Breaking Lease As Going Home...What Will Happen?

Guest GillianM

Guest GillianM

Hi, we are moving back home on 18th January and have a 12 month lease in Berwick. Will i let the estate agents know A.S.A.P or just move without telling them? What will or can they do? will we loose our bond and have to pay 3.5% of annual rent to them. Don't know anyone who can take over lease unless someone ready to come over sees this and wants to take a 3 bedroom home on @ $320 a week. I would really like to let them know but don't want to be paying them more money.

Gillian

Hi, we are moving back home on 18th January and have a 12 month lease in Berwick. Will i let the estate agents know A.S.A.P or just move without telling them? What will or can they do? will we loose our bond and have to pay 3.5% of annual rent to them. Don't know anyone who can take over lease unless someone ready to come over sees this and wants to take a 3 bedroom home on @ $320 a week. I would really like to let them know but don't want to be paying them more money.

Gillian

i would imagine it would be in ur best interests to tell them asap ...that way they have plenty of time to find new tenants before u leave ....as far as im aware they can make u keep paying rent on the property until they find someone else and can even charge u for the cost of readvertising ....if u decide just to pack up sticks and go then u will probably loose ur bond as they will need to recoup the money from somewhere ....just depends how ur conscience works as to what u decide ...lol

mrs keily

I agree with Keily,, tell your agent ASAP,, the more notice they have the more chance of re-letting it. You can also advertise lease break properties on here yourself.

Unfortunately it will cost you one way or another but the last thing i would do is leave and not say anything ,,doing this would more than likely put you on the rental blacklist and IF you ever wanted to return you would struggle renting again.

Good Luck i hope you find someone.

Cal x

Guest iwazawhingingpom

We are breaking our lease early by 3 months as going back to UK near chritmas-

We have a 2 bed apartment at $470 per week, we told the agents stating that were moving back home & feel free to show prospective tenants around (just give us 24 hr notice)

Had viewing Saturday- people moving in few days before we fly out- just had to pay extra weeks rent and $15 for letting fee!

Always best to be upfront i think as they can charge you full amount untill lease ends or they find another tenant, then if they think you have been misleading they can charge you left right and centre for things if you have not been round the property before you leave with the detailed list you filled in on signing lease on condition of each room in the home, plus you have to hand in all keys/ fobs or they charge for them, plus steam cleaning carpets receipt, cut grass etc..

Also means if you ever need proof of past tenancy you can ask without worry..

Hope it all works out for you

Deb :chatterbox: