Is there any irish thread???

Guest sinead

Hi all, only new to this forum, was wondering if there was any specific threads for people moving to OZ from Ireland?? ive searched and searched but cant seem to find anything?? Not that i only want to speak to Irish or that, just to see what companies the Irish used and our processing times and Doctor and Garda checks?? sorry in advance if ive posted this in the wrong section.....

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sinead!

I haven't come across an exclusively Irish Thread. My OH is Irish (I'm the Aussie) and I know there are a few Irish couples on here. We haven't made the big move yet so I can't advise you with shipping etc, but I know there will be people on here who can. From what I understand the processing time is the same as the UK because we all apply through Australia House in the UK.

When are you heading over? Where are you heading to?

Hi Sinead,

I'm a fellow Dub, i think an Irish thread would be worthwhile, the majority of information I've found on here is relevant enough but there are some variations obviously! :D There is irishozforum.com but it doesn't seem to be frequented as often as PIO and the information and advice on it isn't as useful as what i've found here!

Caz :)

Thanks for gettin back to me! Yeah I think I came across that Irish forum before, wasn't great! I'm hopin to move before next christamas.. We're heading (home for me) to Sydney! Have a 4yr old and 18month old, so wanna go while there still young.. Where you headed yourself? Are use ozzies yourself? I miss it sooooo much! The only thing keepin me here is the bloody house! Stupid recession! Lol!

I signed up to it about a week ago and i'm still waiting for a moderator allow me access! what a joke! :P

I'm Irish, i have brothers in Adelaide and went over on a year out in 07/08 and fell in love with the place!

There's no work for Architect's here and I was offered a really good job over there so i'm heading back... im going on a 457 visa which is for 4 years and my OH is going on a working holiday hoping to get sponsored or we'll add him to my 457 down the road. We're undecided if we'll stay permanently or not, we'll see how we go!

We're hoping to go early 2011 but visas still have to be granted so it's a bit up in the air but we've no house to sell so we're off as soon as we can!

Caz

Thanks for gettin back to me! Yeah I think I came across that Irish forum before, wasn't great! I'm hopin to move before next christamas.. We're heading (home for me) to Sydney! Have a 4yr old and 18month old, so wanna go while there still young.. Where you headed yourself? Are use ozzies yourself? I miss it sooooo much! The only thing keepin me here is the bloody house! Stupid recession! Lol!

Is your OH Irish then? Which Visa are you applying for?

We will head to my home in Melbourne in early 2012. I love Ireland, but have always known I wanted to settle in Oz.

It's strange trying to explain the recession to my friends back home. They can't imagine how bad it is. I'm so lucky that neither my partner or myself have a house or any major debt and are both in secure jobs. Can you look at renting the house out for a few years?

Yeah my hubby is Irish, im Ozzie and ive sorted the kids out with ozzie citizenship and passports so just waiting on him!!! (or i could just leave him behind) LOL!!! My sisters live in sydney and they just dont grasp the recession either!!! so frustrating for!! yeah we've decided to rent the house, probly at a loss though!! but to be honest i couldnt care less!! they can reposess it if they like!!! they'd be doing me a favour!!! I've never really settled in Ireland, and its gotten to the stage where i contantly feel home sick.. I lose sleep over it and its not worth it... OZ is the land of oppurunity and more importantly, (SUNSHINE).. And its not just about me any more, i want the best for my kids and they just cant get that here.... Please god, ill be outta here before September 2011, coz i dont wanna enrol my daughter in her first day of school and then uproot her to the other side of the world, a few months later.... Oh and he's applying for the partner visa (47SP i think its called) and im filling in the sponsor 40SP form.. Which VISA are you going for yourself???

Hi all, only new to this forum, was wondering if there was any specific threads for people moving to OZ from Ireland?? ive searched and searched but cant seem to find anything?? Not that i only want to speak to Irish or that, just to see what companies the Irish used and our processing times and Doctor and Garda checks?? sorry in advance if ive posted this in the wrong section.....

Hi Sinead,

Im from Dublin too, moving to Melbourne in a few weeks. As the others have said, the irishozforum is not used much, I check it from time to time but not a lot of new posts.

For most questions, there are lots of people on here who are well up to speed with the whole visa process and Im sure they will be able to help but If you have any questions specific to Ireland that you need to ask, you can send me a message and Ill help if I can.

Best of luck,

Louise.

Yeah my hubby is Irish, im Ozzie and ive sorted the kids out with ozzie citizenship and passports so just waiting on him!!! (or i could just leave him behind) LOL!!! My sisters live in sydney and they just dont grasp the recession either!!! so frustrating for!! yeah we've decided to rent the house, probly at a loss though!! but to be honest i couldnt care less!! they can reposess it if they like!!! they'd be doing me a favour!!! I've never really settled in Ireland, and its gotten to the stage where i contantly feel home sick.. I lose sleep over it and its not worth it... OZ is the land of oppurunity and more importantly, (SUNSHINE).. And its not just about me any more, i want the best for my kids and they just cant get that here.... Please god, ill be outta here before September 2011, coz i dont wanna enrol my daughter in her first day of school and then uproot her to the other side of the world, a few months later.... Oh and he's applying for the partner visa (47SP i think its called) and im filling in the sponsor 40SP form.. Which VISA are you going for yourself???

We will be applying for the same visa. I moved in with him in April this year so we will apply in the middle of next year. So with current processing times we would be looking to move over in early 2012. I just hope the processing times don't keep going up!

My sister is getting married back home in June next year so we will have a short trip over then. And then OH's sister is getting married next December. At least we have a few things to look forward to next year!

When did you apply?

Hi Sinead,

Im from Dublin too, moving to Melbourne in a few weeks. As the others have said, the irishozforum is not used much, I check it from time to time but not a lot of new posts.

For most questions, there are lots of people on here who are well up to speed with the whole visa process and Im sure they will be able to help but If you have any questions specific to Ireland that you need to ask, you can send me a message and Ill help if I can.

Best of luck,

Louise.

whereabouts in Melbourne are you headed?

Hi we're from Dublin also, hoping to head out to Coffs Harbour early 2011, OH has an employer sponsorship pending....

We applied for a 176 back in may so hoping that will come through mid 2011 as the employer sponsorship is only on a temporary visa.

Oh has lots of relations in Sydney, i cant wait to get out of this country its just gone to the dogs.

We just put our house on the market we have a viewing today so fingers and toes crossed it goes well.

Has anyone had a shipping quotes yet ? I had quotes from 2 companies so far and i cant believe how expensive they are.

Nice to talk to you all.

Maria.

Hi all,

Irish and also wanting to move to Oz, preferably Perth in 2011!!!

We lived there 10 yrs ago, and I had to be dragged back (well visa expired, sponsor retired) and I just got on with it. A couple of years ago I got sick which really focuses your mind, and I decided that I didnt want to live in Ireland anymore. We have done alot of research, and there have been lots of delays, business, new baby etc. Anyway, we are waiting on WA SMP to decide how to proceed.

I am on here several times a day checking for the WA SMP!!! I also go on irishozforum, its not very busy, though I do make contact with a few girls in Perth there. Pomsinoz is where I have got the bulk of my research!!!! fantastic!

We have a house to sell, and wavering on renting!! especially as the exchange rate is crap. All up in the air at the min.

cheers cazmayo

Perthbound!!!!! hopefully

Hi we're from Dublin also, hoping to head out to Coffs Harbour early 2011, OH has an employer sponsorship pending....

We applied for a 176 back in may so hoping that will come through mid 2011 as the employer sponsorship is only on a temporary visa.

Oh has lots of relations in Sydney, i cant wait to get out of this country its just gone to the dogs.

We just put our house on the market we have a viewing today so fingers and toes crossed it goes well.

Has anyone had a shipping quotes yet ? I had quotes from 2 companies so far and i cant believe how expensive they are.

Nice to talk to you all.

Maria.

Hi Maria,

I can't imagine having to move a whole house worth of stuff! OH and myself are renting here so most of what we take will be clothes. And of course his beloved Mercedes... I know he has been looking at what is involved in shipping that over. I don't think it matters how much it costs - it will be worth it to him!

Nice to talk to you all.

Maria.

Hey Maria,

we have shipped our stuff over already. we basically looked at the cost of shipping versus cost of replacing the things we wanted to ship. it worked out way cheaper to bring the stuff, rather than sell it for feck all or give it away here and then have to buy new in Oz.

so our stuff is currently sitting in a container god knows where.:wacko:

fingers crossed it doesnt take forever to get there.

Louise.

hey shoeover,

we just have some short term accom sorted,kinda in south east suburbs. not sure where we will be living longer term, depends on where we get work etc.

So looks like we're all form Dublin!!!! LOL!! Ive had quotes for about 3-4k for shipping!! still undecided as to what to ring or even what to bring at all!!! I know i am never coming back to Ireland thogh!! LOL!!! Ive done my time here, and its time to go home!!! Anyone have any ideas of Medical fees or Garda checks? Ive to get cracking on me forms, nearly there!! just gathering bits and bobs to send in!!! Doing it all ourselves, so a bit nervous!! Hopefully its straight forward enough!!!

Wel it looks like we do a little Irish thread after all that now!! Look forward to chatting to you all more!!!

So looks like we're all form Dublin!!!! LOL!! Ive had quotes for about 3-4k for shipping!! still undecided as to what to ring or even what to bring at all!!! I know i am never coming back to Ireland thogh!! LOL!!! Ive done my time here, and its time to go home!!! Anyone have any ideas of Medical fees or Garda checks? Ive to get cracking on me forms, nearly there!! just gathering bits and bobs to send in!!! Doing it all ourselves, so a bit nervous!! Hopefully its straight forward enough!!!

Wel it looks like we do a little Irish thread after all that now!! Look forward to chatting to you all more!!!

Sinead,

We got quotes for whole house contents and partial contents.

is that 3-4K for whole house contents?if it is - thats cheaper than the quote we were getting for the whole house.

the garda check is grand - you need to go to your local garda station and ask them to do the check on all people applying as part of the visa.they said it would take 2-3 weeks, i think ours was only 9-10 days.

Medicals were grand too except you may have to wait a while on appointments, they can be expensive too. I think the chest xray cost us something like €150 each. total for doc&xray was a couple of hundred each :huh:

OH arranged it so i cant remember exactly the cost.

Chat soon,

Louise.

3-4K For a whole house is really good (if that's whole house) i was quoted 5500 for a 20ft from one company and wait for it.......:goofy:€9045 for a 40ft from another, that company seems to think we will need it unless we can cut down on what we are bringing.

Who did you use Louise ?

Thought about bringing the car i really don't know what to do might try and sell it and see how it goes, not to attached to it so not too worried.

Oh boys and their cars, well its a good car and will last so well worth bringing.

Well done Sinead for starting this thread look,s like its going to be a good one.

Maria.

OMG!! the prices really do vary!!!:frown:!! They've some cheek!! i got 3-4k for my whole house, baring in mind its only a 2 bed!! basically its a king bed, 2 singles, a cot, a 3 seater, a 2 seater, 2 TV's, TOYS TOYS TOYS!!! trampoline, outdoor toys, did i mention toys?? LOL!!! dining table and chairs, fridge, washing machine, COMPUTER, and usual householdy stuff!!! i could probly get away with sharing one... so i wanna work how much exactly i am bringing.. No way in hell will i sell this house at a profit so gonna have to rent it, therefore have it partially furnished.. Not leaving ny of my good stuff though!! a trip to ikea and penneys should sort that out!!! LOL!!!

Im lucky i only need to get one garda check, 1 medical and all that stuff for the hubby!! the rest of us are sorted!!!

Ive never really been on forums before, so i dont know how you are all replying directly and including previous messages! Sorry if im not answering directly!! im sure ill learn anlong the way...

And yeah, i hope this thread does turn out to be good!! its just what we needed!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Guest famousfive

Good morning all,nice to see an Irish thread up and running.I am from Galway,my OH is an aussie and we have 3 girls.We have been to oz a few times before,here in Coffs for nearly 2yrs now but heading back next year hopefully.Hope you all get your visas sorted without too much delay and that your move goes well.If I can be any help just let me know.

Good morning all,nice to see an Irish thread up and running.I am from Galway,my OH is an aussie and we have 3 girls.We have been to oz a few times before,here in Coffs for nearly 2yrs now but heading back next year hopefully.Hope you all get your visas sorted without too much delay and that your move goes well.If I can be any help just let me know.

Coffs as in Coffs Harbour? What on earth washed up on your beach there yesterday?!

Guest famousfive

God only knows,the photos were taken 4mths ago and only surfaced now,the guy who took the photo did not think to report it or make sure it did not was out to sea again[which it did]so we will never know.They think maybe monkey........of the stuffed variety by the sounds of this far fetched story.

Guest jemmajol

Hi all, were new to this and not sure where we fit in :eek:

Originally from Birmingham UK, been in Ireland for 6 years but hoping to be in Melbs by april/may 2011. We have 3 boys, 12 , 9 and 17 months ,so have lots to sort out and consider!

its great to have this Irish thread as hopefully we can share links and recommendations for shipping etc.

Morning everyone!!! Not a lot to report, just thought id pop back in and say hi!! Have a chit chat!! do any of you want everything done yesterday?? Me and the h ubby bickering alo lately... we both wanna go but im just sooooooooooo impatient!!! Nearly feel like going over with the kids meself and let him come over on his own!! might kick his backside into gear a bit quicker!! :laugh:LOL!! Actually just quick question, i havent changed my name on my irish or ozzie passport yet since we got married.. its changed on bank a/c's and licence and all that but never bothered with the passport!! should i do this before i send off the application... (which feels like will never be ready)!!

Hope your all keeping well...

'afternoon all, just saying hi. Given my username I kind of felt obliged to post in this thread! Although I'm actually living in Plymouth now. Moved to UK in 2006.

Going over on a 457 (not granted yet but progressing nicely) in Feb with my Aussie girlfriend. We'll apply for the onshore partner visa when we get there too, as it looks like an easier route to permanent residency and seems like it will be easier in terms of getting loans etc than a 457.

Sinead, I'm also itching to get out there now! Although there is so much to get done between now and then that moving any earlier would be a nightmare! No idea on the passport issue I'm afraid.