Is it worth buying and exporting a car?

Guest burgledad

Guest burgledad

I've seen the daft prices of cars when in Aus and I've read the threads on PIO. I know about the tax on ordinary and luxury cars when exporting to Aus. There must be a cut off point on price that makes is it worth buying a car (or two) over here and shipping across. Has anybody done the sums? Does anyone have any advice?

Cheers

John

Guest Guest31881

You must have owned the car and used it for 12 months prior to bringing it to Australia

and you are only allowed one car each. So if you intend to buy a car to bring here make sure you do it 12 months before you make the move.

I am sure someone else can inform you about the costs of registering and importing the car once it gets to Australia, other considerations are insurance, depending on the type of car the insurance can be difficult to obtain, spare parts for cars that are not normally available here are expensive. The resale value can be affected as it is a "grey Import", some find it worthwhile and some say its not, I think you have to do your homework and see what is right for your situation.

Guest burgledad

The 12 month rule wrecks that idea. Thanks for the info.

The Aussies seem to micro control everything. Does the control and bureaucracy drive UK immigrants crazy after a while?

The 12 month rule wrecks that idea. Thanks for the info.

The Aussies seem to micro control everything. Does the control and bureaucracy drive UK immigrants crazy after a while?

I wouldn't say it drives me crazy but sometimes I think there is a bit of bureaucratic overkill over here. That said, check out what the banks did to the UK. There is always a flipside.

BTW, I picked up a 1979 Volvo for $500.

Cheers.