New Points Test - Details Released 11 November

George Lombard

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well they ****ed that up!!!

I already have my application in, so can really put forward what I think impartially.

I am an elec eng (Chartered), all the bells and whistles. now I only just scrape 70 points here (with state sponsorship).

So a tradie with a few years post experience and a bit of cash with him could well be over 32, therefore 25 points. Add 10 for IELTS 7.0 (using UK passport), 15 points (8+ years experience), 10 points (recognised apprenticeship) and 5 for the misses (assume that you have not moved heaven and earth to keep teacher misses at home with little one). Grand total is 65.

So your experienced tradie with a bit of survival cash cannot have a stay at home mum, or needs to learn a foreign language, or prove his standard of English, work in Oz for x years, get state sponsorship etc. Crap, not enough people qualified to that level need to go through this.

This points test is a thicko tool for trying to keep out non, Irish, Brit, Yank, Canadian etc. I can imagine the office conversation at DIAC now "so how do we whiten things up"!

"Easy, use a points test to keep out non English speaking potential immigrants".

"Are you sure"?

"Yeah what can go wrong"?

"Erm, we make it so hard no qualified people apply"?

"Nah, will never happen".

Personally I can see a few holes with this particular points system, what it is aimed to do and how it is trying to achieve it. Be surprised if it is not altered before implementation next year.

What do I know, I'm just an electrician.

less overseas worker will results in high rates , so bowen is assuming by doing this he could encourage oz teenager to do a sparky's job over a white cool or for more cash and use their degree/qualification:biggrin: to repair ,install of household appliance(doesnt matter if he is unskilled to do job but have high language skills mixed with sweet voice :jiggy:and some steps to please his clients ) .............really interesting experiment making oz immigration system a comedy drama :biglaugh:

this is what Australian Industry Group chief executive Heather Ridout seems more matuared thinking says the points are unfair for those who have trade skills rather than degrees.For example, it would give applicants with undergraduate degrees five more points than highly skilled electricians or diesel mechanics whose skills are in particularly high demand in the mining, manufacturing and construction industries," he says.

Thats what i thought till i read this statement from Go Matilda

Importantly for those whose applications are already submitted, the Department of Immigration confirms that visa applications lodged before the 1st of July 2011 will be assessed against the current points test.

Regards Tania

Thankyou Tania !, i thought i was going mad yesterday:goofy: when i emailed hubby changes, i just could not find that statement:GEEK: and knew i had seen it somewhere lol , phew

Brides :notworthy:

I think the biggest problem with their habitat is that they just keep changing the rules for, seemingly, money-milking.

Just using my previous example, that Dec 2009 applicant can lodge a new application today, which would either put him into CAT 3 (if he changes his nominated occupation to the one on SOL, which is not a problem at all for most IT people) or even into CAT 2 (even without changing his occupation, but by obtaining VIC or ACT SS, both of which include the good ol 2231-79). But this means more money to DIAC (and, subsequently, migration agents) and a new timeline. And no guarantee this exercise wouldn't need to be repeated.

I just wonder wouldn't taking this case to the court be justified...

As for CAT 3 and CAT 4... CAT 3 is meant to be the mainstream, at least by declaration, for any people without SS. There is a substantial difference between the yearly SS quota and the general quota, so, as long as this is the case, CAT 3 applications should be processed at a significant rate.

But, again, who said this will remain the case for long?

One last thing. Australian migration officials/politicians keep saying they want employer-sponsored migration to become a mainstream. However, with the current situation, where 99% of Australian employers won't consider even interviewing someone overseas (just look at job ads and you'll get the picture), this is a completely unrealistic wishful thinking. Even being onshore (on a 457 visa), I'm reluctant to request employer's sponsorship for PR. Why? Because, at the moment you ask your employer for PR sponsorship, you owe them. When you OWE them, they OWN you. Meaning they can, even subconsciously, mistreat you. E.g. give you less salary increase than you deserve, or anything of this kind. Just because they know you can't leave them.

Once you get PR via an employer sponsored visa, you can leave your job as there is no condition attached to your 121/856 ENS migration visa requiring you to stay in that job. Unless your employment contract specifies a fixed term for employment, which most do not, then you are free to leave once you get PR.

Well, I've re-calculated & OH would only get maximum 55 points on the new system and that's with IELTS 8 (which he hasn't done) so we have to get our application in before July 2011 or our australian dream is over :cry:

It should be OK but we're still 2/3 weeks ish away from recieving the AQF III qualification as got a bit more info to send & they want to email 3 of the references. We should be ready to apply for the TRA by then which will then take 1-2 months by the looks of things. Then hopefully we'll be going for WA sponsorship, don't know how long that will take 2-4 months I think. So it looks OK but not much margin for error or anything taking ridiculously long. Even more nerve wracking now........ It has made one decision easy though, if we can't get SS on SMP then we will def go 175 route because at least the application will be in & better late than never they say! :eek:

This really is a minefield, I can't imagine what some of you have been through the last few years! But I'm so glad we finally got round to setting the ball rolling as we are pretty close to missing the boat altogether! :sad:

Wishing everyone on here the best of luck & I really hope with all my heart that everyone on hear gets to Oz soon xxxx :wubclub: :hug:

Guest stillwaiting79
The new points system does not give points for an Australian Masters degree..... it will be big blow for people like me who have just pursued a master's degree here and wanting to get residency...

i am doing my masters now and please refer to this;

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-fact.pdf

we do get points..unless im mistaken?

It is possible, but would require some major effort, and, most definitely, investing some money into a good course/tutor. I lived in a non-English-speaking country and was able to do IELTS with 8.5/9/7/7.5 marks without any preparation. I could have definitely done much better in writing if I had prepared more thoroughly. Speaking is the only part that requires a real human counterpart for practicing, everything else can be done using computer software and/or online.

Терпение и труд всё перетрут:wink:

Agreed, however feel the difference between an overall IELTS 8 and 'Superior English (a score of at least 8 in each of the four components

of the IELTS test).'

Но вообще спасибо за поддержку :biggrin:

I say bring the points test on, im ready and I know i would get 70 points which would allow me to apply under the new system for the 175.

shame my visa application is already in, the days of hammer of experts getting their visas before nuclear havard doctor are certaiinly over.

what a good result,

the experience is good as well, but they should of done 10 years 15, 8 years 10 points, 4 years 5 points. 2 years 2 points.

that would of been nice cruel, just like up their street

In my opinion, DIAC has played a smart game. They have not made any changes for degree holders as for me even the situation with the new point system will be tougher but they have made a lot of obstructions for trades

With current point system i have 25 points extra

With the new point system i don't have ant extra points as well as shortage meaning I am on the border!

Regards

Guest burgledad
That's pretty much what i said in my post. 100% agree. CANADA will be new destination for many now.

UK has recently announced a potentially massive hike in tuition fees. Along with a tightening of student visas and immigration laws, the UK is not going to be the destination of choice.

Guest burgledad
Well they ****ed that up!!!

I already have my application in, so can really put forward what I think impartially.

I am an elec eng (Chartered), all the bells and whistles. now I only just scrape 70 points here (with state sponsorship).

So a tradie with a few years post experience and a bit of cash with him could well be over 32, therefore 25 points. Add 10 for IELTS 7.0 (using UK passport), 15 points (8+ years experience), 10 points (recognised apprenticeship) and 5 for the misses (assume that you have not moved heaven and earth to keep teacher misses at home with little one). Grand total is 65.

So your experienced tradie with a bit of survival cash cannot have a stay at home mum, or needs to learn a foreign language, or prove his standard of English, work in Oz for x years, get state sponsorship etc. Crap, not enough people qualified to that level need to go through this.

This points test is a thicko tool for trying to keep out non, Irish, Brit, Yank, Canadian etc. I can imagine the office conversation at DIAC now "so how do we whiten things up"!

"Easy, use a points test to keep out non English speaking potential immigrants".

"Are you sure"?

"Yeah what can go wrong"?

"Erm, we make it so hard no qualified people apply"?

"Nah, will never happen".

Personally I can see a few holes with this particular points system, what it is aimed to do and how it is trying to achieve it. Be surprised if it is not altered before implementation next year.

What do I know, I'm just an electrician.

Well spotted Doc; Aussie voters don't want a multi-cultural society and their politicians realise this. I was in Sydney on business earlier this year and was surprised and how strongly the average Aussie feels about it and how many problems are blamed on immigration from non-British type cultures. Mind you, they even like to do a bit of Pom bashing as well. The new system is one tool aimed at trying to control the march and it seems that they are prepared to let their education sector shrink if necessary.

UK has recently announced a potentially massive hike in tuition fees. Along with a tightening of student visas and immigration laws, the UK is not going to be the destination of choice.

I don't think so. During a visit to China, the Prime Minister said Government plans to lift the cap on fees for British students would mean foreigners could be charged less.

David Cameron: 'Raising university tuition fees could cut cost for foreigners' - Telegraph

Totally agree with Rockdr and tyasawa

According to a recent survey, 50% of Australians don't have the literacy levels required for their professions costing billions to the economy. the Australian Government should ask its citizens to sit the ielts test -)

My former Australian office Manager once wrote on the white board in a staff meeting, very confidently, the word "recanition" rather than recognition. He tried to fix it but was unable to and had to ask one of us for the spelling.

pathetic

I don't think so. During a visit to China, the Prime Minister said Government plans to lift the cap on fees for British students would mean foreigners could be charged less.

David Cameron: 'Raising university tuition fees could cut cost for foreigners' - Telegraph

I very much doubt that will happen, the fees hike is to compensate for the planned reduction in government funding to universities, it's not extra money coming in...

Pls I need some clarification regarding the new point test system.

The first question: It clearly states in the point system doc on page 3 "as all applicants must nominate an occupation from the new list. " Does that mean that the only eligible applicants after july1, 2011 will be those whose occupation is on the new sol list? or would it is still be ok if your occupation is something else?

The second question: Provided that applicants can apply regardless of what their occupation is, will there still be the priority processing?

I have a double major and don't mind reapplying if it means getting it over with. But I don't want to get out of cat 4 to get stuck in another cat 4 waiting list.

Pls help

Pls I need some clarification regarding the new point test system.

The first question: It clearly states in the point system doc on page 3 "as all applicants must nominate an occupation from the new list. " Does that mean that the only eligible applicants after july1, 2011 will be those whose occupation is on the new sol list? or would it is still be ok if your occupation is something else?

There still be a set list, even before awarded points, u need to been on sol 3 or have a states smp. to apply

The second question: Provided that applicants can apply regardless of what their occupation is, will there still be the priority processing?

yes, its seems the australian program is moving towards the Canadian program. I wouldnt be surprise to see the list get smaller before the points system is implemented

Guest burgledad

As a Brit hoping to send my kids though Uni, this is terrible news. Not only are we being asked to pay ludicrous fees but now the competition for places from overseas students will become tighter. The number of overseas places should be determined by those that cannot be filled by citizens first rather than the other way round. It's no wonder that the citizens of western countries are becoming less tolerant if our politicians show us so little consideration.

As a Brit hoping to send my kids though Uni, this is terrible news. Not only are we being asked to pay ludicrous fees but now the competition for places from overseas students will become tighter. The number of overseas places should be determined by those that cannot be filled by citizens first rather than the other way round. It's no wonder that the citizens of western countries are becoming less tolerant if our politicians show us so little consideration.

What are you complaining about? Just checked couple of websites regarding cost of higher education in UK. Well, $3,500 pounds for academic year is sooo cheap. You would have to pay more than $1,000 AU just for one subject here in Australia.

PS.

I don’t want to hear about the exchange rate. You live in UK, therefore you pay in pounds and we pay in Australian dollars. It seems logical to me.

Guest burgledad

Dont know what you mean by $3500 pounds, is it dollars or pounds? Don't know where you've been looking either tuition fees for the subjects my children want to study would mean three years upwards of £9000 a year. My maths calculates that at £27,000 for 3 years and if it's medicine £45,000. At the current exchange rate that would equate to $14,697 per year or $44,091for 3 years and $73,485 for 5 years, I think that this is much more than the $1000 per subject you are quoting, which by the way equates to £612.

Dont know what you mean by $3500 pounds, is it dollars or pounds? Don't know where you've been looking either tuition fees for the subjects my children want to study would mean three years upwards of £9000 a year. My maths calculates that at £27,000 for 3 years and if it's medicine £45,000. At the current exchange rate that would equate to $14,697 per year or $44,091for 3 years and $73,485 for 5 years, I think that this is much more than the $1000 per subject you are quoting, which by the way equates to £612.

Here is the link for you:

How much will university or college cost? Tuition fees and other expenses : Directgov - Education and learning

Even with those figures that you quoted, it is about the same that local students pay atm. over here. If you want to do medicine, your degree would cost you in excess of $100,000 easily. Fees are rising every year. To give you an example, when I stared my studies each subject was about $820 by the time I finished uni that figure climbed to $1,020 per subject. Fees are rising every year and will continue to do so in the future.

Archived