BestyBlue

Any help or advise would be hugely appreciated

Hi all.

I am currently at uni, so won't be able to apply for my visa until I graduate, which is in 3 years time. By which time my step son will literally just have turned 18. He is desperate to come out with us, so we are looking at different options to try and make this possible.

I have heard somewhere that between the age of 18-25, if they are in full time education, therefore dependant on us then it would be possible to still come on a family visa. But this sounds far to good to be true.

Has anyone out there had any similar experiences, or does anyone know of a good way to get him to come with us.

Hope that makes sense, I have a tendancy to waffle.......

Abi:confused:

Guest Susan Wareham McGrath

Hi Besty

DIAC doesn't specify that a "child" has to be under 18.

It says that generally a child must be under 25 years of age, but if they are aged 18 years or over, they must be a full-time student and financially dependent on the sponsoring parent. The only exception to this requirement is where a child has a disability that stops them from working.

DIAC defines a dependant as follows: A person who is wholly or substantially reliant on another person for financial support to meet their basic needs for food, shelter and clothing; or wholly or substantially reliant on their family member for financial support due to being incapacitated for work because of the total or partial loss of bodily or mental functions.

It defines a dependent child as

A dependent child is the child or step-child, of the main applicant, the main applicant's partner. They must have legal responsibility for the child. The child must:

• not be married, engaged to be married or in a de facto relationship and
  • be under 18
    or
  • if they have turned 18, are wholly or substantially reliant on the main applicant or the main applicant's for their basic needs, or are incapacitated for work.

Best regards

Susan