Relocating to Australia

Guest SKJ212

Hi All,

I am a new member and I was just wondering if anyone could offer advice, tips, and information on relocating to Australia. I just turned 25 and I graduate this Spring with a Bachelor's degree in Sociology and a minor in Business Administration. I currently work with kids who have Autism and would like to work in a Human Services field in Australia. I have never been to Australia and plan on visiting Melbourne this summer to celebrate my graduation. I have always wanted to settle in Australia mostly because of the Healthcare system. I was diagnosed with Cancer when I was 21 and I have been Cancer free for 3 years now but as most people know the US Healthcare system lacks both quality and access to those who have a pre-existing condition. I have been told that the job opportunities are great and the cultural diversity is limitless. With all of this being said, I am very much intimidated by the process of relocating to Australia from the visa application to the costs. It just seems so daunting. Any advice and information would be very much appreciated.

Hi, Welcome to PIO, the process of getting to Australia can be tiresome but this forum is your mecca, there are so mant posts on here which will answer many if not all of your queries. If you have particular concerns or need help then you are on one of the best web sites there is. We all have doubts and fears about leaving family and friends that's just a natural reaction.

I would suggest a perusal of some of the posts, read and read again and then if there is something that you are unsure of then post it and there will be someone who will answer.

Good luck with your quest and destination.

Guest GoldCoastMag

hi SKJ 212, welcome and do read as much as you can, there is a lot of information in PIO about the way to apply for a visa, 1st you may want to read the DIAC website and download some of the info there. The US Gov Travel website is another source.

The costs of relocating vary but things to budget for are the visa costs, flights, accomodation when you arrive and some funds to tide you over until you start earning aussie dollars. For the under 30ies a working holiday visa sounds attractive to give you a year to see if its where you can settle.

Lots to think about... but very doable

I appreciate your response. I hadn't thought much about the working holiday Visa. That would be a good idea to get a taste of Australia and to see if I could settle there. I had tried to research different visa costs but so far I haven't had much luck. I will keep researching. Thanks again :)