your help needed please

Guest lynthepoet

Guest lynthepoet

I am going to start college soon and will be training as a counsellor and also will be training as a youth worker this should take about 2/3 years? Will this job secure me a place in OZ???? Or is it better to go to oz and get a job offer there and go about it that way. It will just be myself 35 and my child of 13 although 3 years older by then. I have worked in catering before but have no qualifications just experience is this enough also? any help would be great guys and many thanks lyn:notworthy:

Guest monty
I am going to start college soon and will be training as a counsellor and also will be training as a youth worker this should take about 2/3 years? Will this job secure me a place in OZ???? Or is it better to go to oz and get a job offer there and go about it that way. It will just be myself 35 and my child of 13 although 3 years older by then. I have worked in catering before but have no qualifications just experience is this enough also? any help would be great guys and many thanks lyn:notworthy:

Lyn

I am sure that that you would get work in this field, but not sure whether it is or would be on the MODL list in 3 yrs. When you say conselling and youth work is it along the lines of adolescent mental health type stuff? If so log on to children, womens and youth health services south australia, they are simialar to sure start type initiatives in the UK. Perhaps it may be worth a try seeing if you can get in on your catering qualifications. I'm not sure but I think bakers are on the MODL list? The go to a college in oz. Sorry Ican't be of any more help, but I'm sure all the guys on here will have lots of really good advice and info for you to think about.

MONTY

Guest lynthepoet

thanks for that bird!!!! I am so wanting to get out of this country I hate it here. I will get to oz and live a great life doing what I love most and that's helping people, kids inparticular. This country has nothing to offer anymore and I want my child to have the best in life. I have been intouch with the site you told me about and have contacted them reguarding the issue. cheers again your most kind my fellow aries same birthday 11th nice one x lyn

Hi Lyn,

Just a thought, counselling and youth work might be under the welfare worker umbrella, it s not on the MODL, but is on the SOL (skilled occupation list). It's what I'm going as, I'm a qualified social worker here in the UK. Obviously you need the qualifications first, but it just might be worth bearing in mind when planning how to approach the whole emigration thing, check out AIWCW Home Page , just might be useful.

Good Luck

Bec x

Guest Kim Hunter

Hi Lyn,

Unfortunately counsellors only score 50 points and youth workers only score 40 points for skill for permanent skilled migration.

If you REALLY want to migrate to Australia, then these are not the occupations to chose. My advice is for you to do some substantial research on how to maximise your points to migrate. Suggest you have a look at the MODL (migration occupation in demand list) search 'demand' on immi.gov.au. These occupations score 15 more points. As you are 35 you're scoring less and less points as you get older.

Sorry for the bad news, just didn't want you to finish your 2/3 years study and be disappointted, which you will.

Once you get PR you can then do counselling or youth work which I'm sure you love doing, but that's not going to get you here, sorry.

Best of luck.

Guest lynthepoet

Hi Kim, how many points do I need to qualifiy to enter Oz? See I have experience in the kitchen cooking, as I have worked for the NHS in catering and also worked for a big chain of pubs in their kitchens but I have not done this work for about 6 years now? I am so desparte to move to oz with my daughter who is currently 13. so any help would be great and many thanks for your help. lyn

Guest Kim Hunter

Hi Lyn,

You need 120 for general skilled migration without any sponsorship.

You should chose cooking and study in UK and get the necessary qualification, Diploma would be good. You'll score an additional 15 points for a MODL occupation. You can also get 25 points for proficient English if you sit an IELTS test and score 7, should be no problem for you.

Once you quality and have 12m experience I can see your points as follows:

Skill 60

Age 20

English 25

MODL 15

= 120

Make sure you work as a cook while studying as experience helps with TRA skills assessment.

Get skills assessment through TRA, bob's you're uncle as we say in Australia ie no problem.

Your only other issue will be consent to bring your daughter, but that's the least of our worries now.

Happy cooking!

Good night from beautiful Sydney.

Best of luck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lynthepoet

Hi Kim, I think I will train as soiacl worker for 3 years as for my daughter her father is dead how do I stand with that? He died whilst living with his new wife we were never married. will this cause a problem thanks lyn

• 3 weeks later...
Guest joanneG

Hi

Am a qualified youth worker, which gives u 40 points, however my work experience is in line of that of a welfare worker. It will depend on both in order to get a positive skills assessment. I had to have 3 years post qualification experience. I think looking at ur skills as a caterer may be ur best bet.

Take care an good luck J

Archived