register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Andy & Kelly

457- Perm Res Dilemma

Hi,

My 457 runs out in Feb 2011. At this point i will be applying for 856 ENS. It states that you should have a minimum of two years working in Australia with at least one year with your current employer. Now i have this.....nearly!

The thing is my visa was granted on a Friday, then there was a long weekend so i didn't start work until the following Tuesday. So basically i'm short by a couple days actual work at the point of applying for new visa. Will this matter? Are DIAC going to notice? If so will be visa be denied?

Any help much appreciated.

Andy

Guest Yury

There's actually a list of "one of the following" options.

And others being highly paid position (165k+) or 3 years experience overall and qualifications asessed by relevant authority. So if you have overseas experience in your field with total of over 3 years you can apply regardless of OZ experience.

Though if you had you probably wouldn't ask...Anyways, people sometimes miss that point.

Good luck!

Hi,

My 457 runs out in Feb 2011. At this point i will be applying for 856 ENS. It states that you should have a minimum of two years working in Australia with at least one year with your current employer. Now i have this.....nearly!

The thing is my visa was granted on a Friday, then there was a long weekend so i didn't start work until the following Tuesday. So basically i'm short by a couple days actual work at the point of applying for new visa. Will this matter? Are DIAC going to notice? If so will be visa be denied?

Any help much appreciated.

Andy

It's quite a tricky question, are your company not using a migration agent? I thought most did and they should be able to help with that. Even aside from the couple of days, would you get your application in exactly on the last day of your 457 visa, not sure I would want to risk that.

If you did a skills assessment or as previous OP said the position ays over $165k a year, you wouldn't need to satisfy the 2 years rule.

Woul you be able to extend the 457 as a back up plan until you get it sorted?

It's quite a tricky question, are your company not using a migration agent? I thought most did and they should be able to help with that. Even aside from the couple of days, would you get your application in exactly on the last day of your 457 visa, not sure I would want to risk that.

If you did a skills assessment or as previous OP said the position ays over $165k a year, you wouldn't need to satisfy the 2 years rule.

Woul you be able to extend the 457 as a back up plan until you get it sorted?

Can an existing 457 of two years be extended?

Can an existing 457 of two years be extended?

No you need a new one

Applying for a new visa

If you have an employee who wants to apply for a new visa (where their current visa is about to expire), the employee must lodge a new visa application.

From 14 September 2009, 457 visa holders who want to change sponsors or nominated positions (within the validity of their current visa) will not be required to apply for a new Subclass 457 visa.

Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)