manage to find a way around it.

We are arriving on temp 457 24th December but hubby staying out to start his job and I'm coming home 14th jan to hopefully sell the house! (Please god!) I'm hoping to be back there April, if not sooner.

The emotional roller coaster is unbearable. But know it's all for a good reason.

Where in Perth are you heading for!

Guest jmorris
Sorry to hear your news Lisa  i hope that you manage to find a way around it.

We are arriving on temp 457 24th December but hubby staying out to start his job and I'm coming home 14th jan to hopefully sell the house! (Please god!) I'm hoping to be back there April, if not sooner.

The emotional roller coaster is unbearable. But know it's all for a good reason.

Where in Perth are you heading for!

We don't no, iv been researching areas and schools, I think it will depend on jobs and a bit of luck. Where are you heading?

It is difficult to pin down an area until we visit in April, how will u decide ?

Regards

Jay

Hi we are myself (engineer) 28 and wife (engineer) 30 and daughter 4 hoping to head over late next year. NOR we are looking at possibly. Maybe a semi private school in Joondalup area and will wait and see i guess closer to the time. Great thread though. All the Perth gang can keep in touch etc.

Guest jmorris
Hi we are myself (engineer) 28 and wife (engineer) 30 and daughter 4 hoping to head over late next year. NOR we are looking at possibly. Maybe a semi private school in Joondalup area and will wait and see i guess closer to the time. Great thread though. All the Perth gang can keep in touch etc.

Hi ya

Yea it looks nice NOR and cheaper, just depends where my husband gets offered a job.

Have you and your wife got jobs to go to? It is such a big decision to up roots and emigrate - what made you decide? I was sick of being cool and teaching PE in the rain lol.

My sister and mother in law have not been very supportive so far but are coming around slowly,anyone else having this problem.

Well to be honest everyone has been very supportive to us so we are lucky that way.

We have always liked the idea of moving to Oz but i guess in recent years we have come to the conclusion that we will both probably have to continue working full time until we are 65 if we want any kind of satisfactory lifestyle here in Ireland.

We both work very hard and are on good salarys but still we tend to be in a rat race. We work hard and just manage to get by. We think that we will have a slightly different lifestyle in Oz and we both plan to work in Oz but maybe my wife may work part time. We feel that we can have more family time together in Oz and far less expensive. There is no free fun in Ireland to be honest. Parks are wet and cold and vandalised. The beaches are terrible here and just Ireland is a very negative place to be bringing up Kids so thats the main reason. We dont plan on making a fortune in Oz or do we expect a wonderfull life but just a slightly more enjoyable one. We both love the outdoors and camping etc so feel this is a good move for us. Thats it in a nutshell. Oh plus the healthcare in Oz is far better than Ireland IMO so there a many factors so time will tell i guess.

Cheers

Guest jmorris
Well to be honest everyone has been very supportive to us so we are lucky that way.

We have always liked the idea of moving to Oz but i guess in recent years we have come to the conclusion that we will both probably have to continue working full time until we are 65 if we want any kind of satisfactory lifestyle here in Ireland.

We both work very hard and are on good salarys but still we tend to be in a rat race. We work hard and just manage to get by. We think that we will have a slightly different lifestyle in Oz and we both plan to work in Oz but maybe my wife may work part time. We feel that we can have more family time together in Oz and far less expensive. There is no free fun in Ireland to be honest. Parks are wet and cold and vandalised. The beaches are terrible here and just Ireland is a very negative place to be bringing up Kids so thats the main reason. We dont plan on making a fortune in Oz or do we expect a wonderfull life but just a slightly more enjoyable one. We both love the outdoors and camping etc so feel this is a good move for us. Thats it in a nutshell. Oh plus the healthcare in Oz is far better than Ireland IMO so there a many factors so time will tell i guess.

Cheers

That is great that you have so much support, and they are great reasons to get out. They are similar reasons to us and im sure many others - time will tell. So what visa have you got? We have 175 so if we dont get on in Perth we may try NSW, but Perth to me has it all. Why did you both choose Perth?

I am looking forward to our reccie in Perth, we have soo much to do. Ooo that has to be a thread - must dos on a reccie to Perth.

Jay xxx

Hi Jay,

Yeh good reasons to get out and we are in no mad hurry so once we get there for Jan 2012 for our daughter starting year 1 we will be happy. Saving like mad to be honest at the minute.

We have State Sponsership to Perth and are on the SMP so thats the main reason. We looked at QLD originally but couldnt get sponsership there so Perth was our second choice but we are happy with it now after our research. We are on a 175 Visa too. We know absolutely no one in Perth so we will be all on our own but we will give it a go.

Im a fitter by trade so plenty of that work there but im a maintenance engineer here in Ireland so hoping not to go back on the tools but if i have to i will.

Anything else you need to know drop me a PM and look forward to the Perth Reccie Thread

We don't no, iv been researching areas and schools, I think it will depend on jobs and a bit of luck. Where are you heading?

It is difficult to pin down an area until we visit in April, how will u decide ?

Regards

Jay

Hi Jay, great thread. We are heading for Aveley initially but we are going to have a good look around and rent at first. We like the open spaces around Aveley but would like to be a bit closer to the beach. Hubby's job in Wangara so would be nicer to be a bit closer to his work as he will by cycling! :yes:

Hi All. I am 31 a Solid Plasterer and My Wife 28, 2 Kids, 9 and 6 Months are all moving to Perth hopefully next year. Have already got state sponsorship from June this year so with our occupation on the list hoping the via will now be processed quicker. Have a couple of friends out in Perth already. Reports are really good at the minute. I have a friend who has lived there for the past 6 years and he raves about the place. I think it's the better quality of life for the kids that we are looking forward to! Hope we all can keep in touch here cos it is a real leap in-to the unknown!!!

Guest jmorris
Hi All. I am 31 a Solid Plasterer and My Wife 28, 2 Kids, 9 and 6 Months are all moving to Perth hopefully next year. Have already got state sponsorship from June this year so with our occupation on the list hoping the via will now be processed quicker. Have a couple of friends out in Perth already. Reports are really good at the minute. I have a friend who has lived there for the past 6 years and he raves about the place. I think it's the better quality of life for the kids that we are looking forward to! Hope we all can keep in touch here cos it is a real leap in-to the unknown!!!

Yes great reports from my friends to, they are always out and about. Innate being cooped up indoors over winter, my two boys get cabin fever and need to run about. I'm looking forward to picnics on the beach heading to th pool for a dip.

Yes do keep in touch, it's good to get advice and reports from others going through the same experience.

Jay xxxx

Guest tracentel

Hi Jay.

We are flying out to Perth on 6th March. Got visas Sept 09 and went on reccie this June and loved it. I know its not the same when your on holiday, but we did a lot of useful stuff like open bank accounts, look at properties, suburbs etc... and a bit of sightseeing too. In a short time I really felt like it was the right place for us.

There is me, my OH who is a joiner, and our 5yr old daughter, and we are quite set on Butler in the northern suburbs.

I have had many wobblers along the way, one very recently when we sold our house and another when I handed my notice in at work after 22yrs, all very scary stuff. OK again at the mo but dreading leaving family when the time comes. It would be really good to keep in touch with people moving to the same area and going through the same feelings.

Maybe even by the time you're ready to make the move I'll be able to help in some way having already done it.

Was on poms in oz throughout our visa process but forgot passwords dozens of times, so have registered as a new user again.

Gud luck with everything and enjoy your reccie (we'll be there by then!)

Trace xx

Hi Jay.

We are flying out to Perth on 6th March. Got visas Sept 09 and went on reccie this June and loved it. I know its not the same when your on holiday, but we did a lot of useful stuff like open bank accounts, look at properties, suburbs etc... and a bit of sightseeing too. In a short time I really felt like it was the right place for us.

There is me, my OH who is a joiner, and our 5yr old daughter, and we are quite set on Butler in the northern suburbs.

I have had many wobblers along the way, one very recently when we sold our house and another when I handed my notice in at work after 22yrs, all very scary stuff. OK again at the mo but dreading leaving family when the time comes. It would be really good to keep in touch with people moving to the same area and going through the same feelings.

Maybe even by the time you're ready to make the move I'll be able to help in some way having already done it.

Was on poms in oz throughout our visa process but forgot passwords dozens of times, so have registered as a new user again.

Gud luck with everything and enjoy your reccie (we'll be there by then!)

Trace xx

Hi Trace

Butler was the area we were set on as well. My wife has another friend who lives there. From what you have seen would you reccommend it. I'd say you have checked out schools etc and have alot of good info on it??

Guest tracentel

Hi there,

yeah we have a friend in Butler whose 2 boys go to school there and he only has good things to say about it.

I have only researched on the internet re schools and there are 2 primary schools in Butler. The nearest catholic school is in quinns rocks, but they are like private schools here in that you have to pay, although not as expensive.

I just found butler with it's park, shops, and more importantly a pub on the corner, just felt a nice place. It's far enough away from the city that you seem to get a bit more house for your money, and apparently when we where there we were told there's a whole new town the size of Joondalup being built just a few miles north, as well as many more developing suburbs. Train currently stops in Clarkson, but by 2012 will stop at Butler.

I have only limited knowledge from my stay and our friend there, but come March I will know more first hand

Trace x

Hi there,

yeah we have a friend in Butler whose 2 boys go to school there and he only has good things to say about it.

I have only researched on the internet re schools and there are 2 primary schools in Butler. The nearest catholic school is in quinns rocks, but they are like private schools here in that you have to pay, although not as expensive.

I just found butler with it's park, shops, and more importantly a pub on the corner, just felt a nice place. It's far enough away from the city that you seem to get a bit more house for your money, and apparently when we where there we were told there's a whole new town the size of Joondalup being built just a few miles north, as well as many more developing suburbs. Train currently stops in Clarkson, but by 2012 will stop at Butler.

I have only limited knowledge from my stay and our friend there, but come March I will know more first hand

Trace x

Thanks so much for that. It's definitely appealing to us as well. Definitely keep in touch as it would be great to have info from someone already there.

Best of luck!:wink:

Guest tracentel

No probs.

We have had so much info and help from this site during our visa process, that if I can help in anyway once we are there it would be my pleasure x

Yes great reports from my friends to, they are always out and about. Innate being cooped up indoors over winter, my two boys get cabin fever and need to run about. I'm looking forward to picnics on the beach heading to th pool for a dip.

Yes do keep in touch, it's good to get advice and reports from others going through the same experience.

Jay xxxx

I don't mean to rain on your parade Jay but Perth gets statistically more rain than Manchester and it is all concentrated into the winter months. There will be no dips in the pool in winter I am afraid and picnics on the beach can be few and far between.

Guest jmorris
they have changed the PR visa to having 7yrs experience and i only have 2. didnt want a employer sponsored visa as didnt want to work full time. have some serious thinking to do now :sad:

Sorry to hear that, good luck with your plans xx

Guest jmorris
I don't mean to rain on your parade Jay but Perth gets statistically more rain than Manchester and it is all concentrated into the winter months. There will be no dips in the pool in winter I am afraid and picnics on the beach can be few and far between.

Hi

Yea my friends in Perth said winter was cold, however when chatting over the months the temp was very similar to our summer lol.

I have the weather fotcast app for my iPhone and compare weather regularly, overall Perth comes out on top. I love gardening so rain is always welcome.

Are you livening in perth ? How r u finding it?

Hi

Yea my friends in Perth said winter was cold, however when chatting over the months the temp was very similar to our summer lol.

I have the weather fotcast app for my iPhone and compare weather regularly, overall Perth comes out on top. I love gardening so rain is always welcome.

Since I have arrived in August its barely rained - which is a problem for the farmers I work with but great beach weather.

I am lost, can some tell me wat reccie is? am lost. I'm a midwife, my husband is a nurse. We have 4 young kids 13, 8, 2 and 3 months looking to move to perth summer 2011. Have job offers around there.

Guest siamsusie
I am lost, can some tell me wat reccie is? am lost. I'm a midwife, my husband is a nurse. We have 4 young kids 13, 8, 2 and 3 months looking to move to perth summer 2011. Have job offers around there.

It comes from "reconnoiter" (the verb form of "reconnaissance"). ... basically to familiarise yourself with......

:wubclub:

Hi

I have been here over 5 years and love it, it's home. But the winter although temperature wise may be on a par with UK after a few years anything less than 20 degrees will feel VERY cold. Just don't be under the illusion that it is wall to wall sunshine all year.

Archived