Moving to Hervey Bay

Tez

Hi,

We did this move completely blind never having been to Oz nor having relatives or friends here so any judgments made were based on Internet research and others experiences!! Initially we considered Perth and I was offered a job there but we ruled it out due to the higher temps and it's relative isolation. We decided on Queensland for it's temperate weather and fairly constant temps. I was offered work further North in Mackay and Gladstone but after reading about the places neither offered what we were looking for in terms of lifestyle and for us proximity to beaches was important as well has non city living but not being too far away from other places. At the end of the day Hervey Bay ticked alotofthe boxes for us and so far it looks like we made the right choice!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi ,

We are hoping to get there at the start of March and we are going to rent somewhere ,can you suggest a good suburb. We hear that Eli Waters and Uragan are good .? As for why we are moving my husband is an hearing aid audiologist and got a job with Bay Audio, we were offered Melbourne and Brisbane but chose Brisbane due to the nicer climate . Just got lucky with the Hervey Bay area as that is where there was a vacancy .

Well lets keep in touch for when we get out there finally . Do you have kids Bear35 ?

Hi,

Yes I have 2 kids, son 7 and daughter 4. They are loving the pool here and spend a couple of hours a day in there which is good exercise for them!! We are finding our feet at the moment so regards to areas to live in not sure I am best placed to advise. Depends what you want from the area, most places seem nice and nowhere is too far from shops as there are shopping complexes dotted around all over town. We particularly like Point Vernon for it's quietness but think living there is in the future until we've got more established and possibly won the lottery!!

Keepus up to date with how things are going. I'll keep posting little bits from time to time. We'll have to arrange a get together once you make it over, we're off to see Rob tomorrow who setup this forum as he lives in HB as well!

Keep warm!

Hi Bear35 ,

Sounds like all the areas are pretty good , can't wait to get out there and have a good look around , tv show "wanted down under" is on at the moment here and Paul and I are glued to it everyday ! Amazing how many people want to come and live out there in the sunshine ... Britain is ok but the weather dictates so much of what you can and can't do.

I really want to get a pool too as i think our oldest would have so much fun in there ! At least you are connecting with people and I will let you know how things are going from this end ,and hopefully when we finally get out there we can meet up for a BBQ ! and say hello to Rob as we may be meeting him too in the near future ! .

Well keep having fun and speak to you again soon i am sure .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bear35or Tezz.

Just joined this website as wanted to find out more about Hervey Bay. My partner has secured a job out there and is starting mid March so he is going over first and i will follow over after..Can I ask do either of you know what the job scene is like over there? anf if there are any empoyment agencies there? im alslo assuming you need air con in whatever you are renting . its hard to picure this sitting inside wiht it being -1 outside.. any info helpful

Hi Clip clop , afraid i cannot offer much advise right now about Hervey Bay , we are due to be going in March too , what does your husband do ? I am sure there are some kind of job agencies , we have been logging onto the Frasercoast chronicle everyday which is the local paper for that area and they list a few jobs . If you look at previous posts especially from Bear35 who has recently landed in Hervey Bay it gives a lovely picture of the place. Hope this helps , Do you have a family ? I am wife and mother of 2 girls and looking forward to some sunshine ! much needed after this horrid winter.

Hi,

We've been in HB for 4 weeks now so a little experience. There is a job centre in town and jobs are advertised in the local paper and on the Net. Air con is high on the desirable list for accomodation especially in the bedroom, some nights can get warm and stuffy! The difference here is we keep the doors/windows shut to keep the cool air in and not out!! We had our first dolphin sighting in the Bay tonight, amazing!!

Hope this helps a little. Anymore questions don't hesitate, I'll try my best to answer!!

Bear 35

Guest PHollis

Hi Bear,

Glad you are settling in well.

Are there any quarries / mines in the Hervey Bay area? Sounds like the lifestyle I'm after, but unfortunatley, need the work as well!

Thanks,

Phil

Guest Peter Carey

Hello Phil or should I say G'Day!

I will not steal any of Bears thoughts on what her family can pass on to you, but there is a new mine about to be established close to Hervey Bay (should be extracting in 18 months I believe). I will endeavour to find the website URL and pass on to you. What a great number of 'locals' do is actually fly-in / fly-out. You may have heard that term is you are in the mining industry. Most of the seats on the early morning flight to Brisbane are taken up with folks returning to the mine for their 7, 10 or 2 weeks duty. There are a few mines that actually have charters that come in, pick up and drop off in the area. But I will find the website of the Aldershot mine and let you know.

Cheers,

Peter (formerly from Barrow-in-Furness)

Guest Peter Carey

Hello Phil,

My understanding is that it could be about 18 months before any coal is actually extracted. Lots of loops for the company to go through as you can imagine with the locals, environment etc, particularly as it will be open cut. Here are two links for you. One is for jobs in the mining sector and the other is the website for Northern Energy, the company that is moving ahead with the coal mine.

http://www.miningjob.net/jobs.nsf/areajobs?OpenForm&a=Aldershot

http://www.northernenergy.com.au/

I hope you find them useful.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks for the info above, it looks promising. Regarding schools, this is a serious issue for me. I have 2 children, 1 in yr 8, and 1 in yr4. They are both at schools that perform at above norfolk, and above national averages, so I do not want to move them to underperforming schools.

I can see that your school is great, but until we are there, and are happy with house prices wages etc, not sure we can afford the fees.

I have been looking at all the school reports of all the local schools, and it would seem that your school is the only one outperforming the average scores consistently. But I can only see your scores against QLD scores, and not national averages, as in the other school reports. Would you mind explaining this to me? The only other school that seems to come close to you, is the Xavier school. So it looks like it will have to be private.

I know you have a scholarship program, and I admit that I have not read it all thoroughly, but realistically, what are the chances of getting a scholarship? My children are both on the gifted and talented register at their current schools, my son for academic acheivement across the board, and my daughter for sport and science.

Sorry for asking so much, but schooling has become the major sticking point for us now, unless we can move them to a comparable or better school, I don't feel we can move them at all.

Please feel free to PM, I am unable to as I am new.

Thanks again for all your help.

Rob

Guest Peter Carey

G'Day Rob,

Happy to try and answer all of your questions. As a dad I can understand the dilemna you are faced with and some decisions are difficult ones to make.

The primary reason you only see our state averages is that most states in Australia have their own system. e.g In Queensland we have an OP score (Ordinary Position) and in NSW and Victoria they have HSC or High School Certificate. Our score is 1 (the top mark) down to 25. In other states they have 100 (the top mark) down to Zero. However, when the time comes to go to University there is a simple matrix they use that determines how they might relate state by state. So you are best to look at the state average if you are looking at coming to Queensland. Our students do do well, but smart children are also smart children; we just have wonderful resources, computer labs, library, co-curricular and extra curricular support to assist students to succeed as well as (if I can be biased, airconditoned classrooms, great facilties and fantastic teaching staff. By the way, my partner and her family come from Ely. Sorry for the long winded reply Rob, and I look forward to helping you where I can.

All the best, Peter

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Clip clop , afraid i cannot offer much advise right now about Hervey Bay , we are due to be going in March too , what does your husband do ? I am sure there are some kind of job agencies , we have been logging onto the Frasercoast chronicle everyday which is the local paper for that area and they list a few jobs . If you look at previous posts especially from Bear35 who has recently landed in Hervey Bay it gives a lovely picture of the place. Hope this helps , Do you have a family ? I am wife and mother of 2 girls and looking forward to some sunshine ! much needed after this horrid winter.

Hi Tez, sorry only replying now.. i dont have a family tjsut me and my boyfriend .. he is staring work mid march .. thats why we are moving there, beause he applied for a job and got it through a phone interview.. we both wanted to move since last year biut had to sort out like selling house and that ..i wil move over after my boyfriend as im applying for defacto visa and still have a hob here in Ireland..i watched video clips of you tube and it does look amazing .. cant wait to get over there now ...

• 1 month later...

Hi all , Tez here , just to say that we have been here for 2 and a half weeks now and are finding our feet. Was not too fussed to begin with but in all honesty I think that was the flight , with 1 screaming ill child and a stroppy 4 year old! Hervey Bay is a great place for those who like the outdoors there are parks galore ,free splash park , BBQ areas and very friendly locals . We have been lucky , my husband had a job already , and has had help from his company settling us in and we have joined a gymnastics club for my daughter , kindy gym and baby gym for my 1 year old too and am now looking into swimming lessons .There is enough here tokeep you busy as in the UK but the difference is the weather , its been about 30 degrees today and as a lilly white UK girl , I am finding it difficult but all i would say to those coming out ,don't pack anything except Vest tops and shorts !!!!! seriously .

As for schools , we have lots of info from the locals about schools and although private seems expensive its actually not too bad , Peter Carey has probably explained lots about the Anglican college and I have a friend who goes there and he is coming along nicely.My daughter at present (4) has enrolled in a government run Kindy as she is too young for school until next year .This worked out $500 per term, the alternatives are day care centres where you can pay up to $800 per month and that is only for 2 or 3 days per week . I would say that if you know what high school you want your child to go to then the primary school needs to be considered too.Best schools here I reckon private are Frasier College, they run from kindy to high school , then Star of the Sea catholic school is really good which then gets you into Xavier College, another good school.Mixed reports about the state high schools and to be honest I will try to send my girls to one of the above .Its pricey to start with as we are not used to paying but itseems that most Aussies want the best and this is private education .

If you are thinking of coming to Hervey Bay , its a good friendly outdoor place and I feel quite at home already. The real estate profession leaves a bit to be desired as they are so laid back you get a bit annoyed but everyone else is pro active.

We have been lucky too , to have met up with another family from this website who moved here and that has been fantastic, we even live in the same complex at the moment and the kids keep themselves busy and its nice to have a friend already.. so thanks Bear 35.....

So if you do come out , whoever you are out there , then look us up before you come and we will try to help settle you in .

Guest rackcatt

Hi Tez

I found your post, as i was looking at stuff for Hervey Bay. OH has had a phone interview and has moved onto the next stage, with them asking about our visa and timescales.

The area looks amazing, we were going to Victoria, but this job came up, so fingers crossed..

Could you advise me on good areas to rent ? I need a primary & Secondary School , son 10 daughter 12.

Been looking at stuff tonight, like the HUNTSMAN SPIDER:arghh:

Have you seen any?

Glad you have settled, would love to keep in touch and welcome any advice...xxx

Hi all,

Hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread.

We have looked at several areas to potentially migrate to, originally sunshine coast and more recently Adelaide. We have been quite sold on Adelaide but recently a potential job match has come up in Hervey Bay and would love to hear more about it.

I've read your previous posts but could you tell us anymore, our priorities are similar to most, schools (children age 8 and 7 yrs and 7 mths). The kids enjoy Swimming, soccer, ballet and dance. We would like, a busy social life (locals and expats alike), museums, wildlifeparks, nature reserves and national parks, camping, biking.

I guess I'm a little concerned it may be too quiet for us, please could anyone advise?

Thanks

Amanda

I am sure there are lots of questions you all have and to be honest probably not the best person to answer some of them as only just got here , but see the post before about schools , its not like the Uk , it seems to be the attitude that you have to plan for your kids future more here , chosing a primary school in order for them to get into the High school you want etc , as for areas there are around 7 different towns , Hervey bay has one long road through it and i would say you are no more than about 15 mins in the car from anywhere ... shops , beach , etc . Fraser Island is just over the sea and you can go out there for the day , weekend etc and its supposed to be beautiful, have not been there yet though as its taking longer to get things organised . If you like fashion , forget it , shorts and vests and lots of outfits for the oldies , there are a lot of them here , they come for the sunshine and the medical facilites here.You will find a lot of expats from all over come here due to work ,and I have met a group of mums who are from all over the world ! Canada ,Uk, India , Oz etc.People are nice and friendly . Am sure there is lots to do here , being a coastal town and the weather makes you go outside a lot more (except for me - who is so english i can barely look at the sun without burning !) .

Check out the rest of the posts from this thread as they provide lots of info on schools etc and the enrollment man Peter Carey from the Anglican College is great for school info.

If you like relaxed quiet living then this is a good place . You can do as much or as little as you choose.

Rackcatt , what does your husband do ? my hubby is an audiometrist and there are quite a few of those here which we were quite shocked about , limits the market but there are enought oldies here for everyone i spse!!!!

Its hard to influence people on whether to come here or not but if you do then we will surely meet up !

Guest rackcatt

Hiya

He is a Electrical design engineer. Fingers crossed we hear soon, house sold in UK move out tommorow.. Will keep you posted . thanks xx

No problem Amanda12 , its hard to express what its like here as mirating is such a big deal and everyone likes different things , i would hate to advise you on something and you did not like it here , basically we moved here without any clues to what to expect except it was a coastal town! and my day basically is this , take one daughter to kindy , then do a bit of shopping , go down the esplanade and go to a park, take a walk ,then back home for lunch , pick up daughter , go swimming , kids play out with other kids in the complex , then 6 pm darkness, .Then its up to you , you can go down the esplanade for dinner or a bbq ,then walk and get an ice cream etc .Its a nice pace of life .There is sailing clubs and my kids do gymnastics and my friends kids do soccer with school. Went down the beach today ,and there is a free Splash park for the kids too which is brilliant to keep them busy .Its just a demo of what my life is like, if that helps at all

Guest rackcatt

sorry just missed the bit about meeting up , that would be great ....xxx

does it get dark at 6pm every nite ??

Hi,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in on the conversation, I'm the one Tez is living next door but one to!! We've only been here since early Jan so are newcomers too but we are fairly settled into life here. I work Mon - Fri but on the days when I'm working here in Herevy Bay I meet my husband and daughter for lunch and we head off to one of the many parks around town for a picnic, it really makes the working day bareable to have lunch outdoors in the sun, usually looking out at the beach!! My son (7) goes to Fraser Coast Anglican College. He's settled well with a good circle of friends. The school offers lots in the way of clubs both during and after school, Connor does chess club and is in the under 8's football team. There are plenty of schools in HB and the general concensus from locals is that the local state primary schools are all fairly good but the state high schools leave something to be desired. We took the decision on private schooling because we can afford it here and whilst the FCAC may be the one of the most expensive in town compared to private schooling in the UK it is cheap and the school goes from prep through to the end of senior school.

There are lots of clubs around HB for people to join, a lot is concerned with the water obviously, such as surf club, boating clubs, sailing clubs. There also all sorts of sports clubs here with football, rugby, cricket, netball and swimming all catered for.

There's lots of lovely cafes and restaurants around town so never short of a place to meet for coffee!!

Hope you find this helpful and let us know how things go.

Bear35.

Archived