new VIC SMP - where are you now

Guest Mongobear

Guest thangvan

i have 2 mates over in Adelaide but i didnt mention that in my application.did they ask you if you have friends in australia?
Well, I made a mistake mentioning two of my friends in Perth. That may be the reason why they asked

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest VickyMel
Hey, guys. I've just read last 100 pages to familiarize myself with peculiarities. Considering applying for VIC SS as a Developer Programmer. First thing I want to know if it is still the topic for VIC SS applicants. Or we have to move into http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/124505-886-176-475-state-sponsored-september-2011-gang.html

Ideally the newer VIC SS applicants would start a new thread and get all their details together - as you see on the first page of this thread. This thread is very old now - most people have got SS and it is not that helpful to you new guys anymore.

VIC can have some specific issues and it can be really useful to be able to chat about it among yourselves.

Hi all, I've got a confirmation today and being asked to write a commitment statement why I chose VIC over WA where I've got 2 mates. Can anyone share a sample of this? I've done my homework and did lots of research about jobs, life etc. but don't know any format or how to start. Please help!

We had relatives elsewhere - we just wrote a letter explaining why we were coming to VIC and were not going to the other state.

Guest thangvan
We had relatives elsewhere - we just wrote a letter explaining why we were coming to VIC and were not going to the other state.

Thanks!! I submitted my statement today, just explained why I want to emigrate to Vic in terms of job prospects, life, education and health care. Cross my fingers!!

Guest thangvan

Name: Thang Van

Date of SMP application: 03/02/12

Trade/profession: Engineering Technologist

Nationality: Vietnamese

IELTS (if applicable): 8.0

Visa type: 176

DIAC Priority (if applicable): 3

Delays/further docs requested: Written statement

SS received: Pending

comments: Written statement sent 7 Feb 2012

Guest Rebecca78

Hi yes we have relatives in perth and had to explain why we wanted to come to Victoria rather than WA. We had to write 2 statements actually because we weren't explicit enough in the first one!! Ha!!

Guest kristy1

Name: kristy1

Date of SMP application: 18/12/11

Trade/profession: Secondary School Teacher ICT/Business Studies

Nationality: British

IELTS (if applicable): 8.5

DIAC Priority (if applicable): 2 I think

Delays/further docs requested: Waiting for Victoria Institute of Teaching (VIT) to complete my registration

SS received: 28/12/11 (subject to VIT registration)

comments: Cant apply for 176 visa as still waiting from VIT to complete my registration...frustrating :-/

Guest Mongobear

Hey all,

Please note that the VIC-2010/2011 club is not accepting any new members ;) Honestly, I don't find the time to manage the thread any longer so you might want to open a new one. This one is pretty outdated.

Cheers

Uli

Hi All

Have applied for Victoria SS in Jan 2012, I am being advised about using a migration agent to apply for visa. What would be the major advantages in your opinion in using a migration agent?

Vin

Hi All

Have applied for Victoria SS in Jan 2012, I am being advised about using a migration agent to apply for visa. What would be the major advantages in your opinion in using a migration agent?

Vin

None, do it all yourselft, its easy.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mbc71

Name: Martha

Date of SMP application: 09 Feb 2012

Trade/profession: ICT BA

Nationality: American

IELTS (if applicable): 8.5

DIAC Priority (if applicable): ?

VIC SMP approved: 29 Feb 2012

Guest firefly1

Wow..it is lovely being back to this forum after a very long time..The look and feel has changed quite a bit..

Quite surprisingly today my lil one decided to have a big nap and that left me with time to get to this forum to check what is happening. Good to know that people have started arriving in Melbourne. Thank you every one for the updates.

As for myself we landed in Melbourne on Jan 31st.. Exactly a year since I left Melbourne.. Feels great to be back here.. Hubby has been sent on 6 month contract from his company. So the move dint involve any drastic decisions as yet. As for myself I am enjoying my break and having a great time with my 6 month old boy.

I totally agree with Auzsci s idea on SMP reunion thread.. Eager to hear from the others.

Hi all,

How are you all doing? I haven't been on PIO for ages and it has changed a lot! Didn't know where to post this and it took a while for me to find our thread... Hope most of you are in Victoria now. I'm still in cold UK, can't seem to decide when to make the move... Hopefully sometime this year... :laugh:

May be we should have a NEW VIC (or may be it should be Old VIC!) SMP reunion thread or something like that, just to keep in touch. Would be nice...

Auzsci

I do not know when if I am going to get State sponsorship, have been noticing lots of people getting sponsorship .... nervous .... :(

Name: Vin

Date of SMP application: 29 Jan 2012/Letter Reply to Questions 7 Feb 2012

Trade/profession: DBA

Nationality: UK

VIC SMP approved: ?

I felt curious whether some of the Vikings are taking the ride on the rollercoaster to Melbourne as I and my OH currently do. And thought that I have to pass by here after very long time being away. I'm currently in Melbourne. It's day 12. Every piece of furniture I have is in a container somewhere on the way to Melbourne, but it feels cheerful to rent my first long term accommodation yesterday. It was hard to turn my back to the life I had before the move, however I'm sure we will succeed to combine all the pieces together and have the life I and my OH dreamed of.

My best wishes to the old Vikings with their plans.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

Woo hoo ... State sponsorship approved ... now hopefully next year will be watching the Melbourne GP live ... :) Thanks to all the forum members keep posting help people like me applying without agents etc.

Name: Vin

Date of SMP application: 29 Jan 2012/Letter Reply to Questions 7 Feb 2012

Trade/profession: DBA

Nationality: UK

VIC SMP approved: 19 Mar 2012

Hi Firefly and everyone,

for me its been 8 months in Melbourne. surely things have changed a lot on these threads and its really gr8 to see DIAC is moving things at light speed.

though i was never a VIC SMP holder I used to follow these threads to check up on whts happening with priorities above me (before 1st July 2011 changes i was in Priority 3 and SMPs were in Priority 2). i had also applied to VIC for SMP to change my subclass from 175 to 176, but had to withdraw from it as i got my Case Officer before getting my SS from VIC. and now destiny brought me here.

i wud like to tell u all those who are hoping to come and settle in VIC tht Melbourne is a gr8 place to stay. i am enjoying every bit of it. but getting a job is a real challenge. especially for those who are newly arrived migrants.

good luck to all...

Congrats vin. Wish you luck with your plans.

Hi IronMan2. Glad to know about your success and your joyful time in Melbourne. Melbourne is indeed a cheerful place to live in, I really enjoy it too. But I'm still in the process of settling the basic elements to start the new life. I agree with you about getting a job being a real challenge. I'm currently preparing a huge attack to advertise myself in the job market properly, and I appreciate if you can share the experience you went to succeed finding a job. How long did it take until you finally started to work? Did you have to get additional certificates during your journey to find a job? Which website or agent made you succeed and get connected with the job opportunity? Any advice mate you can offer is highly appreciated.

All the best,

Guest auzzycrazzy

Hi All,

Our Victoria SS was successful. Received the letter today.

Occupation Software Tester.

I have a questions

I applied June 2009 -176 Family sponsored, so now trying to convert it to a State sponsored application, since the nominated occupation code has changed, should I get a new assessment from ACS ?

Thanks is advance

Guest Mongobear

Hey AC,

what occupation did you use for your 2009 application? 2231-79 (nec)? If so, then there is no need for a new assessment since 2231-79 maps into Software-Tester according to the official mapping-scheme (don't have the link on hand at the moment but I know it 100% ;) ).

Cheers

Uli

Guest auzzycrazzy
Hey AC,

what occupation did you use for your 2009 application? 2231-79 (nec)? If so, then there is no need for a new assessment since 2231-79 maps into Software-Tester according to the official mapping-scheme (don't have the link on hand at the moment but I know it 100% ;) ).

Cheers

Uli

Thank you so much for the quick reply Uli, it's so nice to see your reply.

and you are right it was 2231-79 (nec).

the email says,

Your next steps

To secure your Victorian Government sponsorship, provide the Skilled and Business Migration Program with confirmation that you accept the nomination. Once we receive this information, we will officially inform DIAC that you have been nominated by sending DIAC a completed Form 1100.

- how do I confim that I accept the nomination?

- and actually what are my next steps? ( I'm so excited)

I know you converted you existing application to a SS application. your input will be greatly appreciated

thanks again

Guest Mongobear

Hey ac,

that's the easiest part. Actually my situation was pretty much the same. Applied for a 175 as a 2231-79 (nec) and was accepted by VIC as Software-Tester. OK, to confirm you simply reply to VIC's eMail saying that you accept the sponsorship-offer. Ask them for a confirmation. They'll then forward form 1100 to the DIAC notifying them about the new sponsorship. There's nothing you have to do directly with the DIAC. It's handled between VIC and DIAC.

Be prepared that the DIAC will contact you within 2 weeks asking you to provide all missing docs (meds, PCC ....). In our case it took 6 weeks from getting the VIC-grant till getting the visa. And we had to wait 3 weeks for madams IELTS-result ;)

You're almost there mate !

Uli

Guest auzzycrazzy
Hey ac,

that's the easiest part. Actually my situation was pretty much the same. Applied for a 175 as a 2231-79 (nec) and was accepted by VIC as Software-Tester. OK, to confirm you simply reply to VIC's eMail saying that you accept the sponsorship-offer. Ask them for a confirmation. They'll then forward form 1100 to the DIAC notifying them about the new sponsorship. There's nothing you have to do directly with the DIAC. It's handled between VIC and DIAC.

Be prepared that the DIAC will contact you within 2 weeks asking you to provide all missing docs (meds, PCC ....). In our case it took 6 weeks from getting the VIC-grant till getting the visa. And we had to wait 3 weeks for madams IELTS-result ;)

You're almost there mate !

Uli

Thanks a million Uli............. I know we are getting close, but scared to be excited, thanks again

Hi Oz 4 sure,

it took me 3 months from the date i arrived in Melbourne to get a job. i applied thru one and only job site seek.com.au. then from there i got to know the companies and consultancies of Melbourne. alongside i made an exhaustive list of those companies and recruitment firms and applied to the jobs posted on their websites (the one's tht were not advertised on seek.com.au).

u have to tailor ur resume and cover letter for each and every job posting. in the cover letter especially u must include all the key words of the job description. i had applied to around 250 jobs in 3 months and got almost 7 to 8 interview calls and finally landed with one.

interviews are quite simple and nothing technical is asked. but in the interviews u must be able to talk abt the detail of projects u worked on and the challenges u faced. getting a job in IT is not tht difficult, but u need to know the art of tailoring resumes and cover letters.

i was never asked to show any kind of certificates during the interviews and also after getting selected. no employer or recruiter will ask you any experience or qualification certificates. the only thing they ask you 2 references of your reporting managers in previous organisations and your AUS Visa details.

so feel free to manipulate ur resume.

the best time for IT guys is around July to Oct as July is the beginning of the Financial year and new projects are started.

any information u need, happy to help.

Cheers and wish u good luck

Archived