Converting driving license

twinkletoes35

Could anyone advise me how easy is to convert your uk license to a Queensland one and what are the costs involved?

Also my oh is from Northern Ireland, he has a UK photocard license but it is often commented on when he has had to produce here, anyone know if that would cause any problems over in OZ?

Thanks as always

TT xx

Hi we did ours the other day. Fill in the form from Queensland Transport website take it with your licence, passport and something with your address on to the Queensland Transport office (we went to the one at Chermside) they just process it and take your photo done in about 20 mins. You can get a 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 year licence.

Lorraine

• 2 weeks later...
Do you need to exchange it if you're on a 457 visa? I would rather hold on to my UK licence for as long as possible.

Hi Rob

As I understand it, you wouldn't need to exchange your license as you're not on a permenant visa. Your authority to drive in Queensland on your foreign driver licence would be withdrawn if you met any of the following conditions:

• become medically unfit to drive safely

• are an Australian citizen and you have been residing in Queensland for three months

• are not an Australian citizen, but before you took up residence in Queensland you were given a resident visa and you have now been residing in Queensland for three months

• are not an Australian citizen, but after you took up residence in Queensland you were given a resident visa and you have now been residing in Queensland for three months since getting the visa.

Note: A resident visa means a permanent visa or a special category visa under the Migration Act 1958 (Commonwealth). These visas allow a person to stay indefinitely in Australia. Other visas, for example a temporary, business or guardian visa, that allows a person to stay in Australia for a limited time, or until a certain event happens or while they have a special status, is not a resident visa.

Do you need to exchange it if you're on a 457 visa? I would rather hold on to my UK licence for as long as possible.

You get to keep your british license, my husband and I changed ours 3 weeks ago and we weren't asked to surrender our british ones.

We got our VIC ones done this week. We have irish license's and we just needed our 100points of ID and we could get a 3 or 10 year one for VIC. and they said we could keep our irish ones for when we go back on holidays etc.

Archived