Hoping to apply for a spouse visa in new year

Jonleahy

Hi Folks

Firstly this is my first time posting anything on any forum so I hope I'm doing it right apolgiises if it's wrong or in the wron place.

I am hoping to apply for a spouse visa in the new year. My wife is Australian and we have two kids together who are both Australian citizens.

I downloaded the application form and it seems very complicated so I was wondering is it worth going through one of the many migration agents that is out there, if so can some one recomend a good one that doesn't cost the earth, or is it worth having a go at the application myself, It's worrying that if it is rejected you don't get a refund.

I read about front loading the application how would I go about doing that?

Can my own GP do the medical? I take it I write to my local policing board and ask for a police clearence similar to that required for working with children?

Sorry for the long post quite a few questions.

Thanks

Jonathan

Guest smartyworld

Hey,

I filled in my own form and took it down to the AU embassy for validation (I was applying from UK) and then submission. They assigned a specific person to assist your application and in my experience were very helpful, letting me know areas where they would like more info and giving me time to provide it. I was slightly concerned about the 'you wont get your money back' statement too but thought that as my situation couldn't have been more straight forward, could see no possible reason they might not accept my application once I'd communicated the true facts of the case and that I am competent enough to be able to fill in a form it would just be an open and shut case so ought to be able to do it myself. An employer assigned me an agent which I used for a previous aussie visa (employer sponsored one) some years back and found the whole process quite tedious - I was partly managing the agent as well as the applicaiton myself and was just glad I wasn't paying these people for their services out of my own pocket.

I don't know your situation exactly but would suggest if you can't see any reason why you might need to be clever/concealing in your application or there might be valid reason for not accepting you then I'd suggest doing it yourself. An aussie wife and 2 aussie children who want to live in australia and who need supporting through life by their father seems like a good enough reason to me. If you don't get it on a technicality at least you'll get your money back selling your story to "A Current Affair".

Hi Folks

Firstly this is my first time posting anything on any forum so I hope I'm doing it right apolgiises if it's wrong or in the wron place.

I am hoping to apply for a spouse visa in the new year. My wife is Australian and we have two kids together who are both Australian citizens.

I downloaded the application form and it seems very complicated so I was wondering is it worth going through one of the many migration agents that is out there, if so can some one recomend a good one that doesn't cost the earth, or is it worth having a go at the application myself, It's worrying that if it is rejected you don't get a refund.

I read about front loading the application how would I go about doing that?

Can my own GP do the medical? I take it I write to my local policing board and ask for a police clearence similar to that required for working with children?

Sorry for the long post quite a few questions.

Thanks

Jonathan

hi there i am living in australia now been here about three years i came in on a spouse visa my partner is austrlian we have three kids one born in the uk and the twins born here it was very easy forms were a bit long but very straight forward they tell you were to go for medicals which you pay extra for if you can provide 5 years you have no problems. i hope this helps nikki

Guest RobynAtPresentInLondon

The form is LONG and so is the one for the Australian spouse but we have done it without an agent. The present processing time is 5-6 months in London (we are waiting) so do it sooner rather than later! The police check isn't a CRB check like the one for working with kids though but is a special one with a special form available here: ACPO: Police Certificates We sent the CRB one in and it was wrong!

I have found the trickiest thing to be the financial documents that they want in joint names as we have no joint bank accounts. Maybe a migration agent would have helped but I think the best advice would have been to get joint bank accounts 2 years ago. Oh hindsight is so clear!

Id not front load now as the wait is so long (5-6 months)and you have til your meds or ploice check run out to get out there by, so it can leave you tight for time. I applied myself and it was dead easy, the forms take a bit of filling in, we started collecting evidence as soon as we decided to get married and everything that came in addressed to us both went in a box, i sent 2.5 kg of paperwork. Medicals have to be done by a panel doc, look on the website for the list, these include, bloods, urine, eye test, full physical and chest xray, takes couple of hours and they are all lovely. I had no issues at all with any of the process, my visa stamp went in my passport weds and im good to go, honestly its so easy to apply, just downlaod the booklet and follow the forms to the word, theres even a checklist on the application form at the end so you can tick off everything you need, simples :)

Guest rache&matt

Hi Hels,

Im going for my medical tomorrow, in Birmingham.

When you say full medical, what am I to expect?

Rache

Id not front load now as the wait is so long (5-6 months)and you have til your meds or ploice check run out to get out there by, so it can leave you tight for time. I applied myself and it was dead easy, the forms take a bit of filling in, we started collecting evidence as soon as we decided to get married and everything that came in addressed to us both went in a box, i sent 2.5 kg of paperwork. Medicals have to be done by a panel doc, look on the website for the list, these include, bloods, urine, eye test, full physical and chest xray, takes couple of hours and they are all lovely. I had no issues at all with any of the process, my visa stamp went in my passport weds and im good to go, honestly its so easy to apply, just downlaod the booklet and follow the forms to the word, theres even a checklist on the application form at the end so you can tick off everything you need, simples :)

well they do the eye test. blood pressure, they check your reactions, that knee hammer thing ! they feel your glands under your arms etc, i have a tatoo and a peirecing and they just said was i happy with the hygine level etc A few questions about your genral health etc , nothing to worry about , they take bloods to make sure you havent got hiv or hep, or rabies and thats about it

pee in a cup as well

i was quite worried but they were all lovely and very speedy, good luck

They say they dont tell you if youve passed or not but the doc gave me the nod and said i was no worries there mate :)

Good luck, youll be right

Guest rache&matt

Thanks for that Hels, although as far as I know my health is good you cant help worrying when all your plans depend on it!!!

Im expecting HIV etc tests because I also have tatoo and piercing, and am a nurse.

Once done then all my stuff in to Aus house and can sit and relax whilst waiting.

well they do the eye test. blood pressure, they check your reactions, that knee hammer thing ! they feel your glands under your arms etc, i have a tatoo and a peirecing and they just said was i happy with the hygine level etc A few questions about your genral health etc , nothing to worry about , they take bloods to make sure you havent got hiv or hep, or rabies and thats about it

pee in a cup as well

i was quite worried but they were all lovely and very speedy, good luck

They say they dont tell you if youve passed or not but the doc gave me the nod and said i was no worries there mate :)

Good luck, youll be right

Yeah i was scared stiff but they were lovely, plus my blood pressure was sky high and they took it over 5 times til it was an acceptable level, and i smoke, so i was a tad concerned, but the process was easy, i had the nagging feeling that as i was front loading what if i failed the meds before id even started to apply, what if they found something really wrong with me. You never get to see the results but unless they are bad you wouldnt need to i guess.

Good luck, youll be fine :)

Guest RobynAtPresentInLondon

I guess another advantage of doing the meds first is that if they do find something awfully wrong with you at least you haven't spent the £1000 on the application.

Rache I replied to your question about medicals on the waiting times thread and now can't even remember if you asked it on that thread!

Robyn

Guest rache&matt

Lovely how you dont get to see the results when you have paid £275 for the privilege of going isnt it!!!

Im sure I will be fine, but cant wait till tomorrow night when it is over.

Hi Thanks to everyone for the advice on the topic of the Medicals I live in N. Ireland from the info I have seen the Medical panels are in England, Scotland and Wales, I didn't see any mention of N. Ireland or Rep of Ireland, I take it I'll have to travel to have the medicals done