Secondary School education

Guest Di 44

My son is in year 10 at the minute half way through his GCSEs in the UK, and we will be moving to Western Australia July 2011. Does Western Australia schools use GCSE or will he have to catch up alot of work in order to take a different course and what age do they study upto. D.O.B - 23.7.96

My son is in year 10 at the minute half way through his GCSEs in the UK, and we will be moving to Western Australia July 2011. Does Western Australia schools use GCSE or will he have to catch up alot of work in order to take a different course and what age do they study upto. D.O.B - 23.7.96

Nope, it is a foreign country with totally different educational standards and assessments so GCSEs are essentially irrelevant in the big scheme of things.

School leaving age is 17 pretty much universally in Australia at the moment (some states are talking about 18 but dont know if that will happen)

As your son will be 15 in July 2011 I am not quite sure where his age cohort will be but it will be either year 9 or year 10 in 2011 - WA had a change over year to be in line with much of the rest of the country and the cut off date is now 30 June so if he is in the "new" lot then he will be year 9 but if he is in the "old" lot he will be year 10 - someone from WA will be along shortly I am sure.

The most important thing is that he is there for the start of year 11 which is the beginning of the 2 year course leading to Year 12 assessments which are then the requirement for university and other post school options.

Dont worry about the name of the year level - it wont be "repeating" "going back" or anything else, it will be fitting in with his age cohort in a totally foreign system. However, that said, he is likely to find himself well ahead of his WA peers.

'As your son will be 15 in July 2011 I am not quite sure where his age cohort will be but it will be either year 9 or year 10 in 2011'

I'm pretty sure he'll be in year 10. He's the same age as our middle daughter and she would be in year 10 there next year if we were still in Perth. The changeover was the following year I seem to remember.

Hi My daughter was born Feb '95 and she's just coming to the end of year Year 10. She's our eldest so this is our first time of going through TEE's, there are different levels of each course providing different pathways (depending on your final scores) to Uni, TAFE etc., what you're aiming for, they also offer vocational courses

96 DOB is Yr10 2011, student in WA can stay in school up til 18 - they have to be be in FT ed, traineeship or work. The school year starts in February here so he will join half way through the year - he will get some choice as to what he does but that choice may be limited due to course selection for yr9`s going into yr10 having been done already. Saying that the Yr10 subjects tend to be tasters with different subjects in each semester - gives them a taste of what they might like to do in Yrs 11 & 12.

Give the school as much info as you can - reports etc . Bear in mind that schools offer Vocational Education & Training too -loads of different choices and pathways out there.:cute:

Thank you to everyone for all your help and advice it has really helped. Is there some website that is a good one for getting the years and cut offs for primary school and secondary schools as I have 2 other childen my youngest is 4 DOB 20/11/2006 and my other daughter is 12 DOB 25/11/1998. In secondary schools are they mixed or single sexed

Critical years in Australia are year 11 and 12 , would be in year 9 or 10 depending on the state so you should not have to worry re catch up more getting used to a different education system prior to last 2 years of school.

• 1 month later...

How do I find out which secondary schools are good and bad in western australia.

My wish list would be a school that plays football and netball, which has good results and a good reputation. Clarkson community high does these sports but I believe that it does not have a good reputation can anyone advise if this is true or not. My children are 12 (25/11/2008) and 14 (23/7/2006) My son lives and breaths football and I think he is a good player any advises on where I find out about football clubs

How do I find out which secondary schools are good and bad in western australia.

My wish list would be a school that plays football and netball, which has good results and a good reputation. Clarkson community high does these sports but I believe that it does not have a good reputation can anyone advise if this is true or not. My children are 12 (25/11/2008) and 14 (23/7/2006) My son lives and breaths football and I think he is a good player any advises on where I find out about football clubs

I am sure you mean 1996 and 1998 :biggrin:

Your son will enter year 10 in 2011 and your daughter will enter year 7. Ocean Reef SHS and Woodvale SHS both have soccer programmes.

• 1 year later...
Guest ausinuk

Hi

My 2 sons will be going to live in Bunbury in June, can anyone tell me what years they will be going in to.

1 aged 15 will be 16 on 9th June

1 aged 13 will be 14 on 22nd April

Also any information which are the best schools in and around Bunbury area would be most appreciated. Still haven't decided where abouts we will be staying.

All information will be greatly appreciated.