Why are you going ?

Guest chris955

Some think of helpful , as being or telling the good things, yet knowing the bad things would be far more helpful.

You can come here for 2,3, 4 weeks and love it, and really see that there may be something here for you (for some maybe).

But realistically only time here, weekly shopping here , working here, doing the every day chores here.... can really set your mind..

Everyone i meet says "you need to give it 2-3 years to settle" some 4 years!

Why wait !! you know if you like something pretty much straight away, any one can get USED to something !! so 2-3-4 years down the line, you will be fairly used to it i guess.

The years of loneliness, years of torment that people feel, really arent worth it, you have simply lost years of your life with the friends and family you always had and will always be with you... not to try if you want to try is another dilema, you have to do it, but dont waste your life if you know it aint for you... dont simply get used to it, enjoy it if you can.

I on the other hand dont want that big expensive house made from cheap materials, or that big fast car that most people seem to have trouble driving!!

Or to have more holiday days in which to do nothing or go no where with.

Funny thing i just read from an ozzy mag "did you know australians spend 90% of there time indoors" great eh!!

Dont get me on the crime here !!!

crime is everywhere, yes! but here th randomness of violent crime in the every day news is astonishing!!!

But I will be gald to live in a place where there is soul, passion, history, spirit (ambience! thats the word) , albeit dwindling over the last few years, i have faith that it will return.

Weather thats nothing, winter and crap weather is the way it is... i guess it shows the spirit of the person to get through it with a smile.

I certainly lost mine , but in 7 days time i will hopefully get it back and with this experience i will be very much the stronger person... back to a real Christmas, back to wrapping up back to friends and family.

God bless all who want to stay, thats you, expense cost, whatever? we have been happy to do it, live it , and leave it ! you cant take it with you, and we would never have known without doing it ...:yes:

To really appreciate what you have, u must leave it...far behind and then see...

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was none of the above, its what she saw, lifestyle in the outburbs of Melbourne, nothing much other than roads, never ending housing estates, shopping centres and lots of rain, yes a day or two here and there out in the hills and the city, etc was appreciated but looking at it as a long term prospect, she was right, she couldn't have an acceptable lifestyle in comparison to what she had back home. .

Ah...now the truth comes out - lifestyle in the outburbs of Melbourne.

Well life in the outburbs of Melbourne bears no resemblance to the Australia I live in nor the Australia many other people live in.

It is superficial and/or arrogant to use those terms: all it shows is how people are prepared to judge a very diverse country on their own very limited experience.

I venture that the only aspect of my life in Australia she could predict accurately is that we speak English at home. And even that is not true for many people here.

Guest chris955

Very good post spenny, again it sums it up for many people. Not all obviously, it would be as silly as someone saying that everyone in the UK wants to come here, yes I have heard it several times.

Nobody is arguing with those who have settled and love it here but those who don't have equally valid opinions. It seems as soon as someone dares to criticize Australia out come the photos of fish and beaches, if that's what does it for you then fine but don't be so bloody insecure :biggrin:

I understand that many people are having a great life in Aus and that is fantastic - the life that others have described I can relate to having spent time in almost every major city in Aus and living in regional Australia so I can relate to the feeling of emptiness.

However if you want to argue the toss, please give information about the positive aspects of your life in Australia rather than argue with this perspective - i am sure it would be helpful and might help people gain a balanced view of the possible outcomes depending on who they are and what they want from this experience.

No-one suggests it works for everyone - let's hear as much from those as to how/why it has been successful.

Ah...now the truth comes out - lifestyle in the outburbs of Melbourne.

Well life in the outburbs of Melbourne bears no resemblance to the Australia I live in nor the Australia many other people live in.

It is superficial and/or arrogant to use those terms: all it shows is how people are prepared to judge a very diverse country on their own very limited experience.

I venture that the only aspect of my life in Australia she could predict accurately is that we speak English at home. And even that is not true for many people here.

She wasnt complaining about the country as such, she knew that if she lived over here she would have to either live in a dreary outer suburb or a cowboy town (which she did see on one of our trips, and is even more souless). It wasnt as if the best of Aus is avaliable to many people (unless you like shopping centres and crap TV, pubs with ambience of a toilet and a betting shop in to boot). And to top it off after meeting teachers via family she found them to be arrogant and big mouthed about how superior Aus teaching is and she would have to start from scratch etc etc. She is not arrogant and you have no right to say so, there are a thousand threads on this site extolling the virtues of Australia and what a shangrila it is, so on that basis why do you have to follow me around and dispute whatever I say. Are you the local thought police? I dont go to threads spun from dreams and start p*ssing on everyone's ambitions so why do you stick your nose in so frequently? Perhaps if people from this particular column did the same it would balance the act.

she knew that if she lived over here she would have to either live in a dreary outer suburb or a cowboy town It wasnt as if the best of Aus is avaliable to many people

Why?

I've lived in 6 different locations in 3 different states and none of them has been either a dreary outer suburb or a cowboy town. And I've never had access to above average income.

why do you have to follow me around and dispute whatever I say. Are you the local thought police? I dont go to threads spun from dreams and start p*ssing on everyone's ambitions so why do you stick your nose in so frequently?

I "stick my nose in" because

1. I'm a subscriber to PIO

2. All PIO subscribers are entitled to contribute to any thread - see recent comments by Moderator on this subject

3. Sometimes I see a statement which is so inaccurate or so ludicrous it would be wrong to ignore it.

I have much more interesting things to do than follow you around but one of those statements was your quote:

her description of life in Australia was that it is 'one dimensional'. and 'one size fits all' in terms of the nature of what lifestyle is avaliable.

Now it transpires that it was made after one holiday in Melbourne and a particular dislike for the the outerburbs. Well, I don't blame her for that - I'd run a mile from Melbourne's outerburbs too!

But to be such an authority on the lifestyles available in all of Australia after such limited experience is both ludicrous and inaccurate.

I don't dispute for one moment any person's personal reaction to any particular areas or aspects of Australia. But to imply that, therefore, the rest of the country must be like that displays an ignorance about the diversity in Australia.

Why?

I've lived in 6 different locations in 3 different states and none of them has been either a dreary outer suburb or a cowboy town. And I've never had access to above average income.

I "stick my nose in" because

1. I'm a subscriber to PIO

2. All PIO subscribers are entitled to contribute to any thread - see recent comments by Moderator on this subject

3. Sometimes I see a statement which is so inaccurate or so ludicrous it would be wrong to ignore it.

I have much more interesting things to do than follow you around but one of those statements was your quote:

Now it transpires that it was made after one holiday in Melbourne and a particular dislike for the the outerburbs. Well, I don't blame her for that - I'd run a mile from Melbourne's outerburbs too!

But to be such an authority on the lifestyles available in all of Australia after such limited experience is both ludicrous and inaccurate.

I don't dispute for one moment any person's personal reaction to any particular areas or aspects of Australia. But to imply that, therefore, the rest of the country must be like that displays an ignorance about the diversity in Australia.

I stand by what I and she said. You don't like it on account of it doesn't tally with your life experiences, 90% of Aussies live in the cities, the vast majority in the outburbs these days, they have little or no choice based on housing costs, wages and availability of work, this is the option most immigrants now have to live with, there is no dynamic lifestyle waiting for those on median wages. I see the life style of many I know and I will say they have far less variety amongst themselves than most of the people I know in the UK. You may well have interesting dynamic lifestyles but to be honest I dont know anyone here that does, and certainly not in the world of median incomes, and even less so for those in that situation with kids. Once again I can make this statement and you can refute it till the cows come home for all I care but I will keep you busy with counter replys for ever more if you like. Perhaps I should now, after your encouragement, move onto the 'Disneyland' threads and counter every statement that doesn't fit with my, and many others perceptions.

My cousin, a teacher from England came over for a holiday, her description of life in Australia was that it is 'one dimensional'. and 'one size fits all' in terms of the nature of what lifestyle is avaliable.

But if that siize fits you there is no better place in the World.

Did your cousin like it or dislike it BTW?

Was none of the above, its what she saw, lifestyle in the outburbs of Melbourne, nothing much other than roads, never ending housing estates, shopping centres and lots of rain, yes a day or two here and there out in the hills and the city, etc was appreciated but looking at it as a long term prospect, she was right, she couldn't have an acceptable lifestyle in comparison to what she had back home. She was fully entitled to say that, and she isn't in the slightest bit rude or arrogant, spends much of her time caring for people and asks for little from people. There are far more people in Australia willing to aggressively tell you how stupid you are to like anything about your 'old' country and how could you possibly ever want to go back there, never mind have a life anywhere else, and they have never left Australia. That is arrogance personified.

nothing much other than roads, never ending housing estates, shopping centres and lots of rain,

Would have been like she had never left the UK then!!

See the weather doesn't really matter, according to a lot of people who are returning to the UK. That's until someone comes out on holiday and the weather is crap then there is not much difference to the UK.

We had a month in Bermuda when my wifes Sister lived there and it rained for the first two weeks. Didn't enjoy it much at all, got soaked every day and the borrowed moped kept stalling because of the rain.

Second two weeks the sun came out and we were able to do so many things that we couldn't when it was wet. Saw the true beauty of the place then, felt like paradise. Damned expensive though.

Once again I can make this statement and you can refute it till the cows come home for all I care but I will keep you busy with counter replys for ever more if you like.

No thanks, I have too many dynamic and interesting things to occupy myself with.

Guest GillianM

Hi, been here since 3rd Aug, and booked flights to go home 18th January. We just know Melbourne ain't for us, cant pinpoint what it exactly is about the place but we prefer back home, in Scotland. Our teenage girls had more a social life back home as we did and here theres nothing to do and they are stuck indoors all the time, whereas back home they were out with friends and family most of the time. The weather here reminds me of Scotland apart from a day here and there if your lucky to get a bit sun. I think things are more expensive here, but wages are better than back home. We haven't met alot of people and find it to be very lonely here. We had to come here to try it out but i don't think giving it 2 years or more will change how we feel. I prefer to be home with friends and family and **** weather lol

Gillian

Hi, been here since 3rd Aug, and booked flights to go home 18th January. We just know Melbourne ain't for us, cant pinpoint what it exactly is about the place but we prefer back home, in Scotland. Our teenage girls had more a social life back home as we did and here theres nothing to do and they are stuck indoors all the time, whereas back home they were out with friends and family most of the time. The weather here reminds me of Scotland apart from a day here and there if your lucky to get a bit sun. I think things are more expensive here, but wages are better than back home. We haven't met alot of people and find it to be very lonely here. We had to come here to try it out but i don't think giving it 2 years or more will change how we feel. I prefer to be home with friends and family and **** weather lol

Gillian

If its the weather getting you down, in all reality this year has been particularly bad, in fact they havent had a winter like this for maybe 20 years or so. Weve had to spend most of it in a caravan. My other half is from Scotland and we spent a week there this year, wonderful place for maybe 8 months of the year but dark in winter is a killer for me. Anyway good luck with the move.

Guest guest36187

Please keep issues to PMs or emails and not on the open forum. Two posts have needed to be deleted from this thread for that reason. They were a little personal.

Thanks guys,

Please keep issues to PMs or emails and not on the open forum. Two posts have needed to be deleted from this thread for that reason. They were a little personal.

Thanks guys,

i'm guessing someone hit a nerve, people sometimes dont want to hear the other side i guess, shame it has to turn out like that .... keep going guys, good bad right or wrong, views are a privilege, experiences are invaluable, keep the thread going or it will only end up being the same conversation, but a different Thread Title....but be nice or the police will slam u, so dont tell too much of the truth !!! :smile:

Guest christi
i'm guessing someone hit a nerve, people sometimes dont want to hear the other side i guess, shame it has to turn out like that .... keep going guys, good bad right or wrong, views are a privilege, experiences are invaluable, keep the thread going or it will only end up being the same conversation, but a different Thread Title....but be nice or the police will slam u, so dont tell too much of the truth !!! :smile:

Any migrants considering coming out, need to know how it is here.Its far from the Australia, we thought we were coming to. Crime, expensive, Dull lifestyle and the "Ive felt dead, since I arrived" does apply to so many people

If you like it here, well thats great, but people need to know negatives, as well as positives, because its a very expensive journey to make,when you migrate here, and getting home is a nightmare, costs, and the emotional side of things .Australia is nothing like I had imagined ,Ive been bitterly disapointed with so many aspects of life here.I had a far better life back in the Uk, and it did not cost me anywhere near as much to live there, as it does here.There are going to be a lot of people coming here now, who are in for one hell of a shock.The exchange rate, will cripple them, for starters, and if they are expecting to live cheaply anywhere half decent, they are going to get a rude awakening

So they need to look long and hard, and read posts that do not give the impression, that life is so wonderful here, because its not for many.Us home-goers are not going home for the fun of it, its been an emotional upheaval for many. We have been here 3 years, and to be honest, we knew, in the first couple of weeks, it was not for us, and we had made a big mistake, giving up our UK life. But we have stuck it out and tried so hard to like it here.Every day the homesickness has got progressivly worse and we should of gone home a long time ago.We are on our way very soon, we know this is not going to ever get any better for us

But I implore anyone considering coming out,think long and hard about what you have back home, Read the negatives , as well as the positives, and realise that what one person deems to be perfect, is not the lifestyle someone else may want.

Us homegoers dont return to the UK for the fun of it, theres very good reasons and its not always, because we miss family.

The threads where, people show negativity must be kept going, its very unfair otherwise on anyone who is considering coming out, not to be able t6o see both sides and that way, they can make the decison

What is fact for me, may not be for another PIO member, but everyone should be able to say,what they are un happy with,and not be met with sarcasam and basically called a liar, because they state, their experiences of life here.Hence the point of the Moving Back to the UK,threads.We are not going home, because, we love the place and life is everything we dreamt of.

Guest chris955

I have read on here that this is no place for negative comments that might scare off would be immigrants :elvis: So basically sugar coat everything and all will be well in the world.

I had 2 or 3 people say to me when I was in the UK 'well Australia must be better than here ?' Why ? Why must it be better ? Friends don't say this to us but just people I strike up a conversation with. To be fair it usually comes around to the weather and not much of any real substance. Of course there will be those who think the weather is what constitutes a 'better' life.

The people that have made it here just make themselves look silly with their sarcastic comments so they aren't worth worrying about, the only people of importance are yourself and family.

Chris955, as well you know, it all comes down to indivdiual circumstances. For some, better weather DOES constitute a better life. For others, it really doesn't make difference (me for instance!)

I don't think PIO is a place where negative comments are frowned upon and for me I am glad there are folks like yourself highlighting some of the truths that you have found living your life in Australia. Likewise, I am glad that there also those with great enthusiasm for living here. It is a beautifeul country after all. As is the UK.

Guest chris955

Yes I agree, as I said 'Of course there will be those who think the weather is what constitutes a 'better' life.' for some yes it does mean a better life. I have always been one of those who has said it all comes down to where you have come from and where you end up here to a large degree.

Australia is indeed a beautiful country and I have had many wonderful years here.

Chris955, as well you know, it all comes down to indivdiual circumstances. For some, better weather DOES constitute a better life. For others, it really doesn't make difference (me for instance!)

I don't think PIO is a place where negative comments are frowned upon and for me I am glad there are folks like yourself highlighting some of the truths that you have found living your life in Australia. Likewise, I am glad that there also those with great enthusiasm for living here. It is a beautifeul country after all. As is the UK.

Guest famousfive

I feel that the positive and negative aspects of moving to oz are both vital bits of information for those contemplating the move here.The wait for a visa is often a long one,full of stress,impatience and even doubt.The positive posts help keep the dream alive and the mind focused when,at times,it would be easier to just give up.On the other hand,the posts that show some of the negatives can help others avoid some of the pitfalls and hopefully make them view the country realistically,which can only be a good thing.

Threads in the MBTTUK section are of course open to all and sundry to voice their opinions,but are of obviously of most interest to those of us who plan to head home or have returned home.It is a place where we can come and tell our story,share our worries,get advice and have a general chit chat with others in a similar situation.Of course it is nice to give a balanced and fair view if possible but it must also be considered that some just don't friggin' like it here in oz and it would be fair to allow them to voice this without having others refute their claim.It is how they feel.

As for this particular thread,the title asks the question-"Why are you going?"[back to uk].It seems logical to me that those who are not going back would not have an answer to this question and therefore little to contribute to the conversation.