Clarification with the 457

AnnB

Hi All

Just wanted to post a thread about questions I had about 457 visa:

I had a reply from my consultants based in Sydney in regards to travelling to Oz from UK before my 457 is ready and the queries I had with doing so...

To clarify some basic points in case others are thinking the same quoted by my consultant:

Can arrive in Oz on an ETA with return flight;

As the baggage allowance does not apply to persons with 457, it makes no odds to travel as a tourist;

ETA does not affect 457 in anyway;

You do not need to be offshore when 457 is ready, ie/ you can be in Oz when it's granted (onshore) even if it was lodged whilst you were offshore;

However, there is small chance the 457 may not be authorised thus will affect chances of staying;

I am going to research whether the return flight can be cashed in if it is not needed!

Will be open to additional comments if anyone has other thoughts on this.

Thanks everyone..

Ann x:jiggy:

Ok, What if I get flight out to NZ as my proof of return? Won't aussie customs question what happens from then? Will it not cause more questions as to what I am doing? It is cheaper to do this though than get a flight all the way back to the UK when I probably won't even be needing it.

I found out you can't cash in unused flights:(

x

Australian immigration are just worried about you leaving australia, what you do in NZ is NZ's problem...

even if they think you're going to re-enter australia in the future, they're only concerned with this particular visit, your next visit will be dealt with when you next arrive.

Archived