Moving to Hervey Bay

Tez

Hi, my family and I are moving to Hervey Bay next year and I wondered if anyone there had information on pre shools as I have a 4 year old who would have started school in the Uk in September but now will have to wait till she is 6 in Oz. She is so active that I need to find something for her to do ?

Are there any leisure centres that do classes etc for the young ones?

thanks

Tez

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, wow that's great to know, I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old, if all goes well for you maybe we could meet up when i finally get out there. Hope your move goes well.

Let me know if there are any pre schools as I am going to need one!

thanks

Tez:biggrin:

Hi all, my friend rob liles lives in Hervey. He is the creator of poms in oz on facebook, you might want to connect with him. I met him last year, he is a lovely bloke with a fab family. Tell him Heidi put you on to him.

Best of luck with your move. I will be moving to Buderim and arrive on 2nd May

h

Guest Peter Carey

I am new to this website and before posting my suggestion regarding education as I am the Director of Enrolments and Marketing at a private College in Hervey Bay, I would first like to ask a moderator/administrator if it is Ok to provide you some advice.

A little about me, born in Barrow-in-Furness and migrate in '63 and lived in Queensland for most of that time.

So I do know a little about Oz, been back to the UK many times, but always love the return flight home to the sunshine (although raining at present)

Anyway I hope that I will get the OK from the moderator and will be only too pleased to tell you about education in Hervey Bay.

Cheers,

Peter

Guest Peter Carey

Hello Bear, Tez and Ausdreamer,

My role at the Fraser Coast Anglican College is Director of Enrolments and Marketing. In Britain we would be known as a public school. We run a day school for boys and girls from kindergarten (3 yr olds) to Year 12 (17 to 18). From Yr 12 students can move into University or the work envirnment.

Hervey Bay also has other schools, Catholic, Lutheran and several State tun primary and high schools. My school, although Anglican has students from all corners of the globe, we have a strong International program, fantastic music and sports program and we even have about 40 kangaroos living on the school grounds. We are only about 2 miles from the beach but in a very natural bushland setting. best to check the website really; www fcac.wld.edu.au

I would welcome any quetiosn you might have about the College, life here in the bay, weather, golf, fishing, shopping etc. Bets wishes to you all, Peter.

Hi Peter,

We are arriving in the Bay on 3rd January and am looking at school places for my 7 year old son and 4 year old daughter. Do you have places available in the appropriate years and if so would it be possible to look round the school after we arrive?

Best wishes from a very snowy and cold England.

Hi Peter,

Thanks very much for the information I will check out the website and will indeed direct any further questions to you .

We are looking forward to getting out there to Hervey Bay and wondered which was the best suburb to live in with the 2 little ones . One is 4 and the other is 1 so was hoping there were clubs and toddler groups we could go to but not sure you would now about those !

Sounds like a lovely relaxing place .

Thanks

Tez

Guest Peter Carey

Hi chiily England,

Just to rub it in it is already 25C and is only 8am. I just had a look at the temp in Barrow and it is 1C.

I have looked at our enrolments for next year and we do have vacancies in our Yr 2 class and also at the moment in our kindergarten. As you arrive on Jan 3, we come back to the College (admin that is) on that day, so once you have settled and over most of the jet-lag then please feel free to call me and I would love for you to come with the family and visit the College. We are only closed for that 2 weeks over Christmas/New Year. Although school doesn't start until late January, kindy re-opens on the 3rd also. May I als what Visa you will be coming out on as that might also have an affect on the fees for the College also. Looking forward to hearing from you and stay as warm as possible. Best wishes, Peter

Guest Peter Carey

Hello Tez,

I was just n line replying to another family when I saw your very welcome message. As you would have seen on our website we have a kindergarten at the College for children aged 3 to 5, they then graduate up to Prep (I think you might call that reception) and that is really the first real year of their schooling. But to be Prep eligible a child has to turn 5 by June 30 of that year (government stipulation) and although we are a private school we still have to adhere to some of the government mantra. Areas to brin gup little ones?? If you look at areas such as Wondunna, Urraween or Kawungan they are fairly close to the College and have some larger type properties, 4 beds, 2 baths, pool eetc and nice sized blocks. Your yo9ungest is eligible to join our kindergarten and I am sure you will find some wonderful other families who are looking to meet new friends too. Can I ask what Visa you will be coming out on as that might have an influence on the actual fees you will be required to pay should you decide to enrol with us. There are lots of new families in the area and many professional families chose to enrol their children with us. Might I also ask what you and your fmaily will do when you arrive? Looking forward to hearing from you soon. All the best to you and your family Tez. Best wishes, Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

Thanks very much for the reply, I have looked at the website for the college and indeed it looks pretty fantastic. We are coming over on a 457 visa , not sure if that makes any difference to the fees , as they are quite pricey so not sure if we could afford to send our girls there .But the information was gratefully recieved.

We have been looking at all the areas around Hervey Bay and look forward to getting out there for a proper look in the forthcoming months .

Thanks again.

Tez

Guest Peter Carey

Hello from a fairly wet Hervey Bay on Christmas Eve!

The 457 visa allows us to charge the family as if they were a local child, so the fees would be about $7,000 a year rather than an International student of $17,000+.

As you said, Tez, doesn't hurt to come and look us over and we will make you feel very welcome.

Enjoy your Christmas and start to 2011, stay warm and I look forward to chatting with you again soon.

Best wishes,

Peter

Hi Peter,

It's raining ! well its freezing over here , no more snow for the moment but its still artic!. Thanks for your reply and the fees seem more in our reach if its $7000, so we will definately come and have a look round when we arrive .Thanks very much for being so helpful and look forward to meeting you .Have a lovely christmas and New Year .

Tez

• 2 weeks later...

We too are considering moving to Hervey Bay when we come over this July/August with our 2 and 7 year old kids. It would be useful to have some objective opinions from current residents as to the lifestyle there.

Me n missus are both around 40 and whilst not looking for the busiest place in the world, don't want to be amongst a minority with loads of pensioners around. We're hoping for a reasonably lively place with plenty for the kids and us to do within a short distance.

Also and I suppose quite importantly, what are the chances of an accountant getting a job up that way; does anyone have any direct experience of this?

There seems to be a bit of mixed opinion for Hervey Bay, with some saying it's fab and others saying it's boring. Are the boring supporters commenting on a historical opinion or recent experience, or.....?

Any comments would be very much appreciated.

Hi,

My husband has a job there waiting and we have been in contact with a colleague of his who has lived there for 22 years . She wrote a lovely email and i could have cried when she described living in Hervey Bay. She said there is lots for the kids , playgrounds along the pathways , bbq areas , beach , free waterpark thing too and there are lots of schools and kindies (which i will need having 2 young ones) and also lots of activities going on at the Police kids club thingy they have there . The floods have not reached Hervey Bay and she said that yesterday was a sunny day and she would love to have gone to the beach if not for work! .

As far as I can make out , its not a bustling town as in lots of nightlife but that is not what i am going for , we are looking to improve our family time and that seems very possible there with the weather and outdoor activities . There are a number of oldies there but hey at least the crime rate will be lower!

My husband has read lots of reviews and i think if you are a back packer on holiday looking for nightlife and bars , Hervey Bay may not be the place but living there wounds ok to me .

Hope this helps a little , it was hard for us to imagine but Bridgits email really has out my mind at rest.

:biggrin:

Hi all,

We arrived in HB a week ago and it's beautiful! Beach stretches for ages and is lovely and clean with warm, clear sea - very shallow and gentle waves so very kiddy friendly! Yes, there are lots of play parks along the esplanade and around town, also lots of bbq's and street gym equipment free to use! To say it is the height of summer holiday time there is no hustle and bustle, it feels very safe to walk down the streets! Plenty of shopping centers, free parking all round town including the esplanade and a lot of the shops don't open on Sunday and shut early on Saturday's very much like the UK circa 1970's!! Ther's a free waterpark at one end of the esplanade and an aquarium at the other (not been to either yet so will let you know what they are like when we do!). It's all that we imagined and more, but we are still in 'holiday' mode at the mo as I don't start work till next week. Still, I wouldn't have even contemplated an early morning swim before work back in the UK so hopefully will still feel the same!! Oh, nearly forgot to mention the nightly bat migration to Fraser Island that happens every evening at dusk, we are fortunate to being staying along the esplanade and we get to view this phenomenon every night!!

Hope this is helpful, any questions don't hesitate, may not be able to answer but no harm asking!

Bear 35

Hi Bear35 , well it sounds fabulous actually and I am really looking forward to getting out there now . All we see at the moment on the news here is the devastation that the flash floods are doing out there and we are kind of worried that Hervey Bay may be washed away too.

Thanks for the information and my children who are 4 and 1 should have lots to do there .

Keep logging on and updating as its nice to know someone out there who is doing what we will be doing in a couple of months. Can i ask you if you had to get international health insurance and who did you use ? thanks Tez

Hi Tez,

Yes, had to have health insurance in place for visa application. We used HBA (Bupa). Now we are here we are applying for Medicare cover but it is limited so will keep the private cover going as well.

The floods are only affecting HB with the food deliveries not getting made so supermarket shelves getting bare!

Have you got a definite date fir coming over and somewhere to live sorted?

Signing off from a warm and sunny Hervey Bay!!