Partner Entitled To Permanent Residence?

Guest alibabs

Guest alibabs

Hi,

I am just wondering if anyone can advise me if my partner would be automatically entitled to permanent residence, due to the fact that I have dual citizenship, from having lived in Australia from when I was 5 till when I was 10 and we have just had a baby together. We are discussing the option of going over as I still have a lot of family there and was just wondering what process we would have to go through and how long this would take. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Hi congratulations on the new baby and welcome to Poms in Oz. It currently takes six months to process a partner visa through the London office.

The rule of thumb as to whether or not your partner would be entitled to immediate PR is:

In most cases, permanent residence cannot be granted less than 2 years from when you

lodge your application. You may, however, be granted a permanent visa without having

to fulfil the usual two-year waiting period if:

• at the time you apply, you have been in a partner relationship with your partner for

3 years or more, or 2 years or more if you and your partner have a dependent child of

your relationship;

Your next step should be to read :: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf (the official partner migration booklet).

There's loads of gumpf about this on my blog (I've just been through the partner visa process myself).

In short you have to :

Fill out form 47 (partner application form)

Fill out form 40 (sponsor application form)

Provide a load of evidence of your relationship and proof of who you are

Partner has to do a medical

Partner needs to provide police certificates

Give a £1000 or so to immigration

Wait around alot.

I'd also look into if you can pass your citizenship onto your child. Depends on your own citizenship I think.

So if an australian PR gets married the spouse will not get PR but only a temporary visa? and hence can't take benefits of that a PR can like subsidised tuition fees for university education?

For the first 2 years, I believe, after taht the visa is reconsidered and if you are still eligible the spouse visa becomes a permanant.