New Points Test - Details Released 11 November

George Lombard

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Is the new points system will be applicable to existing applicants?

As per above, I just cleared.... but I would like to know whether the new system is applicable to existing applicants or not...

Satish

No - if you read the FAQs they clearly state that this applies to applicants applying after July'11. If you want to be assessed under the new criteria then you would have to lodge a new application and pay the applicable fee again. Fees for the previous application won't be refunded.

Guest Mongobear

I wonder whether they'll implement new visa-classes along with these changes. It would make a later cap&cease for unwanted applications (cat4) a lot easier. Don't want to spark a scare but this is what happened to the pre Sept. '07 applicants. New visa-classed were introduced along with the new requirements and three years later all remaining 13x visas were capped and ceased.

Maybe our professionals can shed some light on this?

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

How is any of this going to help the average Aussie?

My sister Elaine is Mrs Average Aussie who has lived in Australia for the last 30 years, mainly in Perth.

Last year, she and I went on bended knee to a British Painter & Decorator whom I had met via Poms in Oz (user-name Jackal) to persuade him to go and redecorate Elaine's house from top to bottom as soon as he reached Perth on his WA-sponsored sc 176 visa.

Elaine told me that she had been trying to find a Painter & Decorator in Perth ever snce 2007. She said that none of the large companies with good reputations were interested in redecorating an ordinary domestic house. They had quoted prices that were so high that they were certain of not getting the work because, basically, they were not interested in a one-off job of redecorating one solitary house. They wanted to do commercial projects such as decorating new hospitals, offices or schools or redecorating existing commercial buildings. Their quotes were simply not competitive for doing a good, reliable job on an ordinary house.

At the other end of the spectrum, there was no shortage of wannabies who were just Mr DIY Man Extraordinaires. Some of them may have been very good but Elaine did not know any of them personally or by word-of-mouth recommendation so she would have been taking pot luck with any of them.

I told her that Jackal was about 30, had had 12 or 13 years of professional experience, had made his living out of Painting & Decorating in the UK plus he had recently obtained an Aussie AQF III qualification, so it followed that he must be pretty good at doing the job. She agreed so together we contacted Jackal and persuaded him to go and deal with Elaine's house as soon as practicable after he got to Perth.

He turned out to be the sort of tradesman who is a joy to have in the house. He was nice to everybody, decided on the best types of paint etc and merely gave Elaine the colour charts to choose from. He got the paint and other materials and did one room at a time without making a mess anywhere else in the house and he left each room spotless once he had finished it . He did the outside of the house last and was worried about whether the paint would stick because it was so hot outside that the paint was drying as soon as he had applied it. He thought the paint might flake and fall off in those conditions but he questioned the local manufacturers/importers who assured him that their external paint would not fall off. The manufacturers/importers were right and their product was fine for the job. The problem of the very dry heat in WA had been thought about and dealt with adequately.

It was Jackal's first job in Perth so he charged a sensible price for doing the work and was not at all snobby about the fact that it was "only" an ordinary family house. Elaine's friends and her Aussie in-laws were so impressed by rhe quality of the workmanship that that they wanted their own houses redecorated as well. It became a case of "Grab Jackal whilst you can because he is ambitious and he won't maintain his "introductory prices" for ever." Indeed, Jackal has since moved out of Perth Metro so he is no longer available to help Elaine and her friends and family.

It would not have mattered if he were Indian, Chinese, Polish or Rumanian. The important thing was that we felt that he could be trusted to do the job properly and not to steal any of the family silver whilst he did the job because Elaine was out at work so she didn't have time to follow him around all day. He made sure that he arrived before Elaine and her husband left for work and then let himself out before they got home in the evenings, so that they could have their family house back and their privacy to themselves in the usual way when their own working days had ended.

It was a very successful experiment but I have warned Elaine not to allow the loos in the house to get blocked or broken because a very senior DIAC official told me recently that it is impossible to find a domestic plumber in Perth at the moment.

Senator Evans' & his ALP Cronies' Big Idea is that an Aussie youngster who has spent 12 months at a local college should be encouraged to go and paint Elaine's house. Evans reckons without Elaine, who is the same age as himself and would not permit an inexperienced Aussie to go and interfere with her precious house.

Elaine doesn't want a bloke with a PhD. She wants skilled, experienced tradesmen who can look after her house for her in return for a sensible price. She doesn't care whether a tradie who fixes her loo has IELTS 8 or not. She won't be there to chat to him anyway.

So how is this latest plan for Skilled Migration actually going to help her and the hundreds of thousands of other Australians who are complaining bitterly that a severe shortage of skilled tradies is allowing the tradies to quote ridiculously high prices for doing the work that needs doing?

Cheers

Gill

I wonder whether they'll implement new visa-classes along with these changes. It would make a later cap&cease for unwanted applications (cat4) a lot easier. Don't want to spark a scare but this is what happened to the pre Sept. '07 applicants. New visa-classed were introduced along with the new requirements and three years later all remaining 13x visas were capped and ceased.

Maybe our professionals can shed some light on this?

This is exactly what I think is going to happen. All those who are in cat 4 better watch out.

The new points system does not give points for an Australian Masters degree..... it will be big blow for people like me who have just pursued a master's degree here and wanting to get residency...

mate, u get 15 points if u hold an overseas bachelor's degree which obviously u would have ..without that u couldn't have come here to do ur masters! :)

is this aimed at all international students or really those whose native tongue is not english??

if we were still to apply via the student route this is how it would work for myself

25 age

20 for 8 ielts (i have higher english so think i could most prob achieve this)

5 for aussie employment for a year

10 for aussie diploma

5 for partner skills

5 for regional study

theres over the req 65 points??

and do i read it correctly there are no longer 40/50/60 point jobs anymore, they are all worth no points?? if thats the case whats to stop me going via the student route and either gaining ss or ens ?

thanks kel:wubclub:

Considering they are the two largest suppliers of immigrants to Australia, it seems IELTS 8 gives Indian applicants an emphatic advantage over Chinese applicants.

BTW, speaking of migration issues, it seems like Ronan Keating (also Brian McFadden) is now pretty much living in Australian or so! Wonder if Irish people miss them back home!?

So does this mean then, that in order to be assessed at 8 for superior English everyone will need to take an IELTS test or is there some sort of waiver for native English speakers, born, educated and brought up in the UK?

I am asking for a friend who is a qualified Speech Therapist and the nature of her occupation of course, demands that she has an extremely high level of English. Her skills assessment states that it can be taken as evidence of 'competent English'. She is waiting to apply for SS with WA but if this doesn't come through before next July then she will be subject to the new points test.

If everyone has to take an IELTS test then this will put pressure on that system and earn megabucks for them.

I have worked out my husbands pints on the new pints system and he only get's 35

Age 40-44 15

English language comp 0 I cant see my husband passing the extra test as he is dyslexic

over seas exp 15

qualifications 0 husband in the process of doing AQF111 for plastering but in the Uk so doesnot count

State sponorship 5

total 35

In the old points system he can achieve 110 with state sponsor.

Hopefully we can get things through before the 1st July as otherwize it looks like we will not be going.

I think it will hit alot of people after July if you are a tradeperson as most trades dont have a phd and will be short of points etc. I thought Australia was in need of trades I think it is alittle unfair with this points system.:arghh:

Guest Mongobear

If you are lucky enough to secure a state-sponsorship then the new system will also affect your application. But of course only if you plan to lodge your application in July 2011. Current applications are not affected at all.

I think this is a harder pass mark - my OH is secondary school teacher, has a bachelors and two masters degrees but only scrapes 55 points - even with 9 in each band of IELTS - losing points on state sponsorship - effectively down from 10 to 5 - and losing occupation 60 points - means he can't apply - bloody hope we get SA SS and can apply soon otherwise totally screwed! :(

Also does anyone know what constitutes a "professional year" - is it basically one year work experience? Anyway it would still only take him up to 60 points!

Guest Mongobear

No the "Professional Year Program" is an Australian thing and has nothing to do with normal work-experience. As far as I know only IT- and accountancy-graduates can participate and will get extra-points or any kind of better treatment if they do it. However, it is nothing that could help your OH.

I see major difference between Mr.Bowen and Evan, Mr.Bowen seems to be more moral obligated. At least he talks about what he is going to do in future and is informing applicant of his plans.

He could have kept this information secret and put it into effect without any notice like what Mr. Evan used to do before

Regards

I see major difference between Mr.Bowen and Evan, Mr.Bowen seems to be more moral obligated. At least he talks about what he is going to do in future and is informing applicant of his plans.

He could have kept this information secret and put it into effect without any notice like what Mr. Evan used to do before

Regards

I agree with you on this one Reza. Based on the release of the new points test we rushed to get our 176 in yesterday because we thought the points would change immediately. We were lodging this week anyway. At least Chris Bowen is giving over 6 months notice to change the points test. It seems much fairer all round.

Suzanne

Can i please ask what may seem a silly question to some.

We currently have lodged our State sponsorship with SA who have yet to release their SMP but my skill (successful TRA) is on their shortage list so i was able to apply. Now giving them the full 8 weeks they quote, it would mean my visa will be lodged around Christmas time and say the SMP is still not out i will be a cat 3 (i think, please correct me if not). Does this mean i will fall under the current points scheme?

Now lets say i dont receive a visa before July 2011, but have applied december 2010. will my application be judged on the points that i lodged the application, or does it mean i will now be assessed under the new points? Sorry i need to be re-assured, and i need answer in simple one cilabals....... And here was me, being told for the last 8 months, no, you dont need the IELTS, you're english and your trade doesnt ask for it. Depending upon your answer will see if i need to sit it as i dont think i can get 65 points..........OMG typical me, timing is gash, as per usual, why didnt we apply 12 months ago?

Guest jigarercivil

Friend you dont need to worried about this hassel.....As per your signature you have applied for SS on 1/11/10 ??? correct so might be 1/12/10 you will get your SS from SA.mine approved in 19 days:biggrin:..after that you can lodge your file for 176 category...so you dont need to worry about this new point system......

Rules apply june-july 2011 onwards......As per speed of cat2 CO allocation before june 2011 ...you will have visa....might be u r in downunder (aussie).....definatley you will get it before becuse you from low risk country....so dont worry:biggrin:

Can i please ask what may seem a silly question to some.

We currently have lodged our State sponsorship with SA who have yet to release their SMP but my skill (successful TRA) is on their shortage list so i was able to apply. Now giving them the full 8 weeks they quote, it would mean my visa will be lodged around Christmas time and say the SMP is still not out i will be a cat 3 (i think, please correct me if not). Does this mean i will fall under the current points scheme?

Now lets say i dont receive a visa before July 2011, but have applied december 2010. will my application be judged on the points that i lodged the application, or does it mean i will now be assessed under the new points? Sorry i need to be re-assured, and i need answer in simple one cilabals....... And here was me, being told for the last 8 months, no, you dont need the IELTS, you're english and your trade doesnt ask for it. Depending upon your answer will see if i need to sit it as i dont think i can get 65 points..........OMG typical me, timing is gash, as per usual, why didnt we apply 12 months ago?

Hi Gaz - the new points system will only apply to people who LODGE after July 1st. So as long as you submit your application before then - it will not relate to you. We are also applying for SA, just need to courier over documents - good luck to you! :)

Hi Gaz - the new points system will only apply to people who LODGE after July 1st. So as long as you submit your application before then - it will not relate to you. We are also applying for SA, just need to courier over documents - good luck to you! :)

But it must affect those already lodge because how will the process old applications against the new new applications useing the new points system, how will they merge them together, I have heard so many times when changes come in that it doesn't affect those already lodge yes you have lodged your visa but it affect how you get priororitized like me i was first told when i lodged that it would take 9 months to get a visa i was also told it would take 2 months when i first lodged application for state sponsor, 2 years since i lodged my visa and 11 months since i got state sponsor.

sorry for being negative Tania

Well they ****ed that up!!!

I already have my application in, so can really put forward what I think impartially.

I am an elec eng (Chartered), all the bells and whistles. now I only just scrape 70 points here (with state sponsorship).

So a tradie with a few years post experience and a bit of cash with him could well be over 32, therefore 25 points. Add 10 for IELTS 7.0 (using UK passport), 15 points (8+ years experience), 10 points (recognised apprenticeship) and 5 for the misses (assume that you have not moved heaven and earth to keep teacher misses at home with little one). Grand total is 65.

So your experienced tradie with a bit of survival cash cannot have a stay at home mum, or needs to learn a foreign language, or prove his standard of English, work in Oz for x years, get state sponsorship etc. Crap, not enough people qualified to that level need to go through this.

This points test is a thicko tool for trying to keep out non, Irish, Brit, Yank, Canadian etc. I can imagine the office conversation at DIAC now "so how do we whiten things up"!

"Easy, use a points test to keep out non English speaking potential immigrants".

"Are you sure"?

"Yeah what can go wrong"?

"Erm, we make it so hard no qualified people apply"?

"Nah, will never happen".

Personally I can see a few holes with this particular points system, what it is aimed to do and how it is trying to achieve it. Be surprised if it is not altered before implementation next year.

What do I know, I'm just an electrician.