register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Taxo

NYE - mum visiting, wants to be 'wowed'

Guest Taxo

So, my mum is coming to visit just after Chrimbo. She's never been to Australia before, and so is very, very excited.

She wants to spend NYE in Sydney and see the fireworks of course.

I'm thinking about one of those dinner&cruises around the harbour. Anyone been on one? Got any good companies to recommend?

Willing to consider something else, but what I'm looking for is something that is going to be (maybe a cliche but) totally amazing that will make everyone else jealous etc etc.

Idea-me-up, gang :cool:

Guest grolly

Hi

When we were in Sydney 2 years ago we spent NYE at Peter Doyles @ the Quay. They have a courtyard outside where you get great views over the bridge and opera house and they have a band playing so the atmosphere was great. Food and wine was excellent too. You can also watch all the boats coming past for the light parade. I'd really recommend it!

Peter Doyle @ the Quay - New Year's Eve

So jealous we can't be there this year! Hopefully next year!

Guest cazbeckham

Be warned about NYE in Sydney............ you will need to be down by the opera house or gardens in the morning to get a spot and a lot of the area is ticket entry only so check when they go on sale.

We were on holiday over NYE in 2006 and could not get no where near to see the bridge fireworks so we just spent the evening in our hotel which had a brick wall out of the window (and that was a five star hotel in the middle of the city).

I know you can be anywhere to see the fireworks as you only have to look up in the sky but its the atmosphere that you want as well. Good Luck

Guest cazbeckham

Grolly

You must be super rich as I looked at the link and the meals on NYE are $600 per person, I am sorry but no amount of fireworks or food is worth $600.

Guest Taxo

Hmmm, we did leave early and sit out by domain/Mrs Macquarie's chair one year when we were here on holiday, but that was a group of youngsters.

My mum won't be able to do that, really.

Thanks for the link Grolly, that is the sort of thing I was after, although probably a bit too pricey for me.

There'll be three people, ideally I'd like to be not too much over 1,000 total (which is a lot, but it'll be our christmas present to her).

There are cheaper ones you need to look down the list!

176 (family) visa lodged - 7/3/08 CO assigned - 18 Nov 08 VISA GRANTED - 29 Jan 09... arrived 7 June 09

We took my parents to Blues Point Reserve a few years ago and that certainly had the WOW factor. It's just in front of the bridge. There were people there early in the day and then some who rocked up just before midnight as well! There were portaloos there and it seemed to have a nice atmosphere. The kids played in the water before it got too busy. We set up our beach tent and just had a fab day.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest Manxie

Hi

My folks are here for NYE too. We've got tickets to Lawn With A View at the Botanic Gardens - which is really handy for us as our apartment is next to Botanic Gardens/Opera House. Can't remember how much tickets cost - but not hugely expensive. As it's tickets you don't need to queue up all day - gates open at around 7pm and you just find a good spot for your picnic rug.

Ticket price includes a little picnic per person and you can buy beer and wine etc in there.

We also did this last year and really enjoyed it. Great views of Opera House and Bridge, so an ideal place to watch the fireworks. Fingers crossed it wont be raining..!! Good luck - hope you get something sorted !!