bringing stuff and AQIS

I want to send some things to Australia and I am not sure about the procedure. I send AQIS an email and they gave me this link: AQIS

I want to take yarn, mostly wool, a lot of it handspun, some from raw fleece (washed of course, but still, hard to get the oils out and dirt is never coming out of alpaca).

Can I take this? I think I'll have about 5 kilo's of it (and that is after parting with my least precious wool, I am not parting with this yarn, yes I am an addict :wub:)

And how about the spinningwheels? Are they ok when cleaned? no bugs in it, just wool and dust on them. They should not be treated any different than furniture, should they??

I want to send some things to Australia and I am not sure about the procedure. I send AQIS an email and they gave me this link: AQIS

I want to take yarn, mostly wool, a lot of it handspun, some from raw fleece (washed of course, but still, hard to get the oils out and dirt is never coming out of alpaca).

Can I take this? I think I'll have about 5 kilo's of it (and that is after parting with my least precious wool, I am not parting with this yarn, yes I am an addict :wub:)

And how about the spinningwheels? Are they ok when cleaned? no bugs in it, just wool and dust on them. They should not be treated any different than furniture, should they??

I can see why you are confused - that AQIS database has to be one of the most confusing databases I've ever seen!

The information you need is linked from the link that they sent you. Basically, it looks like if the wool you have is "unscoured" (presumably that means unwashed), then it cannot be imported at all. If it is "scoured" then it can be imported subject to certain conditions which are detailed in this link: Import Conditions Database - ICON - AQIS (look under the "Commercial" heading).

As far as the spinning wheel goes, I'm not sure if that falls under the category of "wool processing equipment". If it does then it can be imported but an import permit is required: Import Conditions Database - ICON - AQIS

If not, then I think you are correct, and it would just be treated the same way that other wooden furniture is treated. It's probably worth emailing them again and asking them what category it falls into.

Best wishes!

Thanks,

Scoured just means boiled for 15 minutes at least. Have done that to all my wool and most even longer as I dyed it.

Glad I am not the only one who found them confusing. I did check the links, but still, it is normal yarn, like what normal clothes are made off. I did declare my clothes once, it had handspun in it too. They just laughed at me! Ah well.

I don't mind if they have to fumigate the wool. It will get those darn moths out finally!

I'll email them about the wheel.

Guest Guest31881

I don't mind if they have to fumigate the wool. It will get those darn moths out finally!

Hi I have moved your thread to transport and shipping, where you stand more chance of the right members looking at it to give you info.

I have big doubts about your wool being allowed in, as you say fumigating it would get rid of the moths, the mere fact that it can transport Moths could be enough reason to deny it entry into the country. I do not see a problem with the spinning wheel if it is sealed wood and clean. It may pay to email about the wool and see what you are allowed to bring in.

Thanks,

Scoured just means boiled for 15 minutes at least. Have done that to all my wool and most even longer as I dyed it.

Glad I am not the only one who found them confusing. I did check the links, but still, it is normal yarn, like what normal clothes are made off. I did declare my clothes once, it had handspun in it too. They just laughed at me! Ah well.

It's hard to work out whether they would put spun wool in the same category as wool that has just been shorn from the sheep. Are you sending it via normal post or using a shipping service? Usually the shippers know how to handle these things but if you are just sending it through the post then I'd be tempted just to declare it on the customs form and then they'll inspect it if they think they need to - the worst thing that could happen is it gets held up in quarantine for a bit and maybe you have to pay for fumigation or irradiation. As it's a personal not commercial shipment, and it's not a prohibited import, I don't think they'd be too worried about it.

I know what you mean about being laughed at - I've declared some wooden items a couple of times and they seemed to think that was hilarious. Maybe you should quickly knit it into a giant rug - then they'd just wave you through! :laugh:

yes, that is the thing, all these things knit up would be fine, I see the yarn as un-knit clothes or items, not as sheep-wool.

There is some handspun in there though, so I would feel morally wrong if I imported that without it getting any treatment. I've contacted the irradiation people here but have not heard back yet. Can't fumigate from the Netherlands or Europe, they banned methyl-bromide, which makes me think I don't want them to use this on my yarn. Much rather microwave it (irradiation is about as dangerous), it does not harm the wool at all.

yes, that is the thing, all these things knit up would be fine, I see the yarn as un-knit clothes or items, not as sheep-wool.

There is some handspun in there though, so I would feel morally wrong if I imported that without it getting any treatment. I've contacted the irradiation people here but have not heard back yet. Can't fumigate from the Netherlands or Europe, they banned methyl-bromide, which makes me think I don't want them to use this on my yarn. Much rather microwave it (irradiation is about as dangerous), it does not harm the wool at all.

Its a real long shot, but maybe you could get in contact with Bert from the big Bouquet.

The Big Bouquet

He's a fellow Dutchie, and breeds Alpacas ( and grows gerbera's) and buys & sells them nationally & internationally if I am correct. He might know, or be able to help you with some of the rules & regs regarding unspun wool.

Are you moving from Holland? and where are you heading?

Paul

Thanks Paul,

we are in the Netherlands now and are moving to New zealand in 13 days and 18 hours. :chatterbox:

Hopefully we can move to Australia in 4 or 5 months, we are still waiting for a PR 176, but are on the SMP for Tasmania so it should not take much longer really. Anyhow, we can stay in NZ till august anyway.

The wool will be in storage and send to Australia once we've settled.

Archived