Electricians, Electricians, Electricians!!!

Guest NeilanGemz

Guest NeilanGemz

I'm trying to locate a copy of the austalian wiring regs (preferably on pdf), been searching the internet, book shops, even the australian ebay site, but would you believe all I can find is BS7671 - 17th Edition, even on the australian ebay site!!!!

If any sparkys out there have a pdf file of them that I could have a look at it would be appreciated. Want to start swotting up in prep for my test.

Thanks Guys

Neil:biggrin:

Guest NeilanGemz

Im thinking of signing up for the distance learning course offered by peer in Adelaide, as far as I know they include a copy of AS NZS 3000:2007 as part of the course. I guess that why I'm being a cheap skate, don't really see the point in buying a copy if I'm going to get a copy anyway. Cheers for the info though mate

Neil

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stixblue

Hello Neil

I am also thinking of signing up for the overseas training. Do you have any idea of costings through PEER? I have my OTSR through VETASSESS and have recently been appointed a CO so things are finally moving after 2 years! Any correspondence will be appreciated.

Cheers Dave Gardner

Hello Neil

I am also thinking of signing up for the overseas training. Do you have any idea of costings through PEER? I have my OTSR through VETASSESS and have recently been appointed a CO so things are finally moving after 2 years! Any correspondence will be appreciated.

Cheers Dave Gardner

Its $1495 and they post out the workbook, the exam is now 4 days which you sit in Adelaide, apparently quite difficult, a lot of theory which my OH is stressing about cos its a long time since he did all that!! But if you want to earn decent money and be a A class spark this i think is the only route

Lorraine.

Guest stixblue
Its $1495 and they post out the workbook, the exam is now 4 days which you sit in Adelaide, apparently quite difficult, a lot of theory which my OH is stressing about cos its a long time since he did all that!! But if you want to earn decent money and be a A class spark this i think is the only route

Lorraine.

Thanks Lorraine

• 4 weeks later...
Guest NeilanGemz

Hi Guys

Just a quick bump to see if anyone out there has a link to a downloadable copy of the australian wiring regs yet?? would be very much appreciated if you do :-)

Neil

Why don't you guys do the electrical licence here. My OH is busy with it at the moment. It is hard work but think it's worth it. If you are interested you can do it through Downunder Tradies - look them up on Facebook.

Guest welshspark

I was looking to take the same route but have read that if you go down the wa route for a licence then you cant transfer it to queensland dont know if this true

• 5 months later...
Why don't you guys do the electrical licence here. My OH is busy with it at the moment. It is hard work but think it's worth it. If you are interested you can do it through Downunder Tradies - look them up on Facebook.

Just wondering if anyone has done their license with these people???

We found they were very expensive and you have to take Fridays if work for several weeks. When u get to Oz u still need to do your work book for up to a year. So really no different to your vetassess. We now have our visa and have just applied for our TRA. As and when this comes through we will then look at the distance learning and 2 day exam with peer.

Good luck x

Lorraine.

Hi guys, not been on here for ages. Just to let u know we arrived 16th Feb, hubby sat his Electrical exam at Peer in Adelaide. took about 3 and a half days, he didnt find it too bad. Got a job already lined up so he started that the following week, was only on $27 per hour, probation period but there was no sign of them putting his money up so he has gone as a casual with another company who have tons of work and were looking for 10 electricians. Base rate is $40 an hour and after 40 hours it goes up to $60 an hour. He starts on Monday, am soo excited as will have some decent money coming in (we have 5 kids) so were struggling slightly.

Also the workbooks you get with the long distance learning you sell back to the licence people for about $300 i think.

Hope this helps

Lorraine x

Hi Guys

Just a quick bump to see if anyone out there has a link to a downloadable copy of the australian wiring regs yet?? would be very much appreciated if you do :-)

Neil

Hi Neil,

If you pm me with your e-mail address, I will reply and attach the pdf for 3000 rules.

Did the PEER back in November, now have WA unrestricted licence ready for when we move over.

Regards............Steve.

Guest DGRoberts

Hi All

Could you please send me the link for the course you ahve to do when you arrive in OZ to get your unrestricted license, am interested and would like to take a look.

Sharon, would you be so kind to also send me the regulations, love a bit of night time reading! Better to be prepared hey! Thanks guys, hope those of us who are still waiting make it soon :-)

Thanks

Darren

(Jumping on this thread, because my oh is also a sparky and we're 100% confused!!) :confused:

So, if it costs $1495 to do this PEER long distance course, does anyone know how much it costs to arrange it all on arrival in Australia? And is it still a case of doing the theory part at home, and going to Adelaide for the practical exam? What is the time frame for this from start to finish?

We are headed for WA and my hubby has his OTSR through Vetassess (2009) if that means anything?

The long and the short of it, is: Will he be able to work as an electrician WITHOUT this "A" Grade licence, or not?

My OH emailed Govt of WA Energy Safety, and they sent him pdf's of 2 forms to fill out/apply for.

1) Electrical Worker's application for a permit to work under supervision

2) Application for an electrician's licence (Qualifications gained overseas)

I'm pretty sure this Energy Safety/Licencing dept said that this is all he would need to have to be able to work?? Or would this just be a temporary licence until he gets the "A" licence?

Sorry it these questions sound a bit thick, but I've totally lost the plot with OTSR/Vetassess/TRA etc etc!! I know this is something that my husband will want to sort out asap on arrival in WA, so we need to know what we're doing, where we're going and how much it's costing.

Any pointers will be most welcome. :wink:

(I think either my OH or I have previously asked questions on this subject, but are still none the wiser. LOL)

Thanks all!

Catherine

Hi All

Could you please send me the link for the course you ahve to do when you arrive in OZ to get your unrestricted license, am interested and would like to take a look.

Sharon, would you be so kind to also send me the regulations, love a bit of night time reading! Better to be prepared hey! Thanks guys, hope those of us who are still waiting make it soon :-)

Thanks

Darren

pm me with your e-mail, and I'll send it.

Steve.

(Jumping on this thread, because my oh is also a sparky and we're 100% confused!!) :confused:

So, if it costs $1495 to do this PEER long distance course, does anyone know how much it costs to arrange it all on arrival in Australia? And is it still a case of doing the theory part at home, and going to Adelaide for the practical exam? What is the time frame for this from start to finish?

We are headed for WA and my hubby has his OTSR through Vetassess (2009) if that means anything?

The long and the short of it, is: Will he be able to work as an electrician WITHOUT this "A" Grade licence, or not?

My OH emailed Govt of WA Energy Safety, and they sent him pdf's of 2 forms to fill out/apply for.

1) Electrical Worker's application for a permit to work under supervision

2) Application for an electrician's licence (Qualifications gained overseas)

I'm pretty sure this Energy Safety/Licencing dept said that this is all he would need to have to be able to work?? Or would this just be a temporary licence until he gets the "A" licence?

Sorry it these questions sound a bit thick, but I've totally lost the plot with OTSR/Vetassess/TRA etc etc!! I know this is something that my husband will want to sort out asap on arrival in WA, so we need to know what we're doing, where we're going and how much it's costing.

Any pointers will be most welcome. :wink:

(I think either my OH or I have previously asked questions on this subject, but are still none the wiser. LOL)

Thanks all!

Catherine

We are confused aswell oh has passed vetassess and has visa, but keeps reading about people doing the peer course distance learning etc, is this really possible to do this here in the uk.

Hi guys,

Yes it is possible to do the PEER course in the UK but you will have to go to Adelaide at some point to do the 4/5 day revision and exam.

Also, if you have an OTSR then you will need to apply for an Australian Recognised Trades Certificate (ARTC) from Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) which costs $300.

If you don't get an ARTC and attend PEER with an OTSR then you will be required to complete some 'on the job' gap training.

Also, bear in mind that some feedback suggests that QLD an VIC are refusing to issue licences ,under the terms of "mutual recognition", to SA licence holders.

A viable alternative, especially those heading to WA is to attend a 2 week course at CET in Perth. Upon successful completion you would be awarded a WA A grade licence.

Check out this LINK for step by step info on how to do this. You will notice that the OP has an ARTC. Do not be concerned by this as the process is the same for holders of an OTSR.

Hope this helps

Regards Derren

Hi guys,

Yes it is possible to do the PEER course in the UK but you will have to go to Adelaide at some point to do the 4/5 day revision and exam.

Also, if you have an OTSR then you will need to apply for an Australian Recognised Trades Certificate (ARTC) from Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) which costs $300.

If you don't get an ARTC and attend PEER with an OTSR then you will be required to complete some 'on the job' gap training.

Also, bear in mind that some feedback suggests that QLD an VIC are refusing to issue licences ,under the terms of "mutual recognition", to SA licence holders.

A viable alternative, especially those heading to WA is to attend a 2 week course at CET in Perth. Upon successful completion you would be awarded a WA A grade licence.

Check out this LINK for step by step info on how to do this. You will notice that the OP has an ARTC. Do not be concerned by this as the process is the same for holders of an OTSR.

Hope this helps

Regards Derren

Hi there! What if you are moving to Queensland.....is there any hope for us. We have been told that my oh (electrician 23 years) will have to apply for licence which allows him to work supervised, then complete workbook (which can take about 12months) and also sit exams. 12 months is a long time to work only getting trade assistant money when you have a family. Is there any other way?

Cheers

Sharon:confused:

You have to go down the vettassess route to obtain your visa there is no other way.

Once you have your visa to enable you to work as a fully qualified Electrician you need to learn the Australian rules. Officially if you have done the vettassess assesment you need to take a wiring regs course and then complete a workbook that can take upto a year to get your full licence.

OR

Once you have your visa, you can apply to the TRA for your ARTC which if you pass gives you the certificate to apply to Peer for a short course. The ARTC require an awful lot of detail and information so be prepared to spend a long time doing your application form. The assessment costs $300 and this is the stage we are at. Our application has gone to them, we have an email and a tracking number and we have been told it will take up to 30 days for the assessment to be completed. For information you should apply for the Electrical Mechanic or you will not get your A class to enable you to work unsupervised.

Once you have your ARTC (they will only issue you a certificate once you are in Oz and to an Oz address) you can then apply to Peer to complete a distance learning course for the wiring regs. Then you need to attend Peer for revision and an exam - they have suggested 2/3 days for this. Once both hoops have been jumped through you can then apply for your licence which will give you a licence for SA. This can then be transferred to other state (but not all).

When applying for jobs some companies do not need you to transfer but others do.

We are 10 days in so fingers crossed we hear about the ARTC soon !!

Hi....does anyone know what is happening in Queensland at the moment. Are they accepting SA licences. If they are not transferring them and you do have a SA licence is the process then the same (12 months wookbook etc).

Cheers Sharon:frown:

Hi Sharon,

I've read a few posts about this on the BE website. I've read one post where a WA licence holder was refused one and I think he is currently using an appeals and arbitration service to appeal against it so it will be interesting to see the outcome.

In my mind this is a clear contravention of the terms of mutual recognition.

Anyway, I was going to go down the SA or WA route to get my QLD licence but I can't afford to take the risk so I'm probably going to use this training organisation- www.qet.edu.au

The course is via correspondence and costs about $1300. Chris Williamson , the director, speaks of a 3 month time frame to get licenced but this is for holders of an ARTC. Holders of an OTSR will have to do more course and will be more costly.

I've attached a copy of an email I received from Chris.

Regards Derren

Hi Sharon,

I've read a few posts about this on the BE website. I've read one post where a WA licence holder was refused one and I think he is currently using an appeals and arbitration service to appeal against it so it will be interesting to see the outcome.

In my mind this is a clear contravention of the terms of mutual recognition.

Anyway, I was going to go down the SA or WA route to get my QLD licence but I can't afford to take the risk so I'm probably going to use this training organisation- www.qet.edu.au

The course is via correspondence and costs about $1300. Chris Williamson , the director, speaks of a 3 month time frame to get licenced but this is for holders of an ARTC. Holders of an OTSR will have to do more course and will be more costly.

I've attached a copy of an email I received from Chris.

Regards Derren

Hi Derren.....typical....Mark has the OTSR. This whole thing is completly mad and frustrating. We can't wait to make the move, (hopefully Sept) but to work for 12months on trade assistant money, with a family is a big ask. When are you looking to move?

To get a SA licence seems so much easier (why...is Quennsland electric different ha!) It all seems to be a money making scheme from start to finish. Hope someone comes up with an easier way to get your Queensland licence oneday soon. If you get any further information which may be of help to us, please would you let me know

Cheers

Sharon:notworthy: