Advice on importing a motorbike (not the usual q's).

Pozz

Hi guys, I do understand that you need to have owned a vehicle for 12 months prior to importing.

But...

Im over here on a 457 for 4 years and hopefully will get pr/856 in this time. Im really missing being on a bike and would ideally like my old one back (or a replacement).

If I bought a motorbike whilst on a trip to the uk and stored it at my parents, then shipped it over after obtaining pr and had theoretically owned it for a year would I be breaking the rules?

If i could find the same bike here i would'nt worry but they are like the proverbial hens teeth over here!

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Pozz, the best person to talk to about bikes is one of our members Furkew (Paul) if you bought it over there and waited 12 months before shipping I would have thought that would have been fine, but honestly I am not 100%.

Guest chris955

You must have owned AND USED the bike for the full 12 month period. You must be able to prove you were in the UK for that period and have insurance documents etc to show it was being used.

You must have owned AND USED the bike for the full 12 month period. You must be able to prove you were in the UK for that period and have insurance documents etc to show it was being used.

Thats not hard just insure it in the uk ,as for using it I had mine for a year and didnt use it due to an injury ,just need a uk address

Guest chris955

As I say you have to be able to prove you were in the UK for that period, having an address over there isnt enough. They require photocopies of all the pages in your passport.

I am watching this thread with interest.

I live in the UK.

I bought my dream bike (it isn't made anymore but was never registered and had zero miles on the clock - a total one off purchase) two weeks before being offered a job in Sydney completely out of the blue.

I have accepted the job and move over in April.

I won't have owned the bike for 12 months before coming over and have just started to check out options of shipping this thing over at some point in the future. I really don't want to lose it or leave it behind forever!! :(

• 4 months later...

Im still trying to decide what to do here....:confused:

I have a couple of ideas;

My step daughter is'nt moving over for a year or more, so theoretically she could buy a bike and ship it over when she moves. Then sells it to me. (sounds too easy).

I buy one from the UK and ship it, and pay import tax.

Can this be done?

Im still trying to decide what to do here....:confused:

I have a couple of ideas;

My step daughter is'nt moving over for a year or more, so theoretically she could buy a bike and ship it over when she moves. Then sells it to me. (sounds too easy).

I buy one from the UK and ship it, and pay import tax.

Can this be done?

We're looking to import my OH's car but I think you'll find once it's imported your step daughter can't sell it for two years once in Aus. I wonder if she could add you to her insurance policy though. Good luck though

Guest chris955

I have imported several bikes over the years and have never been restricted as far as selling them, although I haven't. It could be different if you are a citizen, temp resident etc ?

Archived