New Points Test - Details Released 11 November

George Lombard

I'm attaching the Minister's press release and the points test to apply from July next year. By removing points for occupations and ascribing points for qualifications the points test will give relative advantages for degree based qualifications as against trades. Ironically these changes will also, by adopting a credentialist approach, spell the end of RPL based applications for a variety of occupations.

Also the introduction of additional points for a higher level of English might discriminate against many applicants.

More analysis to come.

Cheers,

George Lombard

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MIA has just provided the following initial analysis:

• Distinction between 40/50/60 point occupations abolished, those points removed from test
  • Age points adjusted to reflect productive working years rather than youth
  • Additional 10 point differential introduced for “Superior English” language ability (IELTS 8)
  • Additional points for extended periods of employment in Australia
  • Additional points for longer periods of professional experience generally
  • Considerable additional points for university graduates, particularly for applicants with PhDs
  • Relative advantages of trade and degree qualified occupations have been reversed
  • Regional nomination and family sponsorship points reduced
  • No indication of difference between independent and sponsored pass marks at this stage
  • Pass mark of 65

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest Jane1991

Just had a quick look ...

18-24 25 points

Australian Bachelor 15 points

IELTS 7 10 points

Australian Study 5 points

That falls short by ten points for a 65 pass-mark.

Remind me again why anyone will come to Australia to study

Guest tyasawa

Pretty similar tho with previous one.. without my IELTS I wouldn't have enough point (120)... with exception they now raised the bar to IELTS 8. Is it overall or each section? Going to be even more nightmare if it's overall.. ie.. my overall is 8 but my writing is 7.5

Now all students who will graduate on July 2011 would be stressing out trying to get 8 for IELTS...

Edit: just realised that there will be no extra point for Master Graduates :P

Pretty similar tho with previous one.. without my IELTS I wouldn't have enough point (120)... with exception they now raised the bar to IELTS 8. It is overall or each section? Going to be even more nightmare if it's overall.. ie.. my overall is 8 but my writing is 7.5

Wishful thinking mate. I am almost certain you would have to get 8's in all 4 sections.

Guest Jamie Smith

So, more professionals will go in through skilled independent, so the states will need to eventually move their SMP to include more of the trades and balance things up....

Pretty similar tho with previous one.. without my IELTS I wouldn't have enough point (120)... with exception they now raised the bar to IELTS 8. Is it overall or each section? Going to be even more nightmare if it's overall.. ie.. my overall is 8 but my writing is 7.5

Now all students who will graduate on July 2011 would be stressing out trying to get 8 for IELTS...

Edit: just realised that there will be no extra point for Master Graduates :P

It doesn't mater which way you look at this new points test one thing is very clear. It spells an end to OZ education sector (or should i call it business). No one in their right minds will come to study over here. You get more for your buck else where. Lets not forget , atm we only have half of the information available to us. I have very long list of questions about this new points test.

Guest Jane1991

Try telling that thing about IELTS 8 to loaded up Chinese and Indian students who can pick other destinations :-)

I have seen graduates struggle with 7 IELTS in Accounting ,... I wonder how they will deal with 8 ... its not hard to go from 7 to 8 but the 'uncertainty' would cause the OS student market to spin down the drain.

Try telling that to loaded up Chinese and Indians students who can pick other destinations :-)

I have seen graduates struggle with 7 IELTS in Accounting ,... I wonder how they will deal with 8 ... its not hard to go from 7 to 8 but the 'uncertainty' would cause the OS student market to spin down the drain.

That's pretty much what i said in my post. 100% agree. CANADA will be new destination for many now.

A quick analysis for myself prev vs. new:

Age 40-40: was 15, now 15

IELTS 7: was 25, now 10 (didn't bother to do better, but I don't think I'll have a problem to get 8 if needed)

1 of 2 year AU employment: 0 now, will be 5 by Jul next year

Overseas employment: was 10, now 15

Overseas degree: was 0, now 15

Community language: was 5, now 5

=======================

Total: was 115, now 65 (or 70 if redo IELTS)

So, all in all, it won't be bad if they do the assessment after 2011 against the new system. I will just need to provide them with 1 year AU employment evidence (which I still don't have) or redo IELTS.

Guest jigarercivil

my point is

age 30

overseas exp (5 year ) 10

bachelor degree 15

sponsorship 10

wow total 65...again qualify:jiggy: but no worry already applied

So, all in all, it won't be bad if they do the assessment after 2011 against the new system.

Well they are not.Anybody who is in pipeline is not effected by this..

How is this likely to fit in with the priority system? It's all very well saying they want more degree educated immigrants, but if they're all going to end up in cat 4 anyway, how is this going to change anything?

Some time back ..I had read somewhere that possibly an applicant with more points could get a better priority. Do not know if they will implement it .

mmm...70 points..... not bad!!

18-24 - 25 points

Australian Bachelor - 15 points

IELTS 7 - 10 points

Australian Study - 5 points

NAATI - 5 Points

Australian Work Exp in nominated occupation or closely related -

5 points

State Nomination - 5 points

mmm...70 points..... so whats the pass mark?? anyone??

18-24 - 25 points

Australian Bachelor - 15 points

IELTS 7 - 10 points

Australian Study - 5 points

NAATI - 5 Points

Australian Work Exp in nominated occupation or closely related -

5 points

State Nomination - 5 points

The FAQ's on Immi website states that the possible pass mark could be around 65

The FAQ's on Immi website states that the possible pass mark could be around 65

Thanks Sherin... I straight away jumped to the points section and did'nt bother to go through the first bit!!!

:cute:

That's pretty much what i said in my post. 100% agree. CANADA will be new destination for many now.

i totally agree with you. In canada, the ielts test is optional. for those who decide to take it for extra point, the requirement is an overall score of 7 with a minimum score of 7.5 in listening and 6.5 in writing. On a comparative basis, Australia is less competitive than Canada. The latest changes have marked the end of an already dying oz education sector.

Try telling that thing about IELTS 8 to loaded up Chinese and Indian students who can pick other destinations :-)

I've seen the published ielts scores on the publishing board of many universities in oz and can tell u that not even 1% of students get a score of 7 in each bands. Now that the bar is set to 8 i wonder why would anyone even bother to sign up to sit the test. :daydreaming:

you are right. tell a chinese he has to obtain a score of 8 is like asking him to clim mount everest. Migration rules must be tough but reasonable. Ielts Australia must be smiling for maintaining their monopolistic status.

It's pretty clear that this points test is squarely aimed at international students. A graduate with good English and aged 25-32 can sail through but cut back on the English skills and you need work experience. It's an undemanding pass mark for those from English speaking countries

Guest perfectstranger

The new points system does not give points for an Australian Masters degree..... it will be big blow for people like me who have just pursued a master's degree here and wanting to get residency...

Hi,

Is the new points system will be applicable to existing applicants? I am in Category 3 with SA Sponsorship waiting for SMP release. If my Occupation is in SMP I may be processed soon or else have to wait another 6 months!! I checked my points as per new system...

Category --------- Old System ----------New System

Occupation -----------60 ----------------------0

Age -------------------20 ---------------------25

English ---------------15 -----------------------0

Experience -----------10 ---------------------15

Qualification -----------0 ---------------------15

Partner skill ------------5 ----------------------5

State Sponsorship ----10 ---------------------5

Total ------------------120 -------------------65

As per above, I just cleared.... but I would like to know whether the new system is applicable to existing applicants or not...

Satish