Guest Mchelle

Gungahlin or similar subs on outskirts

Guest Mchelle

Hi there,

We’re applying State Sponsorship for ACT in the next couple of weeks (IELT & VETASSESS ok) -

3 children under 7 & a Jack Russell. Doing the 2 page essay at the mo on why Canberra, done lots of research on suburbs my head is spinning but have a few q’s for anyone out there on Gungahlin.

We need to rent a 3 bed (pref. 4) and cannot afford more than 550$ p/m I’ve researched and it seems subs in this area would fit ok.. question is what is the nicest suburb in Gungahlin ? or can you suggest somewhere else in outskirts of city with good primary school?

Thanks a lot !

Hi there,

We’re applying State Sponsorship for ACT in the next couple of weeks (IELT & VETASSESS ok) -

3 children under 7 & a Jack Russell. Doing the 2 page essay at the mo on why Canberra, done lots of research on suburbs my head is spinning but have a few q’s for anyone out there on Gungahlin.

We need to rent a 3 bed (pref. 4) and cannot afford more than 550$ p/m I’ve researched and it seems subs in this area would fit ok.. question is what is the nicest suburb in Gungahlin ? or can you suggest somewhere else in outskirts of city with good primary school?

Thanks a lot !

Have you looked at the inner North - Watson, Downer, Hackett? The local school (Majura) is good and access to Civic is probably as good as you are going to get. Similarly Aranda although that might be a bit tight on your budget. People talk glowingly of Weetangera as well

Down in the south, Waramanga and Chapman are nice areas and the schools generally get good reports.

Gungahlin is IMHO still a bit soul-less although some parts of Nicholls and Palmerston are coming along nicely. Palmerston used to be the pick of the PS (slightly snobbier area) which then feeds into Gold Ck senior but Amaroo gets good reports (big school from K-10 though). Have you had a look on Google earth to see what the area looks like? If you are working in the south of the ACT then this wont be a brilliant place to settle - congestion in the mornings is frustrating. There also used to be shocking phone reception in that area but check out the phone coverage maps to see if it has improved (probably has)

Guest Mchelle

Thanks a million for the advice I'll check those out!

Hi there,

We live in Gunghalin and in the suburb of Gungahlin, its not too bad fairly easy to get to everywhere and the shopping area is better than some UK towns. I work in Civic and the traffic on northbourne ave into civic is a bit stop start but not too bad, if i was working in south canberra i think we would be want to live in the south.

Harrison is the next suburb down from us and has a new school (our DD is only 20 months so not yet, but thats probably where she will go) and it looks very nice when we looked at houses there. Although up north the houses are big but the gardens are very small so if you have kids that want to run about that could be a problem BUT there are loads of parks and play areas in these estates which is a fab, i think the one in Harrison even had BBQs.

If you need anything else let us know and we will see what we can do, only three months here and loving it, its the most friendly place i have lived in (except the driving, see my other post!!) and its very family friendly with loads to do!

cheers

Mr Family Anderson

Guest Mchelle

Thanks I will try H sounds good. Actually you may be able to help me with something, for the state commitment letter I am trying to get a handle on utilities and mobile phone etc.. charges in order to do a household budget.. as you've been there 3 months could you give me a guide on water/satellite/gas/electricity and any other hidden charges I should know about?! Thanks I'd really appreciate it as I hope to get uncomplicated successful state sponsorship due to accurate #ACT knowledge !!

Michelle

Guest Mchelle

ps meant to say congratulations on getting there ! hope to meet you & your family there for a bbq next year some time too !

Hi there,

We need to rent a 3 bed (pref. 4) and cannot afford more than 550$ p/m I’ve researched and it seems subs in this area would fit ok..

Maybe you just made a typo, but the rates you see online are weekly rates, not monthly. I hope you don't think you can get a place for $550 a month. That would be impossible.

Moved to Oz 02/2011