Moving to Hervey Bay

Tez

Guest claire and clive

Hi Rackatt! Thank you for your message, sorry only just come back on and seen it.Glad you are all settling and enjoying HB!! We are still searching different places and are considering closer to brisbane too at the moment....thank you tho for your help, HB is a favourite for me!!

Hi

We have been here 6 months now and loving it !!

When are you coming to Hervey Bay?

I will PM you some information on houses, schools etc x:hug:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest claire and clive

Thanks Bear35!!!!

it sounds wonderful, u lucky lot!! I had read that the school was very expensive!! Although I love the thought of Hervey Bay, wea re currently looking a bit closer to brisbane for work reasons, but if we do decide on closer, then maybe I could pick your brains again!!

Hi to you,

We have been in HB since January and are loving it, year round sunshine!! We are myself, husband, son 8 and daughter 5. My son attends FCAC and my daughter will be starting prep there in January. We are very happy with the school but it is the most expensive private school in the Bay!!

There are not a great deal of rental properties with pools on the market, we have been lucky enough to get one but it is also on the market to sell!! It may be worth looking at complexes to start with as lots of these are furnished.

If your kids are anything like ours they will love life here in the Bay.

Want to know anything more don't hesitate to ask.

Regards

bear 35

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rackcatt
We are due to move to the bay next week - flying out on the 22nd and are really looking forward to some sun (the weather here in the north east of England is cold and dreary). Looking forward to meeting you all when we get there

just shout if you need anything..give us an email if you would like to meet up..whats bringing you to hervey bay?? its so hot at moment so bin all jumpers and jeans lol

well if its sun you want then you won't be dissapointed ! scorching here , vest tops and shorts and lots of trips to the aquatic centre , let us know when you get settled as we can meet up and give you any advice needed . Rackcatt and I and bear 35 all have met and its quite nice to get some inside tips !

Hi Rackcatt & Tez,

thanks for the reply - we are coming over as my husband has a job there, working in hospitals between Bundaberg and the Bay - chose the bay for the beach and because we all liked the look of the area. Must admit I am really looking forward to it ( the last few weeks have been a nightmare packing furniture and sorting out our house and bank accounts but it will all be worth it)

It would be lovely to meet up and find out about the area, things to do with the kids, places to see etc.

Will be there end of next week so times after that would be great (also advice on where to go christmas shopping for a teenager and toddler greatly appreciated)

Looking forward to meeting you

Tracy

Yes we know how that feels! believe me that it will all seem ok when you get on the plane! .Well when you get here give us a quick post and we can meet up .My husband also communtes to Bundy twice a week and it takes 1 and a half hours door to door , you cant get it quicker as the speed limit is around 100 k and the police seem to be hot on the speed cameras here as we have been caught twice !!!!eek $200 fine too ! . So good luck with the next couple of weeks and see youvery soon in the hot sunny Bay.

Guest rackcatt
Hi Rackcatt & Tez,

thanks for the reply - we are coming over as my husband has a job there, working in hospitals between Bundaberg and the Bay - chose the bay for the beach and because we all liked the look of the area. Must admit I am really looking forward to it ( the last few weeks have been a nightmare packing furniture and sorting out our house and bank accounts but it will all be worth it)

It would be lovely to meet up and find out about the area, things to do with the kids, places to see etc.

Will be there end of next week so times after that would be great (also advice on where to go christmas shopping for a teenager and toddler greatly appreciated)

Looking forward to meeting you

Tracy

good luck with all the move..its so stressful..shopping here isn't great .. i would look at amzon and get it delivered just after you arrive..got BIG W here so toys etc..clothes ..loads surf wear in places like Rush..basically a sports shop..but can help you with that when you get here x

Hi Bellaboshade and everyone else,

Unless a fabulous job offer persuades us to go somewhere else, we will be heading for Hervey Bay in Feb. I was interested in your mention of "teenager". Most of the others in this thread have younger children, - we will be coming with our 14 year old daughter, and 10 yr old son. It is the 10 yr old who is the most reluctant though! How old is your teenager?

Looking forward to coming over now, although it is a stressful time. Hopefully we can catch up with you all in Feb!

Karen (Rob WA's wife!) :cool:

Dear all,

Well we have finally arrived in the bay after a long flight and a bit of jet lag. Trying to find our feet and explore the area although our two year old is still a bit grumpy (at least our daughter is slightly less so - she is 13 next week).

Would be great to meet up and find out more about the area if anyone can.

Best wishes

Hi Bellaboshade,

Welcome to Hervey Bay!! Hope your journey wasn't too much of a trauma. The weather is a little different to what you left behind I expect :jiggy:. You will have plenty of exploring to do in the coming weeks but if you want to ask any questions don't hesitate, may not know the answer but can only try!! If you would like to meet up then next weekend would be a good time, give you all chance to catch up with yourselves and adjust a little first!!

Enjoy settling into the Bay!!

Bear 35 (Claire) :animal-bat:

• 3 months later...
Guest Rob WA

Hi,

We have arrived in HB, and are busy looking for a rental. Are there any areas to avoid? We want to be mid to eastern HB, we have a couple of viewings booked in Kawungan, is this an OK area?

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Don't really know Kawungan that well, have been told there are some parts of it that are a bit rough but don't really know with any certainty. Urraween is a nice area at the top paet, around

Christensen street etc rather than e other side of Urraween road. We stayed in Urangan for 8 weeks and I liked it but others had problems with midgees. We now live in Eli Waters and although the house is beautiful I wouldn't recommend it as there are mangroves and loads of midgees who enjoy me on a daily basis but unfortunatel we have signed up for a year so are stuck unless we break lease. I have a friend who lives in Point Vernon and that's lovely, another lives in Torquay which is also nice. Avoid the Augustus Estate off Burrum Heads Road as I have heard from a number of people that there's a lot of trouble there. Dundowran beach is also beautiful but quite far out. Good houses are never on the listings very long so avoid anything that seems to have sat for more than a few weeks. Good luck, let us know how you get on. Tracy

Hi Rob and family ,

Welcome to the Bay , been here for one year now and we are still looking for a rental ! i like to take my time and the real estate agents here are shocking . Places to avoid , are as Tracey says The Augustus estate at Eli waters , Urangan for midges and Eli waters, Kawungun and Torquay (i live there ) and Urraween are probably the most sort after areas , The estated called Parklands at the back of Fraser Anglican seem to have a bad rep too . I think its a bit pot luck to be honest , keep away from tidal creeks as they bring midges and i have the scars to show you on my legs that look like someone has put out a cigar on me ! ouch . Do drive bys of houses you like the look of at day and night to see if there are any noisy neigbours etc and just ask about .The locals are pretty honest about things .Well let us know if there is anything you need , there are quite a few of us Poms in the Bay now and we are a font of knowledge haha .

Good luck may bump into you at house viewings !

TEZ

Geeee! I think I won't last a year to get a rental property.

Hi Rob, well we stayed in Urangan for 2 months then we moved to Torquay (we have a 6 bed place dual living ) which is great but has no garden and we have been renting it for 9 months but been looking for another one for 6 ! . So if you are looking for a great house for cheap rent but has minimal garden then this is the place for you if you are interested ?

• 1 month later...

Hi, we emigrated to oz last July and currently live in Brisbane - we have just been on a reckkie to Hervey Bay as we do not want to live near the city and we loved HB. We have 4 children 9, 8 and twins at 5 and we have been put off by Brissie people saying not to move up there as although good for little kids no prospects for older ones/teenagers etc and no jobs!! we would love to hear anyones views on this as we really want to live there but do not want to jeopardise our kids futures

Guest Rob WA

Hi,

We have only been here for 2 months now, and we absolutely love it. The bay is beautiful, weather is fab, we have met some very friendly locals, and love the wildlife. It is like being in a time warp, where you can park right outside where you want to be, roads are really wide, and everything just seems so slow and chilled. Admittedly my children are at a private school, but it is brilliant.

But employment is a big issue. We are both self employed, but decent paid jobs are quite rare, unless you are a doctor or a nurse. Many people travel to work in the mines at Gladstone, which is about 3 hours away.

My children are 10 and 14, and I do worry about what the future holds. My daughter (age 14), I think would be moving away when she leaves school, as she is very ambitious, and very adventourous. But I think she would move away wherever we were living. She wants to study in London or Sydney. My son is 10, and can't ever imagine leaving home. There is a campus of Uni of SQ here. But they only do a small number of courses. But I guess, as HB expands, so will that.

So the future is uncertain for the children, but I can tell you that it is a fabulous place for them to grow up, and with yours being younger than mine, I would have no hesitation. We also used to live near Brisbane, Redland Bay.

Hope that helps,

Karen (Robs wife)

Guest Rob WA

Who knows what the future holds wherever we are?? HB is the next Noosa (they have been saying that for years lol)

Good luck with it anyway, and let us know if you move up.

xx