Health and Safety training

k8bug79

Hello,

A lot of jobs I am looking at say must be fully compliant with OH&S regulations. I work in theatre so it is not as though I need particular skills or qualifications to trade but I do need to know the local regulations. I figured that I can do some courses over here whilst I am saving, does anyone know of some providers of training, preferably online otherwise by correspondance?

Or if not can you tell me a bit about how long courses are etc to see if there is a possibility of me doing one as soon as I arrive (whenever that may be!!)

Thanks

Depends on what state you're in, the basic qualification is Cert IV OH&S, you may be able to do it online but I wouldn't recommend it as it's pretty intense and legislation is far easier when you're got someone explaining the salient bits. It takes about 9 days from a registered training authority, but is probably over the top if you just have to be aware of the regs rather than working in the OHS industry.

It may be more relevent to look at what you're going to be doing; if you're up in the gantry do a Working at Heights course, if you're dealing with chemicals do a handling hazardous substances course.

You can download the Act and Regs free by googling your state and OHS Act. They're about 1000 pages of utter tedium though. As of next year they'll be merging all the state OHS into one set of legislation but that Act is in consultancy phase at the moment.

• 1 month later...
Guest sunshineonme

Hi there,

I would suggest you do a Google search for TAFE (Technical And Further Education), these are located across all of Australia and although they are linked with the government, they are privately run so have different names i.e. in SE Victoria there is Chisholm TAFE, Holmesglen, Boxhill etc and they offer OH&S courses.

This is the enrolment period (January and the next may be mid-year (different TAFE's vary slightly)) and fees vary depending on whether you are elgible to government supported fees or not, the institute can confirm what fees you will have to pay.

Good luck!

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...