Australia secondary school education system vs your country ?

Cedric

Hi there,

this tread is not intended to be polemical. I am a biology teacher in a secondary school willing to migrate to Australia. As such, I am interested to find out about the australian school system and the way it can be compared or distinguished from other systems.

According to PISA standards, Australia stands above the OECD average for student performance in mathematics ( Error[]=&regions[]=&indicator=1&domain=1&95conf=on&mid90percent=on&meanMale=on&meanFemale=on&oecdAv=on&sortOrder=mean&1_options=true&theme=1&cmd=storeGraphRequest&requestid=1291803140055&items=2&)

However, looking at the Naplan test 2010 for year 9, I was struck by the level of the questions asked in the numeracy test which seemed to me to be very easy for kids 13-14 of age. (http://www.naplan.edu.au/verve/_resources/nap10_numeracy_9_calc.pdf) :chatterbox:.

Am I missing something ? How would you compare the australian school system versus the one of your country ?

Cheers,

Hi there,

this tread is not intended to be polemical. I am a biology teacher in a secondary school willing to migrate to Australia. As such, I am interested to find out about the australian school system and the way it can be compared or distinguished from other systems.

According to PISA standards, Australia stands above the OECD average for student performance in mathematics ( Error[]=&regions[]=&indicator=1&domain=1&95conf=on&mid90percent=on&meanMale=on&meanFemale=on&oecdAv=on&sortOrder=mean&1_options=true&theme=1&cmd=storeGraphRequest&requestid=1291803140055&items=2&)

However, looking at the Naplan test 2010 for year 9, I was struck by the level of the questions asked in the numeracy test which seemed to me to be very easy for kids 13-14 of age. (http://www.naplan.edu.au/verve/_resources/nap10_numeracy_9_calc.pdf) :chatterbox:.

Am I missing something ? How would you compare the australian school system versus the one of your country ?

Cheers,

That test does not seem easy at all to me? Yes the first few questions are always easy but then it gets harder quickly. I recently wrote GCSE Maths (in my old age!) and did a lot of practise papers and there were many similar questions.

We're South African and we are really impressed with UK schools and thus was also quite worried about Australian standards. But as you say Australia does much better than the UK according to PISA - so they must be doing something right. They are also number 9 in the world for reading.

That test does not seem easy at all to me? Yes the first few questions are always easy but then it gets harder quickly. I recently wrote GCSE Maths (in my old age!) and did a lot of practise papers and there were many similar questions.

We're South African and we are really impressed with UK schools and thus was also quite worried about Australian standards. But as you say Australia does much better than the UK according to PISA - so they must be doing something right. They are also number 9 in the world for reading.

Thank you for you commentary Sibella.

As for what regards Australia's performance vs Uk in the PISA tests, I think that an element of response may be found in the tension that is to be faced in each school system between an elitist vision of the school system vs a vision primarily oriented toward a politic of "success for all". E.g the case of France, which has a strong tradition in educating an elite in mathematics and nevertheless performs poorly in the PISA test.

Guest Weedy Sea Dragon

In my experience of both UK and Australia - both as parent and teacher I think a lot depends on your children and what suits them best.

I find the australian system more focused on independent learning, right through from primary to secondary level and I see the australian primary aged children full of confidence and interest.

The australian system is not being strangled by a national curriculum, particularly at secondary level - I like to think Australia turns out students who have studied a broad curriculum rather than a 'macdonalds' version of education offered currently in the UK.

The National Curriculum is on its way in Australia and I hope that they don't make the same mistakes that the Uk has and is making.

If there is anyone worried about educating their children in Australia I would say that they shouldn't be worried at all - like anywhere there will be good and bad schools so do your research.

That's an insightful response, thank you Weedy Sea Dragon.

Still, I am not really worried the educational outcome of my children since I have none (still) :laugh: but rather about the working conditions for a teacher there (I am a teacher myself and a would be migrant) and the australian education system as a whole.

Cheers !

Guest guest32776

I don't know if my experience is representative of all the states in Oz but I have noticed a massive difference in learning levels between state education and the Catholic/independent schools. The literacy levels for year 9s in the Catholic were, I believe, about four to five years ahead of state. The Catholic schools seem to offer much better opportunities across the board, the resources were alot better, teachers more motivated etc The main problem for a prospective teacher is that it is much harder to find work anywhere you might want to live. I am an english/business teacher yet I work in a shoe shop as Ed Qld sends you to the Outback/communities until you have enough 'regional' points!! To work in the better Catholic sector you need a Spiritual referee - ie a priest ... It seems that unfortunately Father Ted Crilly doesn't count...:

Guest Weedy Sea Dragon
That's an insightful response, thank you Weedy Sea Dragon.

Still, I am not really worried the educational outcome of my children since I have none (still) :laugh: but rather about the working conditions for a teacher there (I am a teacher myself and a would be migrant) and the australian education system as a whole.

Cheers !

Are you looking to settle in a particular state?

I can only speak from my own experience as a migrant secondary teacher in Victoria.

I have met quite a few UK teachers who have settled well - all appear to be working in their chosen fields although some are having to teach in other subject areas aswell (this is quite common).

There also seems to be a lot of supply work (not my cup of tea but I know of some teachers who are choosing to work in this way).

I think if you are in the sciences and can teach some maths you would be in great demand - much like the UK in that respect.

Again, much would depend on the school, staff, students etc as to whether you felt you had made the right move - but in terms of working conditions, I have found them to be at least on par with the UK. The bonus though is that I get to enjoy Australia in my spare time - and in my case this gives me a much better lifestyle than the UK was able to offer.

Thank you Charlie 666 and Weedy Sea Dragon for those useful precision.

Charlie, you have brought out an interesting point. I didn't figure out that there could be such a difference between private and public schools.

For the rest, I am fully aware that working as a teacher will surely involve doing supply jobs. I have done it in the past, and could do it again, although, I am not very fond of that kind of job, just like you Weedy Sea Dragon.

In that respect, I hope that my desire to settle in the country rather than in one of the big cities would bring me more job opportunities. I am considering two settling options at the moment: the first one would be applying for the vic SS and settle in south east Victoria (Gippsland region) where, according to the victorian government, there is demand for teachers. And the second one would be to try my luck with ACT, for we have a friend who could support us in case of necessity. I would prefer to go for Victoria but I am waiting what the next SMP will look like (I intend to start the migration process next july).

I also know that the ability to teach some mathematics would be a great advantage, especially considering that if science teachers are sought after, it is much more chemist and physics teachers that are in shortage (biology teacher seem to be in oversupply :confused:according to a report I have read).

I did actually teach mathematics as a casual teacher in secondary lower level before, but don't have the formal qualification as in Switzerland you can do supply job in mathematics being a science teacher for there's also shortages. Does the same situation exist in Australia ?

• 9 months later...

Archived