Is there any irish thread???

Guest sinead

Guest upthedubs

I am new to this site but really need some advice. My OH is a Diesel Fitter and we have PR visas. We did a recci 3 years ago to Sunshine Coast and to Perth. The thing is I didn't really warm to Perth, (we stayed in Hillarys) but all the employment opportunities seem to be in WA. It was nice, don't get me wrong, it was June...nice weather, nice facilities but there just seemed to be a bit of anti social behaviour, joy riding, vandelism etc. It was just off putting and yes I do know this is everywhere but I read here that so many people love Perth so maybe I just got the wrong impression.

I am more than willing to give Perth another go as employment opportunities are of the upmost importance but I have no idea where to start looking for a nice location to settle. We are from Ireland, small village, small school, 2 kids aged 10 and 12 and I would like a really nice school (bullying is a worry) and good activities for them locally.

I am so confused at the moment, we are moving in January but have not confirmed the flights yet as I am completely torn.

All advice is welcome.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest murph33
Lol....penthouse is fantastic but we have to move out and back to kilkenny this weekend,jus gonna be tough cos hubby works in dublin,he will have a lot of driving to do lol...finally booked our flights yesturday and we offically fly on thurs 13th oct and decided not to do hong-kong but to fly straight to sydney and have a week there wit really good friends of mine before we fly to our new home in Adelaide:biggrin::biggrin:.....somebody asked about shipping companies,we used AMC removals who were fantastic,if it moved it was wrapped lol...very professinal and all the lads (5 in total) couldn have been nicer or taken better care of our belongings,we paid 5,290 for a 20 ft container,not cheap but its our entire home sent over and wat wit such a huge move i wanted everything we owned wit us to make our move a little easier :smile:....its been a stressfull 7 mths since we started the whole process,we did it all ourselves and glad we did cos it was worth every headache and every fight we had...now all we have to get over is the very tearful..emotional...good-byes to all our family:sad:

Hi,

My oh and 3 kids arrived in Adelaide last Saturday the 8th October, its a lovely place, we are staying in West lakes at the moment. When you get settled let us know if you would like to meet up, we are from Carlow

Marie & Tony

Guest allieanddermo
hey dermo can i ask did you price around for shippers other than careline ,we got a price of them and they are buy for the most expensive:unsure:

Sorry for delay in answering your question

Have been busy here settling in etc.

Yes we did get other quotes and careline were cheapest....

but we are still sitting here waiting on our stuff

they said 10 weeks .....we are way past that now

they dont answer my emails personally , but send notices of terms and conditions...

Hope you didnt go with them in the end.....

:biggrin:

• 1 month later...
Guest celticboy39

Hi everyone...well here in Adelaide 6 weeks now and settling in ok..hubby still looking for work so its getting a bit stressful now with him been bored at home.There are lots of jobs but not in my hubbys line of work so he is finding it a bit tough,hes applied for loads so fingers crossed he will get something soon!! We have met some other irish families here and meet regularly and they r a life saver,its good to talk to ppl that have gone thru de huge move and that also feel ur pain of de dreaded home-sickness...cos wen it hits it hits hard...and wat wit xmas coming up it will be a tough first one away from home. We got a lovely rented house and r also enjoying the weather,daughter started in local playschool and luvs it and spend weekends on de beach!! After hearing yesturdays budget back home i have no doubt in my mind that we done the right thing and dont think we will be going home for a long time!

• 2 months later...
Guest Cookie85

Hello

We are a family of 4 (6 actually cos our bestest friends are coming too :):) moving to Adelaide this May 2012. It's taken well over 2 years to get to this stage and, from my part, not without the help of pomsinoz -- as a silent outsider looking in. It's been a huge rollercoaster ride for us, with the highs and the lows and that massive feeling of achievement when getting off.... super all round!! In my first post I just want to know if this thread is still up and running as I know there were people on here who have made the move to SA and I am so wanting to know how they are getting on in their new life in the promised land and also to pick their brains about shipping, short terms rentals, schools..but to name a few..I do hope this thread will continue as it is a lifeline of support for some of us.

:unsure::unsure:

Guest Cookie85
Hello

We are a family of 4 (6 actually cos our bestest friends are coming too :):) moving to Adelaide this May 2012. It's taken well over 2 years to get to this stage and, from my part, not without the help of pomsinoz -- as a silent outsider looking in. It's been a huge rollercoaster ride for us, with the highs and the lows and that massive feeling of achievement when getting off.... super all round!! In my first post I just want to know if this thread is still up and running as I know there were people on here who have made the move to SA and I am so wanting to know how they are getting on in their new life in the promised land and also to pick their brains about shipping, short terms rentals, schools..but to name a few..I do hope this thread will continue as it is a lifeline of support for some of us.

:unsure::unsure:

support for some of us.

Should have said "For the majority of us" :smile:

Hi there Cookie 85.... There is another thread on here,think its any iriish heading to perth? It is more used and up to date, if u post on there u will get more feedback, I think people that have made the move drop off the site as they are too busy restarting in Aus.... Have a look on there, also try the state you've moved too on the forum, Perth, Adelaide etc........ Well done you have made the move, hope yous get work soon,itl be like waiting on a bus, nothing then 3 jobs at once! Good luck........ Gerard.

Guest Cookie85

Thanks very much Gerard, have found pomsinadelaide forum also as that's where we are moving to so will post my many questions there!! Am sure we'll be the same when we get there as we aim to hit the ground running.

:biggrin:

Hi there Cookie 85.... There is another thread on here,think its any iriish heading to perth? It is more used and up to date, if u post on there u will get more feedback, I think people that have made the move drop off the site as they are too busy restarting in Aus.... Have a look on there, also try the state you've moved too on the forum, Perth, Adelaide etc........ Well done you have made the move, hope yous get work soon,itl be like waiting on a bus, nothing then 3 jobs at once! Good luck........ Gerard.

Archived