Is there any irish thread???

Guest sinead

Have you made the big move now? I know you were leaving in November

hey,

yeah, we just arrived this week. we are up to our eyes trying to get set up. and thats after a hectic few weeks clearing out the house in ireland and packing for the move........I could do with some sleep :laugh:

I forget, are you over here yet??

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks cazmay- tbh It all feels a bit surreal at the mo! It will be my husbands skill that gets us in (mechanical engineer) and the job is with the same company that he works for here in Ireland But theyre gutted to be loosing him :-(

We re also making the move with children (will then be 13, 10 and almost 2)

we only moved to ireland 6 years ago so where or where did all the JUNK come from !!!lol:biglaugh:

we have 2 worries- one that the house will go for a 'song' and 2 that it wont sell at all- so please please let it be that it goes for a song!!!!!

although I would love to come and help you de junk (lol) trust me with three kids i have enough de junking to do myself!!

cant wait till the 457's come through - Maybe then it will hit home that we're off to where the grass is greener (or not as the case may be!)

what stage in the move are you at then cazmayo???

hi jemma,

where are you guys moving to?

Hi Gemma,

We are waiting for WA SMP! we held off because cabinetmaker was taken off the main SOL we need SS, and if were not on the SMP it will take years! Hubby does have a friend who he worked with in Perth years ago who may be able to sponsor on a 457. We could go out on the 457 to get out of here!!! and then have the 176 just running and then we wouldnt care how long it took.

Coyne Family - 2 weeks processing for a 457!!!!! OMG really!!!! Better get clearing this house out. I have 3 little monsters who seem to accumulate lots of crap. Ive said before Santa comes, we need to make space anyhow.

That said, Im not good myself at throwing away, but needs must.

That is a nightmare re trying to sell and getting offering -60,000 and then the want your shagging furniture - CHEEK!! Hearing that I think we will be renting too. After the news in the last week, whose going to be buying. Will just put it on interest only for a few years and rent. Though will have to find the money to move over somewhere else!

Though not to bad if you had a job to go to. We also have friends that have offered us a place to stay initially, that saves on a holiday let.

Last out (Ireland) turn the lights off!

Good luck everyone

Caroline

Guest susanli

Hi Paddy,

The quote was 1060 for 200 cubic ft

I am not moving everything as i am renting my house , just moving boxes of personal stuff, my bicycle, 40" tv and some small furniture , add 3.5 % insurance.

I got a quote for the same amount for 2980 !! from another company

hope this helps

S

Hi everyone,

Just found ye, I knew id find the irish some where. We are also looking at shipping quotes to perth and that looks quite good susan could you pm me the company please. Coyne family that seems unreal, thats like super fast wish they could hurry ours a little!!

Hi Caz hows things with you and you too susie

Guest SusieOR
Hi everyone,

Just found ye, I knew id find the irish some where. We are also looking at shipping quotes to perth and that looks quite good susan could you pm me the company please. Coyne family that seems unreal, thats like super fast wish they could hurry ours a little!!

Hi Caz hows things with you and you too susie

Hey Marie,

All good... Still patiently waiting... LOL...

Sx

hey,

yeah, we just arrived this week. we are up to our eyes trying to get set up. and thats after a hectic few weeks clearing out the house in ireland and packing for the move........I could do with some sleep :laugh:

I forget, are you over here yet??

Ah, you must be delighted to be there!

I won't be out until early 2012. We aren't eligible for the spouse visa until the middle of next year and then we have to wait out the processing time. But we have his sister's wedding at the end of next year to look forward to. We need something to smile about!

We put our house on the market 3 weeks ago and so far have had 1 offer €60,000 below the asking price, needless to say i told them were to go. To add insult to injury a day later they asked our estate agent if we would leave all our furniture as well, all i could do was laugh the cheek.

That is unbelievable! Some people are so brazen

Hi Jemma,

Our situation is nearly the same as yours, we're hopefully going on a 457 (that's if the employer gets their finger out) and have 3 children Rachel 11, Jessica,9 and Gavin 4.

We're hopefully heading to NSW sometime after Christmas.

We put our house on the market 3 weeks ago and so far have had 1 offer €60,000 below the asking price, needless to say i told them were to go. To add insult to injury a day later they asked our estate agent if we would leave all our furniture as well, all i could do was laugh the cheek.

With the events of the last few days I don't think we will sell at all, we will probably end up renting it out.

The 457 visa's are coming through very quickly at the moment, I've seen people get them in less than 2 weeks.

Congratulations on the job offer, I hope it all goes well and the house sells quickley.

Best of luck,

Maria.

Unfortunately it's a buyers market at the moment if you can find one.

• 2 weeks later...
Woohoo! My 457 visa was granted this morning! Going to Brisbane baby!!

And last Tuesday we got tickets to two of Ireland's games in the Rugby World Cup!

Tuesday is fast becoming my favourite day of the week :)

Congratulations delighted for you well done!!

It will be great to get away from all this doom and gloom.

Would you mind sharing your timeline our employer is waiting to be approved its seems to be taking a long time.

Maria.

Thanks, Maria, I'm delighted!

My employer was already a registered sponsor (if that's the correct term?) so step one was done. The Employer Nomination Application went in on 4th Nov and my application went in on 17th Nov before being granted today. My employer did have experience of the process so I'm sure that sped everything up a fair bit.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I thought things were bad in the uk, its even worse in Ireland, its been on sky news that 13.5% of the population is out of work, it sounds a nightmare, thats nearly 3 times more than Australia, the Irish government announced the austerity measures and it sounds nearly as bad as what we are going to suffer here in the uk, pay freezes, pensions attacked and workers rights eroded, the only difference i can see is that our kids are having their uni fees trebled and its gonna cost us an extra £40,000 on top of what it originally was, we promised the kids we would pay for it, its all a nightmare thats going to last for years and don't get me started over house prices.

Jim - it is absolutely awful here. And the outlook is completely bleak. It is so sad to see families who have worked hard all their lives and lead modest lives all of a sudden struggling to buy groceries, let alone pay the mortgage. I have a friend who is a single mother and she can't afford to buy 'good' meat anymore. Mince and sausages from here on in.

OH and I are very fortunate, we are both in full time jobs which we have held for more than 2 years and are both relatively secure. We have no mortgage and no major debt. The lessons we are both learning living through this recession will do us well for the rest of our lives.

I haven't read about today's budget yet - I'll wait until tomorrow when the people with the bigger brains have processed it all and written it down in a way that I can understand!

Thanks everyone!

Yeah it's kind of bittersweet to get the visa on the same day as hearing the horrendous budget. I actually left Ireland a few years ago partly because the main party in government (Fianna Fail) was re-elected despite being clearly corrupt. I couldn't believe that people re-elected them. There is systemic problems with Ireland's electoral system so if something good comes out of all this I hope it is reform of that system, which will hopefully lead to less of the 'you scratch my back I'll scratch yours'-type politics.

Read the following quote in the paper this morning:

"Travel tax reduced from €10 to €3 in the budget: now it's even cheaper to emigrate from Ireland"

Made me laugh! :D

Lads,

Just introducing myself. I'm an Aussie, married to a girl from Cork like. We have 2 little girls. We live in Dublin, and are probably moving to Brisbane in March/April next year. So if anyone is shipping stuff around that time, perhaps we can do a groupage?

Wife's sister has applied for her 175 visa as well, but only 3 months ago, so it could be another 18 months before she gets it.

Cheers...

Makes you think that they want us to leave, they'll be bringing back the 10 pound tickets next. LOL

I wish! :biglaugh:

Archived