Getting my daughter out here ??

tearose

Long story but I'll try and keep it short - ish !

I came out to Australia in 2007, got re-married in 2008 and now have my permanent residency. I am divorced and my three children are in the UK, the youngest being 15 and my daughter.

She keeps asking about coming out with me to live. Admittedly she's not 100% at the moment, but I thought that I should be getting solid facts behind me.

She is in her last year at school in the Uk, she wants to possiblt go onto Uni as she wants to study for veterinary nursing. She is due to leave school around May time.

Should she come over, when would be the best time (if there is one) ? How would her schooling go ? Woould she have to go back to school here to do another 2 years or could she go straight to Uni or Tafe ?

How does the scoring compare between the 2 countries ?

And furthermore her dad does not want her to come over to live with me, so does she have to wait until she is 18 ? Or is the age 16 ?

Sorry folks, so many questions, just want to get all the facts behind me :)

Thanks in Advance :)

Guest Guest31881

I have moved your question to the Migration forum, where it will be seen by more people who may be able to offer advice

Guest guest36187

Regarding your daughter, Her Dad would have to give permission for her to leave but I am nto sure of ALL the legalities. Your best bet is to liasie with a family lawyer for some good, solid advice. Posters on forums have the best of intentions but they are not solicitors.

Also talk to tracey123 on here (Tracey and Geoff). They have recently gone through the courts to be able to remove Traceys son to Australia. It can be a long drawn out and expensive process.

Good Luck x

Under UK law a child of 16 is considered to be able to decide for herself who and where she wants to live. Once she has past this birthday you do not need to seek your ex's permission for her to move to Australia. Before that age your ex can refuse and to get permission you would have to seek the court's permission. As your daughter is almost 16. it seems sensible to wait. You need to verify this information with a family lawyer.

On a personal note, has your daughter been out here on holiday? It would be a good idea for her to do so if she hasn't.

With regards to school. Each state has different laws but generally kids stay on until they are 18 and take a 'leaving certificate' which is similar to A levels. Kids do leave school and can go to TAFE to study vocational subjects or work. However it is very difficult to get employment without having completed year 12 (or equivalent) I would imagine she needs her leaving cert to study as a vet nurse. However you need to check what she requires.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks - the ex wont let her come out for a holiday - prob thinks she wont go back !!

So as regards to schooling its probably best to speak to the Education department and check that what she leaves with next year is sufficient enough for her here to be able to carry on and do something about ?

Hsa anyone else been in the same situation ?

I will send a message to Tracey - thanks

Thanks guys x

Archived