GSM & PMV question - pretty urgent

Guest jolo79

Hi everyone

Well i found a course and applied for my student visa, my case officer rang today to say he would grant it but without any work permission - who can afford to study and not work?!?!?! he said my other option was to apply offshore but even then it would be granted without permission to work hmmm. I am currently working to save for college and cant afford to quit right now - course due to start in feb

So i headed to immigration in Brisbane to do some research and think i am eligable to apply for a general skilled migrant visa as a general manager, the points i reach are 110 but i spoke to someone on the gen helpline and she said as long as i get it up to 120 during the processing time im cool.BUT as im on a bridging visa A i cant apply for it??? the bridging visa is an extension of my first whv so why cant i apply??

If i apply offshore is that a different case? but then can i continue to come back to oz and work?

Second q is re the pmv...can i apply for the pmv offshore (say nz) but come back to oz to my job while the decision is being made, then leave once it will be granted??

Please any help would be appreciated, the stress is beginning to turn me into an emotional nut job!!!!!!

Jo

Hi Jo,

If I were you I would start by speaking to a Registered Migration Agent (RMA) to find out which is best for you.

If by PMV you mean the Prospective Marriage Visa, you must go offshore to apply for that one. Once granted you will have 9 months from the date you enter Australia to marry and apply for the Onshore Partner Visa. That is a provisional visa. I think you will have to sort out your existing situation first before applying for this and I think an expert RMA is your best bet here.

Whatever you do next, make sure you talk to an expert before making any further decisions. It will save you time, stress and money.

Good luck.

Hi everyone

Well i found a course and applied for my student visa, my case officer rang today to say he would grant it but without any work permission - who can afford to study and not work?!?!?! he said my other option was to apply offshore but even then it would be granted without permission to work hmmm. I am currently working to save for college and cant afford to quit right now - course due to start in feb

So i headed to immigration in Brisbane to do some research and think i am eligable to apply for a general skilled migrant visa as a general manager, the points i reach are 110 but i spoke to someone on the gen helpline and she said as long as i get it up to 120 during the processing time im cool.BUT as im on a bridging visa A i cant apply for it??? the bridging visa is an extension of my first whv so why cant i apply??

If i apply offshore is that a different case? but then can i continue to come back to oz and work?

Second q is re the pmv...can i apply for the pmv offshore (say nz) but come back to oz to my job while the decision is being made, then leave once it will be granted??

Please any help would be appreciated, the stress is beginning to turn me into an emotional nut job!!!!!!

Jo

My thoughts on the options one at a time. Firstly you mention you are on a bridging visa, is that a bridging visa between the WHV and the student visa you mention?

Student visa - very surprised to hear that, I did not think that they varied the conditions of the visa on a case by case basis. My understanding is that permission to work comes with the visa ...

GSM - this is an offshore visa, you could apply for it, but it isn't going to sort out any short term problem. You cannot get a bridging visa to an offshore visa and thus unless you had another valid visa you would not be able to live and work in Australia whilst it is processed.

PMV - like the GSM is an offshore visa, so you cannot bridge to it and unless you have a compeltely different visa you will not be able to live and work in Australia whilst it is granted.

So of the three options that you have mentioned, the student visa looks like the only one that would give you an option of staying in the immediate future. As I mention, puzzled about that working rule, never seen anyone mention that before.

If you are considering the PMV then you must have an OH in the picture. Can they not sponsor you for a partner visa now?

Thank you everyone for your help and information, heaps better and quicker than queing up in the immigration office. I have been very fortunate and have been offered sponsorship by the company i am working for (457) so happy days :biggrin:!!!!! Feels like a huge weight lifted from my shoulders and the best xmas pressie ever!! No more thoughts of flying back to Dublin to hit the dole ques and leaving my man behind

Can anyone tell me if i need to be offshore to lodge this application?

Thanks again for all your help

Jo

Archived