Moving back to the mother land

Guest spenny

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have been here 9 weeks, this place is a fantastic natural beauty of a land, all you want from nature the sea, sand, bushland, its nature, snakes, kangaroos ,spiders, lizards and so many more wonderful animals of which i am in awe of, i have had this dream of wanting to come to Oz for so many years 24 approx, always said to my mam why couldnt i have been born in Oz or USA just for the warm climate mainly,

always wanted to go to California to live but couldnt go because my parents were born in the UK ? go figure ?

So we decided to come to Australia the place has beauty and please hear this from my view about WA i know nothing of other areas, so i am not calling Australia as a whole!

My work friend used to have a go at me for wanting to come here " you'll be bit by something or ate by something" , my reply "i will happilly take my chance with nature, rather than live here (UK)" but now i may be eating those words because as beautiful as Australia seems (WA) it is a very slow and unwelcoming place, don't get me wrong there are nice people here,

but crime seems far more aggressive, attitudes are primative, everyone keeps them selves to themselves , you got friends , fine.... you aint got friends they seem a bit strange.

The happy guys in the shops are paid to be happy (im sure some are very nice people). this isn't a nation of happy people......... self indulgence, (i have this big house attitude and a stupid loud fast car that i have to drive at 100kph every where)

Simply driving down the road isnt enjoyable , not knowing if you will be safe , you only have to listen to the radio every morning to hear anither accident on any main road, because they simply cant drive here idiocy is the way , they think they can brake from 10 ft away at 100kph, morons (i again am only generalising im sure there are people here that can drive). UK compared to Australia road accidents deaths etc Australia is far worse there are 60 odd million people in UK, 20 million here, yet there are still a close amount of deaths on roads, it says a lot about the attitude of the individuals here .

So we are going back to the mother land and re affirming our faith in what ENGLAND was and can yet again be, we felt far safer walking the streets of where we are from and i will now be commited to helping towards the belief that ENGLAND can again become great ....I am not bad mouthing OZ i wish it could have worked for us to wake up to the sun nearly every morning is great but real life aint here for us,

god bless u all xxx:wideeyed:

ALL I CAN SAY IS WELL DONE FOR GIVING IT AGO,

ARE YOU SURE YOU CANT HANG IN THERE A BIT LONGER...

AT LEAST YOU TRIED AND AS IS SAID ITS BETTER TO HAVE LOVED THAN NEVER TO HAVE LOVED AT ALL..

KEEP SMILING:wink:

NICK...

Moving home after only 9 weeks? Come on - give it a real go.

Australia isn't the UK, wasn't that the whole point of the move?

All the expense for the visa, flights etc.

It is amazing the amout of British that move back to the UK.

Anyway, good luck with the move back.

Moving home after only 9 weeks? Come on - give it a real go.

Australia isn't the UK, wasn't that the whole point of the move?

All the expense for the visa, flights etc.

It is amazing the amout of British that move back to the UK.

Anyway, good luck with the move back.

The whole point of the move was to feel better in ourselves, it aint the UK, we never wanted or expected it to be that , beleve me...money expence well worth it we would never have known otherwise.

I want people to do this if they want, it may be for them !! just not for us, the beauty of nature that this place has is far beyond most , but spiritually this place aint it.

The cost is just something you gotta do at our age,give it a try,

You know, it isnt the uk,never expected it to be or wanted it to be, money, the visa ,seems a waste, but the experience is a life gift we will never forget this, its been a lesson, home is definately where the heart is for us ...

Hello Spenny

Give it longer, the last ting you want is to think in 2 years time, I want to go back.

A year. get it out your system. Australia is a wonderful place just give your self time, if then you want to come home,then do so. Yuo'll pick it up again back at home.

Go on mate do it. x

We have been here 9 weeks, this place is a fantastic natural beauty of a land, all you want from nature the sea, sand, bushland, its nature, snakes, kangaroos ,spiders, lizards and so many more wonderful animals of which i am in awe of, i have had this dream of wanting to come to Oz for so many years 24 approx, always said to my mam why couldnt i have been born in Oz or USA just for the warm climate mainly,

always wanted to go to California to live but couldnt go because my parents were born in the UK ? go figure ?

So we decided to come to Australia the place has beauty and please hear this from my view about WA i know nothing of other areas, so i am not calling Australia as a whole!

My work friend used to have a go at me for wanting to come here " you'll be bit by something or ate by something" , my reply "i will happilly take my chance with nature, rather than live here (UK)" but now i may be eating those words because as beautiful as Australia seems (WA) it is a very slow and unwelcoming place, don't get me wrong there are nice people here,

but crime seems far more aggressive, attitudes are primative, everyone keeps them selves to themselves , you got friends , fine.... you aint got friends they seem a bit strange.

The happy guys in the shops are paid to be happy (im sure some are very nice people). this isn't a nation of happy people......... self indulgence, (i have this big house attitude and a stupid loud fast car that i have to drive at 100kph every where)

Simply driving down the road isnt enjoyable , not knowing if you will be safe , you only have to listen to the radio every morning to hear anither accident on any main road, because they simply cant drive here idiocy is the way , they think they can brake from 10 ft away at 100kph, morons (i again am only generalising im sure there are people here that can drive). UK compared to Australia road accidents deaths etc Australia is far worse there are 60 odd million people in UK, 20 million here, yet there are still a close amount of deaths on roads, it says a lot about the attitude of the individuals here .

So we are going back to the mother land and re affirming our faith in what ENGLAND was and can yet again be, we felt far safer walking the streets of where we are from and i will now be commited to helping towards the belief that ENGLAND can again become great ....I am not bad mouthing OZ i wish it could have worked for us to wake up to the sun nearly every morning is great but real life aint here for us,

god bless u all xxx:wideeyed:

your post echoes probably hundreds ive read here and on british expats , different horses for different courses , good luck with your move home

Good luck with the next step of your life. Whilst there certainly used to be some logic to the "give it 2 years" mantra - you could get citizenship after that time a few years ago - I am not sure that it is worth the effort nowadays, I think you just "know". I hope that you can walk back into a successful life without too much of a hitch - maybe you left a home, have a career break or whatever so that a return will be painless.

I am sorry it hasnt worked out for you but I can see quite a bit of truth in what have been your experience.

Meanwhile, weather in UK has been super this past couple of weeks and autumn is looking gorgeous - I am here on holiday and always in awe of the variety and general buzz that there is here. I hope your return is just as enjoyable!!!

that was a nice post quoll, i used to live in oz, in north bondi ,i,ll never forget riding to work one day at 6 am and seeing a pile of clothes on the beach with a few blokes on the boardwalk looking at it, i thought maybe it,s a suicide or drowning . morbid curiosity got the better of me and i stopped to see what was going on , after a couple of minutes a young women emerged from the sea and walked up the beach naked to collect her clothes . you,ll never get that in england

Guest allieanddermo

We waited 16 years dreaming of going to Oz to live, got there ....and hated it after 5 months but stayed nearly 2 years to "give it a go" ....

After 2-3months of being back realised we made a huge mistake ( we were just homesick)

It cost us a bloody fortune going and coming and now we are saving so we can go back again.....

But I know that it dosent matter what anybody says to you.... You have to do what feels right for you and yours at the time......

Good luck with your decision....

Guest Nando65
The whole point of the move was to feel better in ourselves, it aint the UK, we never wanted or expected it to be that , beleve me...money expence well worth it we would never have known otherwise.

I want people to do this if they want, it may be for them !! just not for us, the beauty of nature that this place has is far beyond most , but spiritually this place aint it.

The cost is just something you gotta do at our age,give it a try,

You know, it isnt the uk,never expected it to be or wanted it to be, money, the visa ,seems a waste, but the experience is a life gift we will never forget this, its been a lesson, home is definately where the heart is for us ...

Spenny

You have to do what is best for you and yours.

I have lived both sides of the coin, born in UK, was a 10 pound pom, spend 30 years there, left Oz, have been here (UK) for 13 years. I guess you do what makes you happy, and I know I am opposite to you, I can't wait to get home to Oz, I don't like how I feel here, I don't feel safe, and all of you that read this, no judgement on anyonoe or culture, just personal opinion, I love Oz, the people, the place, the lifestyle, I grew up there, took it all for granted, did the backpack thing, but it is my home. Each place has its good and bad, but it is what you know and what you appreciate.

I wish you all the very best, 10 points for trying and it isn't for everyone. Take good care, and remember, life is for living and you only have one, so do what makes you happy.

Take care and live YOUR dream and good on you for giving it a go.

Hugs

Jane (Nando65 Nando and Jane)

Guest Guest40285

I cant see how you can make a decision after only 9 weeks, but thats just my 2 pence worth, Good luck with your trip home, and happy days

Cheers Matt

Guest chris955

I disagree with some, I think 9 weeks CAN be long enough and as has been said sometimes you just know that it isn't going to work. Having said that it could be worth giving it longer just to see if the feelings change. As many have found it often takes leaving the UK (or indeed any country) to fully appreciate it and realise it isn't as bad as the Daily Mail would have you think.

Good luck whatever you do.

Guest Nando65
I disagree with some, I think 9 weeks CAN be long enough and as has been said sometimes you just know that it isn't going to work. Having said that it could be worth giving it longer just to see if the feelings change. As many have found it often takes leaving the UK (or indeed any country) to fully appreciate it and realise it isn't as bad as the Daily Mail would have you think.

Agree Chris, it is what is preferred, I like Oz, not all do, horses for courses. It is what is best for each and everyone of us.

Guest famousfive

Spenny,some will say stay longer or try another state,some will say you might regret it a wee bit down the road and they may be right.Who knows.One thing I do know is that life is too short to waste it somewhere you are unhappy in.The UK is a nice country too so why persist here,feeling you have to get to like it,feeling you have to keep trying.You don't have to hate it to not want to live here,you don't have to hate it to want to hop on the next flight home and likewise not everybody has to love it either.I like oz a lot,love some aspects of it, but you would have to sedate me and tie me to a gum tree to get me to stay here for ever,so I too return in the coming year.We are all different.The very best of luck with your return.

Guest chris955

Absolutely, a few wont believe it but I love this country but equally hate many things about it. It doesn't offer us what we want plain and simple. As you say horses for courses.

Agree Chris, it is what is preferred, I like Oz, not all do, horses for courses. It is what is best for each and everyone of us.

You are right. This place is captivating on a holiday and the tourist hotspots. Living in the real world here is very different. Yes I completelly agree with the hoon culture and the driving skills. Every morning listening to the Fox there are multiple smashes in Melbourne, EVERY morning....and Evening...... WHY??????? You do not get this in london and there are 3x the number of people and narrower roads! It is also mandatory to get to the speed limit asap after the traffic lights, and heaven help you if you dawdle along at 59kph. You won't be able to read the number plate in the rear view mirror.

Agree with this, you get to know fairly quickly. The OP issue is not homesickness as such, this is not something that will be dulled out by time after 2 years. That is what happens when people say ' give it 2 years' , it is obviously a unit of time after which most of your old life is dulled out.

Here we have negative issues that are grating, this is what happened to me. These do not go away, and after a year and a half you just find even more and more issues to complain about. OK, many may get on with it, but it's tricky, you have to really want to stay here to progress and overcome these, if you don't then many, like myself, return..... on top of that, I realised what I had back in the Uk only once I left, and didn't want to make myself lose all my memories, friends, routine... just through the passing of time.

Guest Nando65

Again horses for courses, good on you for trying now you know, you can come home and be happy knowing you tried

Best of luck to you and yours

BTW, from the stats I've seen the road deaths in most states aren't much higher than the UK...in some states (ACT) they are even lower. The Northern Territory blows the Australia wide figure out somewhat as it is bad there. You sound home sick so seems a shame to make a decision now as there is not just the one Australian lifestyle you have experienced, but many...but hope everything works out to make you happy again.

Guest chris955

I think for many it is the feeling of isolation, of course that appeals to a lot of people. For me PERSONALLY when I went back recently it made me realise just how central you are to so much in the UK. As I said for others getting away from that is a plus.

what if you could change aus to be more in tune with europe and the world

The first few weeks are terribly difficult in settling in and getting yourself established.. In our first year here both my husband and I were involved in car assidents - my hubby actually got taken off the road by a trans perth bus, his van overturned and he was pulled from it by passers by who had stopped. One ... a total stranger actually brought him home ... well out of his way because he lived in Mandurah and we're in Leeming. The actions of a stranger actually made us not dwell on the accident and WA drivers but rather how nice people can be.

I've seen it written before that people move suburbs and that's helped them settle (rather than the expense of moving inter-state), For me personally, I know it took me about 10 months before I felt that I'd actually slowed down enough to start enjoying things. However, if you really know it's not for you then it's likely that time won't change those feelings, you'll only rumminate on negative feelings and become more and more unhappy. Only you know if it's time to go back to the UK, because at the end of the day it's about your life and what will make you happiest.

Good luck

Ali x

UK compared to Australia road accidents deaths etc Australia is far worse there are 60 odd million people in UK, 20 million here, yet there are still a close amount of deaths on roads, it says a lot about the attitude of the individuals here .

Road deaths in the UK are about 50% higher than Australia - 2222 versus 1517 for the last year surveyed. Initially this doesn't look good for Oz, given the smaller population. However, the critical factor in road statistics is not the population but the number of road miles travelled and in Australia it is much, much greater.

Archived