Has the smoking culture changed in OZ in the last 10 years?

B1K3R

No, I'm not talking about smoking pot, but normal cigarettes. When I was in OZ 10 years ago, I remember that people were becoming more conscious about smoking. It seemed that smoking was becoming less popular in general.

It has surely changed a lot in Europe in the last few years were smoking has been banned from many public places.

So, is it the same like it was 10 years ago or has the culture changed (to the better or worse) in OZ?

I'm curious to know....

Cheers

B!K3R

Guest sh7t man no way

its basically the same as the uk mate--there a 4 metre zone outside shopping malls--there wuz talk about if you smoke in your car with kids in it you would be fined--but not sure on that one:wubclub:theres a gizmo out there that for 2 dollars you can have your alcohol measured to see if your above the drink limit or not--its in pubs/eating houses--its like a breathalizer thing

its basically the same as the uk mate--there a 4 metre zone outside shopping malls--there wuz talk about if you smoke in your car with kids in it you would be fined--but not sure on that one:wubclub:theres a gizmo out there that for 2 dollars you can have your alcohol measured to see if your above the drink limit or not--its in pubs/eating houses--its like a breathalizer thing

And how about the way people look at smoking? Wonder if that has changed too...

Guest sh7t man no way

the same as the UK mate--thet tend to give you that look:no:--i smoke ----but the good thing in aus you can buy a 50 pack of smokes--i smoke horizon purples out there--with the heat in qld i tend to go for the stronger smoke--the price of smokes is about the same

the same as the UK mate--thet tend to give you that look:no:--i smoke ----but the good thing in aus you can buy a 50 pack of smokes--i smoke horizon purples out there--with the heat in qld i tend to go for the stronger smoke--the price of smokes is about the same

Yeah, I can image that. It's not nice to bother others.

So, do ye find Golden Virginia, the rolling tobacco manufactured in Nottingham, England by Imperial Tobacco in QLD?

cheers

Guest sh7t man no way
Yeah, I can image that. It's not nice to bother others.

So, do ye find Golden Virginia, the rolling tobacco manufactured in Nottingham, England by Imperial Tobacco in QLD?

cheers

ive only seen it once about 2 years ago in scarbrough--it may be more wide spread now--winstons tobbacco not a bad roll--the blue packet is about the same a GV--there specialized shops all over selling all types off smokes--its a bit more expensive than the shops but worth a go mate

No, I'm not talking about smoking pot, but normal cigarettes. When I was in OZ 10 years ago, I remember that people were becoming more conscious about smoking. It seemed that smoking was becoming less popular in general.

It has surely changed a lot in Europe in the last few years were smoking has been banned from many public places.

So, is it the same like it was 10 years ago or has the culture changed (to the better or worse) in OZ?

I'm curious to know....

Cheers

B!K3R

I returned to the UK for 5 weeks during June/July. Smoking is banned is pretty much the same places as Australia but I did think that more people smoked in general in the areas I visited than where i live in Perth. It must have been noticeable because my kids mentioned it before I did.

Golden Virginia Tobacco is quite expensive here, Hubby tends to use Holiday Blue Tobacco.

Can't say ive noticed smokers being frowned upon, there are similar rules and regulations as in the UK and as SM mentioned earlier you are not able to smoke in your car if you have minors as passengers with you.I guess the advantage here we found is when your at home you can sit or stand outside most of the year to have a smoke and not freeze your paps off,lol.

I think the Pokies and drink get more 'mention' over here, especially the pokies as many people are apparantly addicted and spend a fortune.

Cal x

Guest siamsusie

I think the Pokies and drink get more 'mention' over here, especially the pokies as many people are apparantly addicted and spend a fortune.

Cal x

Pokies :no: goodness I do dislike them.... WA rules on that one and well done them.

Tasmania :no: dear oh dear! my pet dislike those little red pencils and paper and the TV showing the numbers.

Drink.... increasing the price of Alcopops x 3 making it prohibitive, hence ensuring it be more attractive to purchase a 70cl bottle of Voddie and mixers.

Back to ciggies... I actually think our pubs provide reasonably well here in Tasmania for smokers.

My 21 year old son and most of his mates see a real negative aspect to smoking. I don't know of one of them that smokes and they seem to steer clear of people that do. I guess it's difficult to be a smoker now that it's not allowed in pubs, shopping centres, workplaces, restaurants etc.

It can only be a good thing I reckon. My Dad was a chain smoker for years, the wardrobe was full of embassy packets full of coupons. I can't ever remember him breathing without it sounding like he should have a cough to clear his chest.

He's been one of the lucky ones in a way. His breathing got so bad he had to eventually quit cold turkey and hasn't touched one since. He tried to wean himself off them and tried a pipe and cigars but every time he would have a coughing fit till his face was blue. That was when he was about 60. He's in his 90's now. Still has problems with his breathing and chest infections but he's still here.

Being banned in the Queen Street mall Brisbane.We only have one friend who smokes when they call around, but only outside on the balcony. Houses are much better today with not smoking in them. Those that do the curtains and fabrics stink. I realise what my wife meant when I used to smoke!

Archived