Moving back to the mother land

Guest spenny

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest annemarie and brian

all i can say is you came you trird you have no regreats or what ifs but found out its not for you and thats not a bad thing its a good thing as theres people out there still saying what if in there old age,so good luck with the move back and have a great life.xx

We have been here 9 weeks, this place is a fantastic natural beauty of a land, all you want from nature the sea, sand, bushland, its nature, snakes, kangaroos ,spiders, lizards and so many more wonderful animals of which i am in awe of, i have had this dream of wanting to come to Oz for so many years 24 approx, always said to my mam why couldnt i have been born in Oz or USA just for the warm climate mainly,

always wanted to go to California to live but couldnt go because my parents were born in the UK ? go figure ?

So we decided to come to Australia the place has beauty and please hear this from my view about WA i know nothing of other areas, so i am not calling Australia as a whole!

My work friend used to have a go at me for wanting to come here " you'll be bit by something or ate by something" , my reply "i will happilly take my chance with nature, rather than live here (UK)" but now i may be eating those words because as beautiful as Australia seems (WA) it is a very slow and unwelcoming place, don't get me wrong there are nice people here,

but crime seems far more aggressive, attitudes are primative, everyone keeps them selves to themselves , you got friends , fine.... you aint got friends they seem a bit strange.

The happy guys in the shops are paid to be happy (im sure some are very nice people). this isn't a nation of happy people......... self indulgence, (i have this big house attitude and a stupid loud fast car that i have to drive at 100kph every where)

Simply driving down the road isnt enjoyable , not knowing if you will be safe , you only have to listen to the radio every morning to hear anither accident on any main road, because they simply cant drive here idiocy is the way , they think they can brake from 10 ft away at 100kph, morons (i again am only generalising im sure there are people here that can drive). UK compared to Australia road accidents deaths etc Australia is far worse there are 60 odd million people in UK, 20 million here, yet there are still a close amount of deaths on roads, it says a lot about the attitude of the individuals here .

So we are going back to the mother land and re affirming our faith in what ENGLAND was and can yet again be, we felt far safer walking the streets of where we are from and i will now be commited to helping towards the belief that ENGLAND can again become great ....I am not bad mouthing OZ i wish it could have worked for us to wake up to the sun nearly every morning is great but real life aint here for us,

god bless u all xxx:wideeyed:

Your doing the right thing,9 weeks,9 months .why prolong the agony,like many do. I wish we had gone back a long time ago,i always think of the wasted years we have spent here.You miss out on so much,like whats happening with family events ect.

Your discription of WA is whats happening all across Australia,Queensland is probaly worse.Carnage on the roads,road rage is out of control.Drunken violent anti social behavior, has now spread to rural towns,where we live.We have now stopped going to our local RSL.Stabbings and glassings all the time.Your right for a country of only 20 million crime is terrible,even the police have got such a bad name in Qld for beating members of the public up for no good reason.

Spenny, so sorry to hear that it hasn't worked out, but don't despair, just look forward to the next chapter in your lives in beautiful England.

I fully understand what you mean about the driving here, it's just awful and in some ways it does reflect their attitude, slack attitude = slack driving. I have a 2 months old baby and I hardly take her out in the car, unless it's absolutely necessary, I am so scared that a road train will end up in the back of my car, they drive those lorries like idiots, I was overtaken by a road train many-many times and I was driving at the speed limit...

Not to mention the hoons burning out their cars on the roads on a regular basis, and they applaud eachother by doing so, so primitive...

Wishing you the best of luck on your return, are you going back to a different area in the UK or the same where you used to live?

It is also mandatory to get to the speed limit asap after the traffic lights, and heaven help you if you dawdle along at 59kph. You won't be able to read the number plate in the rear view mirror.

Exactly my thoughts...

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this.

Guest sunnyday

Hi Spenny, We've been here for 3 months and I don't know if Oz is for us or not, I have mixed feelings and feel the pull back every other day but I know if we went back now I'd regret it. I want to give it more time and I want to see more of Oz before I make that decision, thats just me though. I can completley understand people that decide to go back earier rather than later. Best of luck with the move :)

Guest guest36187

Everyone is different. All experiences are different.

For my husband and me, we knew after 2 weeks! It was that soon. We had always said we would go with the 2 year thing and then re-evaluate. After 2 weeks we looked at each other and didnt have to say a word, we just knew!

Almost 6 years on , we`re still here. I have to say, I dont even want to go back for a visit. My OH finds that hard to believe sometimes!!!!!

I hope that everything works out for you. I hope that you get the settlement and peace that you are looking for,

Keep in touch with PIO x

Guest chris955

That's right and I honestly believe that after 2 weeks you could equally feel the exact opposite. When we came to Brisbane 10 years ago I felt instantly at home, it helped that I had been in Australia since 1962 on and off but it was still a major move having grown up in Victoria. Now because things have changed so much FOR US it doesn't feel the same at all and we are returning to the UK. I always think that a book should never be closed because you may need to add another chapter. :biggrin:

Guest guest36187

I understand what you are saying Chris and the old never say never. BUT as you (and others) have said many a time, when you know its not right, you know!

I know it IS and i KNOW that I am not going to live in UK again. My OH and I have had discussions about what we would do if one of us `passed away`....would the other one stay here or go back to uk?

We are the same! Here is home.

Edited to add:

We have made a new life for ourselves here and it works for us which is great. Friends of ours went back to Wales last year after being away from UK for almost 20 years. She wanted to go back as she was missing family, He said `we`ll be back!!! lol`

Im with you all the way Spenny ! Been here 4months now and knew from the first week it just wasnt for us ! So why torture yourself for 4yrs..... Home is definalty where the heart is and mine is in the UK for sure .

We are returning next March .... bring it on .....

Funnily enough nicandjay March is when we will be off, end of our rental lease. but we would go tomorrow if we could, its just that we know in our hearts that we need to go...

thanks for all the comments :wubclub:

Guest guest37336

Hi Spenny.

I do tend to go along with this thought or impression.

It's akin to walking into a house that you are considering buying, normally within the first few seconds you get a feel and understanding of the place. You know whether or not the house is for you. So I can perfectly understand the feeling when related to Australia, you either know or don't.

This may take the 'two year' threshold, or it may take a week or less. Whatever the impression all you can do is go with your gut instincts and make the decision you have come to.

You may end up loathing your life back in the UK, or the decision to leave Australia could be the best you have ever made. To say 'Give It Some Time, (though I understand what s being said) is of little revalance to the party concerned if they are truly unhappy, go with the gut instinct, it is more than often right, IMO anyway.

Cheers Tony.:chatterbox:

Your doing the right thing,9 weeks,9 months .why prolong the agony,like many do. I wish we had gone back a long time ago,i always think of the wasted years we have spent here.You miss out on so much,like whats happening with family events ect.

Your discription of WA is whats happening all across Australia,Queensland is probaly worse.Carnage on the roads,road rage is out of control.Drunken violent anti social behavior, has now spread to rural towns,where we live.We have now stopped going to our local RSL.Stabbings and glassings all the time.Your right for a country of only 20 million crime is terrible,even the police have got such a bad name in Qld for beating members of the public up for no good reason.

We went to a friends, friends house today the people there are all English but have lived here for some years, they all mostly enjoy it here although one of the couples (whose house we were at) said they liked it here but were very adamant that they would not be staying here, there reasons they would never want to die here as it will never be home...

(taking in to account we havent told them we are going back) but it certainly made us extremely sure as to what we want to do.

Our other friends that were there, who know we have our ups and downs trying to persuade us that it was perfect here, just after talking about there son getting beat up at the local garage round the corner last night, who was stabbed by one of the guys there last year, and then telling us about the local pizza delivery lad was mugged and beaten by a prank caller!!

So for a nice quaint small population, its far too much for us we definately wont be bringing our kids up here....

oh nearly forgot, we went to my friends house earlier in the day , our kids running around in the garden, come running in screaming, SNAKE yes a huge very aggressive, dugite, so thats it.....

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I have been to secret harbour and it seemed a beautiful low crime area and friends and family who lived there said it was fantastic, near the sea, brilliant weather and beaches rarely anything awful to mention and since coming on PIO its been said time and time again that secret harbour is a really really nice place to live. I don't want to cause an argument, but your comments are in contrary to alot of other people have previously said and i think people reading your above post will get a wrong impression about it.

ok the place is nice , quiet , beautiful beaches,

The pizza guy was mugged in port kennedy last night 5 mins away, the garage incident was the secret harbour main garage forecourt last night, the snake was in Singleton just up the way, funnily enough we drove over a snake crossing the road near the secret harbour shopping area (not litterally drive over it ).on the way to my mates house, so i guess there starting to start to come out now.

I guess as long as you keep youself to yourself , as we do, we dont venture out at night as we got young kids, daytime is ok we go beach (when not working) thats fine, going to the shops, no trouble so far, but as far as the incidents mentioned above they actually happened , screaching cars during the evening actually happens, but yes im sure if your not too fussed about these sort of things, then you will have a pleasant time, were happy enough for now but just would'nt want to stay here....our neighbors like it here, but they can understand our issues, their reply was "they come from Warrington so most places are better" there words not mine.

I just can't figure out the Brits. What was so wrong with the UK in the first place that made you want to leave? Then after a couple of months the amount of Brits that want to go home. I know the expense is on the individual and it costs the Australian government nothing, it actually generates more tax dollars for Austrlaia but really I do not think the British (in general) are suited for emigration. Time wasters for everyone else in the DIAC waiting list.

i know many people in Secret Harbour , ive been there with the family and took relatives that have stayed with us to the beaches too , the golf course is lovely , set in the middle of the suburb.....and ive not seen any trouble ........a little graffiti but that almost as boring as man utd and their cheating.......great surf beaches too , love driving down to SH to watch them now and again.......the only down side for me personally with SH is that its just a little bit too out of the way for travelling to NOR Perth if you have to ............but we did concider SH when we got here ............and our friends who live there have never mentioned any big time crime .........i put it down to too many poms coming over .....:laugh:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I just can't figure out the Brits. What was so wrong with the UK in the first place that made you want to leave? Then after a couple of months the amount of Brits that want to go home. I know the expense is on the individual and it costs the Australian government nothing, it actually generates more tax dollars for Austrlaia but really I do not think the British (in general) are suited for emigration. Time wasters for everyone else in the DIAC waiting list.

I understand and partly agree with what you say, but............. until every individual gets to Australia, they never know what they will feel like and if its only taken 9 weeks to decide this then its their perogative to do this. It sounds crazy to some people but we are all different and i think the PIO record is about 9 days.

What i don't agree with is someone making out a really nice place like secret harbour is awful, which it isn't, it is lovely. I am not saying the things that they say happened haven't happened, but they made it sound like a hell hole, after just 9 weeks.

I wish them luck with what they do, Australia isn't for everyone, but most people love it, theres only a very small minority on PIO that don't like it and thats out of over 30,000 members, says it all really.

I think lemming summed it up best ( and in a remarkably short post !) but 9 weeks is a holiday ! Did you spend much time on a reccie ? I'm of the mind that you know , but any move is likely to cost a fortune !the only ones laughing must be the shipping companies !is it time for a new show called ' not wanted down under ' hosted by Chris 955 ? !

I didnt say it wasnt nice , those things happened, if you dont hear about these things, you dont know i guess, nine weeks, just Unlucky eh!! nothing might happen again for for a while, but a similar story happened in june this year,

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/youths-attack-couple-in-gang-assault-in-rockingham/story-e6frg143-1225878743912

so now and again these things happen i guess.... you just got to take note, for the most part im sure everyone will love it here, again i didnt say it wasnt nice, just not for us and im sure crime is rare, just happened to be last night, and last june.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I didnt say it wasnt nice , those things happened, if you dont hear about these things, you dont know i guess, nine weeks, just Unlucky eh!! nothing might happen again for for a while, but a similar story happened in june this year,

Youths attack couple in gang assault in Rockingham | Perth Now

so now and again these things happen i guess.... you just got to take note, for the most part im sure everyone will love it here, again i didnt say it wasnt nice, just not for us and im sure crime is rare, just happened to be last night, and last june.

Hi spenny

i would like to thankyou for not ranting and raving like some do when they are questioned over something they have written, your replies have been very mature and honest. There are alot of people on PIO looking to emigrate and i just wanted to point out that secret harbour is a nice place, there is crime all over the world, no one doesn't believe otherwise. Its a shame it hasn't worked out for you, but you gave it ago and i can imagine the decision to come back hasn't been easy and i wish you the best of luck.

I understand and partly agree with what you say, but............. until every individual gets to Australia, they never know what they will feel like and if its only taken 9 weeks to decide this then its their perogative to do this. It sounds crazy to some people but we are all different and i think the PIO record is about 9 days.

What i don't agree with is someone making out a really nice place like secret harbour is awful, which it isn't, it is lovely. I am not saying the things that they say happened haven't happened, but they made it sound like a hell hole, after just 9 weeks.

I wish them luck with what they do, Australia isn't for everyone, but most people love it, theres only a very small minority on PIO that don't like it and thats out of over 30,000 members, says it all really.

i HAD a friend that came over to Perth ,was NOR was well giddy for a few weeks , even started drinking (and that was probs the worst thing he did as he did as he couldnt handle it (even two pints he was ballooned ) his wife was a yes no ........they came here thinking Oz would owe them something , thought they were living the dream ....but they didnt do there homework ....the job he did wasnt classed as a job here ......he tried a few options but as he was his own gaffer in uk he DIDNT like to be told , so after 12 weeks off he went with his tale between his legs .....and what did both of them start doing when they got back to the uk........zzzzZZZZzzzzZZZZZ the usual gob poo stuff that we hear from some folk who have been and tried but not lived .......they slagged it off so much it was emmbarrasing (almost as embarrasing as my smelling/spelling) we got an email of them too , still slagging the place off .......council material , thats what they like and its not like that in OZ .............sorry for any smelling mistakes .....i have left my glasses in the pub and my wheel chair wont move for a while .........

Guest TheArmChairDetective
I wish we had gone back a long time ago,i always think of the wasted years we have spent here.You miss out on so much,like whats happening with family events ect.

We are all different but I feel sure that missing family events would have been something to consider before moving around the world !

I do wonder how many people move to australia without having a reccie trip first, and I wonder how many of those that do or do not have such a trip then return because they don't like it.

Guest lilly mist

9 weeks does seem like you are not giving your self enough time to adjust to the new way of life..

Have you thought of maybe trying a new area.. as with every country the area plays a great deal in the way we live and work .

Could you maybe not try somewhere new, make the most of all the hard work you put into getting there in the first place? An area can change the way we see life , Is it worth exploring ?

Really you may regret making such a huge move so quickly , Homesickness affects everyone in different ways, I just feel it would be such a shame to move back after only 9 weeks.. seems barely enough time to find your way around let alone discover what life ahead will bring to you.

Maybe writting that list of things that made you move in the first place might help reflect on life a bit... After all ..all the things you wanted to move away from are still here !

What do you gain from both lives ?

Good luck with what ever you do ..:hug:

Guest sh7t man no way

9 weeks is a short time to judge a country--as an analagy i went to see a film at the movies last week,and it had rave reviews--after 10 minutes i left (to me it wuz a load of crap)--time is precious,and should not be wasted---to me if your not happy with what lifes is giving you --change it--i wish you well in life:wubclub:

Archived