Guest tusharjalan

Next to impossible for current student to apply for 885

Guest tusharjalan

Hi,

I have had a read of the proposed changes to skilled migration program. What strikes me is a person like me, who is currently pursuing an accounting undergraduate degree will find it very difficult to get permanent residency unless I can score 8 in all 4 bands of IELTS.

Let me illustrate my situation to you.

I am 21 years old.

I am currently pursuing an undergraduate accounting degree in gold coast, Queensland.

I graduate in July next year.

I am in the top 5% of my university in respect to grades. (says that on my transcript)

I have already secured an accounting job, starting this month, will work full time during vacations and part- time during my next and last semester.

My current IELTS score is 8 overall( 9 in listening and reading, 7.5 in speaking and 6.5 in writing). I have to give IELTS once again, and I am confident i can get 4x7 but 4x8 is a whole different story.

Now it seems that because I will have to apply for a new visa in july/august next year, I wont have 1 year of work experience and hence wont get 5 points.

With the new points test I will be on 55 points unless I score 8 in all 4 bands of IELTS.

With the old points test I would be on 120, with which i could pass.

My other option is to apply for a 487 temporary residency visa, which again is a 18 month visa. Even if I apply for that and work for the next 18 months after I graduate, I will still have only 2 years of work experience and will still get 5 points, which will still not be enough (this is assuming that the immigration rules stay the same for the next 2.5 years which is unlikely)

So ultimately I have to somehow manage an 8 in IELTS to have a chance. I suspect every other student graduates soon (in the next year) will have to do the same, I cant see any other option. Is there any other option that I am overlooking?

On a side note, It is virtually impossible to apply before July 1st, if my uni semester gets over around the 20th of june right?

Guest tusharjalan

Just to correct myself, the temporary residency visa is 485 and not 487 as mentioned in the post!

Guest lena007

you will need to get a positive skills assessment with uni results and final academic transcript before applying for pr, and this may take a few weeks.....

My other option is to apply for a 487 temporary residency visa, which again is a 18 month visa.

Would the extra 18months give you time to improve your english though to get 8's? or perhaps push you up to the nex tage bracket and gain more points?

Sarah -176 SS (non-CSL) - Granted Dec '09, validated Apr '10 :v_SPIN:

Hi,

I have had a read of the proposed changes to skilled migration program. What strikes me is a person like me, who is currently pursuing an accounting undergraduate degree will find it very difficult to get permanent residency unless I can score 8 in all 4 bands of IELTS.

Let me illustrate my situation to you.

I am 21 years old.

I am currently pursuing an undergraduate accounting degree in gold coast, Queensland.

I graduate in July next year.

I am in the top 5% of my university in respect to grades. (says that on my transcript)

I have already secured an accounting job, starting this month, will work full time during vacations and part- time during my next and last semester.

My current IELTS score is 8 overall( 9 in listening and reading, 7.5 in speaking and 6.5 in writing). I have to give IELTS once again, and I am confident i can get 4x7 but 4x8 is a whole different story.

Now it seems that because I will have to apply for a new visa in july/august next year, I wont have 1 year of work experience and hence wont get 5 points.

With the new points test I will be on 55 points unless I score 8 in all 4 bands of IELTS.

With the old points test I would be on 120, with which i could pass.

My other option is to apply for a 487 temporary residency visa, which again is a 18 month visa. Even if I apply for that and work for the next 18 months after I graduate, I will still have only 2 years of work experience and will still get 5 points, which will still not be enough (this is assuming that the immigration rules stay the same for the next 2.5 years which is unlikely)

So ultimately I have to somehow manage an 8 in IELTS to have a chance. I suspect every other student graduates soon (in the next year) will have to do the same, I cant see any other option. Is there any other option that I am overlooking?

On a side note, It is virtually impossible to apply before July 1st, if my uni semester gets over around the 20th of june right?

I think you may be underestimating yourself on IELTS, I am guessing that you are not British by your username, although apologies if I'm wrong. Your post was perfect, if you can get into the top 5% at Uni, you'll do fine!

Which Uni are you at??

Steph

xxxx

Yes

Do not ever underestimate yourself. Earlier this year I was going through a tough season - my first attempt with Ielts , the writing part let me down - with a score of 6.5 compared to 8s' in all the others. So what did I do for my next attempt ? I practiced rather practically - printed out the exact writing answer sheet hard copies and used them instead. I loved the second time I sat Ielts , though nerve wracking and mind numbing - the 14 day wait revealed a writing score of '8.5' at the end.

All the best, mate. Hope everything works out for you.

----------------------------------------------------------

When Life leaves you blind, Love keeps you Kind.

www.sidfire.net

Guest tusharjalan
I think you may be underestimating yourself on IELTS, I am guessing that you are not British by your username, although apologies if I'm wrong. Your post was perfect, if you can get into the top 5% at Uni, you'll do fine!

Which Uni are you at??

Steph

xxxx

No, I am Indian. I hope I can get 8, even if I manage to get 8, what about the other students who are studying, surely they can not expect every international student to score an 8. I am at Griffith University, Queensland.

Yes

Do not ever underestimate yourself. Earlier this year I was going through a tough season - my first attempt with Ielts , the writing part let me down - with a score of 6.5 compared to 8s' in all the others. So what did I do for my next attempt ? I practiced rather practically - printed out the exact writing answer sheet hard copies and used them instead. I loved the second time I sat Ielts , though nerve wracking and mind numbing - the 14 day wait revealed a writing score of '8.5' at the end.

All the best, mate. Hope everything works out for you.

Thanks for the encouraging words. Did you take any training course, or did you just practice yourself? Any other strategies that I could use?

Guest tyasawa

IELTS 8 overall is not impossible :)

My sister came here 2 years ago for studying Accounting too. She will graduate this Dec. She sat on 2 IELTS test so far. Her first one (General), got 7 min in each section. She had to take another one since the Academic IELTS is needed for Accounting skill assessment. Guess what... she got 8 overall. She even said the writing on Academic is way easier, since it is similar to writing style for her assignments.

She is really smart, almost always get HD. FYI she is not really fluent in English. She sometimes still stutters when she is nervous. She studied how to do well in IELTS, predict how to answer the questions by looking at the examples, and she succeeded.

=D so cheer up!!! Worse case get 485 first, then use the time to get 8 for the IELTS. Anyway IMO now it is safer to get 485 along with the 885. In case something rule change come up in the future, you still hold eligible visa (485) to apply for other substantive visa. I am in category 4 now (the dreaded Computer Professional (ICT Recent Grad) mess. If only I applied for 485 first, I would have a chance to get into cat 3 by using the new sol.

My sister came here 2 years ago for studying Accounting too. She will graduate this Dec. She sat on 2 IELTS test so far. Her first one (General), got 7 min in each section. She had to take another one since the Academic IELTS is needed for Accounting skill assessment. Guess what... she got 8 overall. She even said the writing on Academic is way easier, since it is similar to writing style for her assignments.

She is really smart, almost always get HD. FYI she is not really fluent in English. She sometimes still stutters when she is nervous. She studied how to do well in IELTS, predict how to answer the questions by looking at the examples, and she succeeded.

=D so cheer up!!! Worse case get 485 first, then use the time to get 8 for the IELTS. Anyway IMO now it is safer to get 485 along with the 885. In case something rule change come up in the future, you still hold eligible visa (485) to apply for other substantive visa. I am in category 4 now (the dreaded Computer Professional (ICT Recent Grad) mess. If only I applied for 485 first, I would have a chance to get into cat 3 by using the new sol.

If you read the OP he says that he already scored 8 overall. He just says that it is very difficult to get an 8 in each band.

Cheers

Guest tyasawa
If you read the OP he says that he already scored 8 overall. He just says that it is very difficult to get an 8 in each band.

Cheers

Woops sorry it should be 8 min... She got all 8 except 8.5 for reading. She got better score on writing for the Academic one, the General one she only got 7 in writing.

I've just woken up when I wrote that.. Sorry to disappoint your rude assumption :D

Guest greenlantern

umm well seee

Guest greenlantern

sorry for my previous reply... computer playing up... see your post realy caught my eyes...you are young and you are already working.. why on the earth you are thinking about residency and stuff.. you can have so much potential in future... as you said your grades are good...then I am pretty sure companies who sponsor people here for work would really like too sponsor you if you are up to the mark....who knows may be you will get a job in overseas...

From my point of view ( who is in australia for last 3 month in work sponsor visa) the australian government is tightening the gap and holes to stop the number off application which generates from the academic sector...and of the main reason may be the quality of outcome they were expecting for the labor market it was not the standard they were expecting in terms of may be communication skills ....or other stuff..

And that is why they are pushing the boundary for the english proficiency....and also the new trend is companies do not want to hire people without experience..no matter graduates or experienced... that is because companies to not want to spend their budget on graduate training all over the year... the experience you might get next 1 year it will put you in a better position in a job market....

Guest tusharjalan

I think that is my only option, have to really slog and work on IELTS. I am worried that if the immigration rules change again, and say accounting is dropped from the SOL list, I will be no where.

sorry for my previous reply... computer playing up... see your post realy caught my eyes...you are young and you are already working.. why on the earth you are thinking about residency and stuff.. you can have so much potential in future... as you said your grades are good...then I am pretty sure companies who sponsor people here for work would really like too sponsor you if you are up to the mark....who knows may be you will get a job in overseas...

From my point of view ( who is in australia for last 3 month in work sponsor visa) the australian government is tightening the gap and holes to stop the number off application which generates from the academic sector...and of the main reason may be the quality of outcome they were expecting for the labor market it was not the standard they were expecting in terms of may be communication skills ....or other stuff..

And that is why they are pushing the boundary for the english proficiency....and also the new trend is companies do not want to hire people without experience..no matter graduates or experienced... that is because companies to not want to spend their budget on graduate training all over the year... the experience you might get next 1 year it will put you in a better position in a job market....

Yeah, Possibly my current employer or another would be willing to sponsor me, but the minimum wage for a sponsored employee is quite high, and I dont think i can reach those wage levels with 1-2 years of experience.

I have to worry about residency because my current visa expires in August next year, and have to make a decision before that on what type of visa I have to apply for.

Guest Laura G

Hi

Are you able to take on extra subjects in a Semester in order to complete your studies before July 2011?

It may be worth a chat with a Student counsellor at Griffith to see if it is possible

You have come this far

or

Apply for the 485 in July and perform extra work experience to gain extra points

Guest tusharjalan
Hi

Are you able to take on extra subjects in a Semester in order to complete your studies before July 2011?

It may be worth a chat with a Student counsellor at Griffith to see if it is possible

You have come this far

or

Apply for the 485 in July and perform extra work experience to gain extra points

Hi Laura,

It is not possible for me to finish before July 2011, because I have 4 subjects to go, and there is no way that I can do that over the summer. Moreover, even if somehow I do it, I will then not meet the 2 year rule, as i came to Australia only in July 2009.

If I do get the 485, then I get 18 months. Even if i work through out, I will have 7 months of work experience now, and 18 months on that visa, which will give me just over 2 years of work experience, which is still only 5 points. So the net effect is, 8 in the IELTS is still required, because 7 will still leave me short by 5 points.

Guest zzzsianzzz
Hi Laura,

It is not possible for me to finish before July 2011, because I have 4 subjects to go, and there is no way that I can do that over the summer. Moreover, even if somehow I do it, I will then not meet the 2 year rule, as i came to Australia only in July 2009.

If I do get the 485, then I get 18 months. Even if i work through out, I will have 7 months of work experience now, and 18 months on that visa, which will give me just over 2 years of work experience, which is still only 5 points. So the net effect is, 8 in the IELTS is still required, because 7 will still leave me short by 5 points.

i guess u can still try to get 8 while ure working? or take up professional year after your 1 year experience.

Guest zzzsianzzz

DIAC doesnt really bother whether you're the top few or last few... its only the employers that care abt that.. im also the top few percent in my uni.. and im stuck in the limbo at cat 4.. your situation is not exactly the worst of the worst.. theres still hope though.. might just need a slightly longer time..

:wink:

Guest tusharjalan
i guess u can still try to get 8 while ure working? or take up professional year after your 1 year experience.

Yup, I will just have to wait and see what happens, and assess my situation as I go along.

But for an average student, with proficient english (7 IELTS), its going to be a bumpy road ahead!

Guest Laura G

Hi,

I am sure a Migration Agent will back me up with this statement

To meet the 2 year study rule

You need to study a 2 year academic course content (CRICOS Registered as 92 weeks or more) but can finish it in 16 months or more - Therefore you can fast track it and still meet PR criteria

I understand taking the extra subject maybe difficult if you are trying to work to support yourself

Currently the processing time on a 485 visa is approx 10 months according to DIAC website, whithin which time you will hold a Bridging Visa and have full work rights as you have finished your course, plus the 18 months of the 485 visa, this may help you get some extra work experience.

I agree with you about the IELTS test, it will prove very difficult for people to get scores required

I know they offer points for a professional year, but this will cost you more money...

Would you consider some private English lessons... most IELTS teachers say a lot of the IELTS test is about technique??

I know a private teacher on the Gold Coast (Surfers Paradise)

Nothing to do with me being an Education Agent, she is a friend of mine and I believe she has students from Griffith and CQU - Message me if you want her details

Maybe QLD will place Accountants on their SMP list - Here's hoping.

Well done for acheiving your IELTS score, it it pretty impressive for someone who has English as a second language.

A lot of International Students hav difficulty making 6.0 x 4

Guest zzzsianzzz
Yup, I will just have to wait and see what happens, and assess my situation as I go along.

But for an average student, with proficient english (7 IELTS), its going to be a bumpy road ahead!

i think its not all lost yet as it hasnt been finalized about that new points system.. as tradies will pretty much out of that system unless they have vast amount of experience AND young..

and in your case, its still 1/2 year away.. so there might be some modifications to that system...

locals dont wanna be accountants due to their work hours, so i would say that accountants will be there for a while at least.. they are accepting different IELTS level in Cat 3 for accountants only.. :twitcy:

Guest tusharjalan
Hi,

I am sure a Migration Agent will back me up with this statement

To meet the 2 year study rule

You need to study a 2 year academic course content (CRICOS Registered as 92 weeks or more) but can finish it in 16 months or more - Therefore you can fast track it and still meet PR criteria

I understand taking the extra subject maybe difficult if you are trying to work to support yourself

Currently the processing time on a 485 visa is approx 10 months according to DIAC website, whithin which time you will hold a Bridging Visa and have full work rights as you have finished your course, plus the 18 months of the 485 visa, this may help you get some extra work experience.

I agree with you about the IELTS test, it will prove very difficult for people to get scores required

I know they offer points for a professional year, but this will cost you more money...

Would you consider some private English lessons... most IELTS teachers say a lot of the IELTS test is about technique??

I know a private teacher on the Gold Coast (Surfers Paradise)

Nothing to do with me being an Education Agent, she is a friend of mine and I believe she has students from Griffith and CQU - Message me if you want her details

Maybe QLD will place Accountants on their SMP list - Here's hoping.

Well done for acheiving your IELTS score, it it pretty impressive for someone who has English as a second language.

A lot of International Students hav difficulty making 6.0 x 4

Right, but over the summer I can take maybe 2 subjects, and to do the other 2 I have to do the next semester, which will not help my situation. So early completion of the course is out of the question.

It is interesting that the processing time for the 485 is 10 months, so 10 months + 18 months of the visa, plus 7 months now, is 35 months, 1 month short of 3 years :eek:

I am planning on taking the IELTS again soon, maybe in January, and assessing where I stand. If after that I need the help, I will definitely seek help. If you don't mind could you please send me the contact details of the concerned person.

English is not exactly my second language. I have studied in English all my life. (Since kindergarden). Even though I am not from a 'native english speaking' country, I like to think of English as my first language. Heck, my english is better that my hindi (technically should be my first language).

Guest Laura G

Very true!!!!

Its more than possible that this points test could be withdrawn or revised.

I noticed that they are withdrawing Family Sponsorship points for 176/886

That will hurt people as well.

It will be intersting to watch over the next 6 months.

I wonder if they will suspend applications from overseas 175/176 nearer the implementation date to stop people from lodging too many applications under the old points system.

Like they did in May of this year

Guest tusharjalan
Very true!!!!

Its more than possible that this points test could be withdrawn or revised.

I noticed that they are withdrawing Family Sponsorship points for 176/886

That will hurt people as well.

It will be intersting to watch over the next 6 months.

I wonder if they will suspend applications from overseas 175/176 nearer the implementation date to stop people from lodging too many applications under the old points system.

Like they did in May of this year

I think its just a waiting game now.

Guest Laura G
Right, but over the summer I can take maybe 2 subjects, and to do the other 2 I have to do the next semester, which will not help my situation. So early completion of the course is out of the question.

It is interesting that the processing time for the 485 is 10 months, so 10 months + 18 months of the visa, plus 7 months now, is 35 months, 1 month short of 3 years :eek:

I am planning on taking the IELTS again soon, maybe in January, and assessing where I stand. If after that I need the help, I will definitely seek help. If you don't mind could you please send me the contact details of the concerned person.

English is not exactly my second language. I have studied in English all my life. (Since kindergarden). Even though I am not from a 'native english speaking' country, I like to think of English as my first language. Heck, my english is better that my hindi (technically should be my first language).

Hi,

You do have excellent English Skills - Sorry if I offended you!!

Hopefully all will work out, you never know you may even venture down the Employer Sponsored route and you will not need to worry about points tests!!!

485 processing could take longer.....you never know!!!

Good luck with your studies

Just on a personal note, if you have time can you send me a private message about what you think of Griffith Uni, I like to get feed back from students about their personal journey.

It helps me with my work...... Thanks

Guest tusharjalan
Hi,

You do have excellent English Skills - Sorry if I offended you!!

Hopefully all will work out, you never know you may even venture down the Employer Sponsored route and you will not need to worry about points tests!!!

485 processing could take longer.....you never know!!!

Good luck with your studies

Just on a personal note, if you have time can you send me a private message about what you think of Griffith Uni, I like to get feed back from students about their personal journey.

It helps me with my work...... Thanks

You did not offend me, most people I meet here do not believe me when I say that I have studied English probably for as long as they have, and it is like my first language.

Hopefully, As I said earlier it is just a waiting game now, and assessing where I stand, as I go along.

With regards to feedback, I will send you a PM soon.