Sign in to follow this  
Guest sophie hautefeuille

how to find out if your skill is really in shortage?

Hello,

This is my first ever post ( never used a forum before!) so i hope my message is in the right place!

I am a news camerawoman with 11 years experience and understand i am on the new SOL list of skilled worker.

After getting my skills assessed, i know i will have to find a employer to sponsor me. But in the media industry, jobs don't come by frequently so i was wondering if any fellow camera operator has ever been sponsored by a tv company in Australia? How can i find out if there is a shortage of camera operator in the country?

My last question is this one then: if your job in on the SOL list, does that necessarily mean there is a shortage for that particular skill?

Thank you in advance to anybody who will find the time to answer me & have a lovely day!

Sophie.

Alrite Sophie:wink:,and welcome to PIO

All i can give is an "in general" answer tbh,plenty of tradesmen have gone to oz because of a "shortage" in their trade,only to end up struggling to find work over there.

So i guess a "shortage" doesnt allways mean theres a shortage in a particular place,its all changed since i got my visa tho tbh,i believe the shortages now are state specific?

All the best anyway

"The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

Me,tonight:wubclub:

thanx pablo!

i was the first one surprised to see my skill on the SOL list... guess i will have to check state by state if there is a shortage.. the tricky thing is: where there is a tv station, there is also a big city... so its unlikely i would get state sponsorship in a remote area, right?

Oh la la.. have a lot of research to do.. plus i am French ( living in uk!) so all this administrative english is extremely challenging!

Cheers fr ur reply,

sophie.

thanx pablo!

i was the first one surprised to see my skill on the SOL list... guess i will have to check state by state if there is a shortage.. the tricky thing is: where there is a tv station, there is also a big city... so its unlikely i would get state sponsorship in a remote area, right?

Oh la la.. have a lot of research to do.. plus i am French ( living in uk!) so all this administrative english is extremely challenging!

Cheers fr ur reply,

sophie.

Your welcome sophie, kind of guessed you were french:wink:,your english is better than mine btw!

Best of luck,and keep us informed:wubclub:

"The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

Just bumping it up,anybody got experience in television/journalism to help this girl?thx

Guest rilou
Your welcome sophie, kind of guessed you were french:wink:,your english is better than mine btw!

Best of luck,and keep us informed:wubclub:

In a general sense if an occupation is on the SOL, there is a shortage. Actually a study was done beginning of this to determine the occupations in shortage (which were then included in the SOL). If I were Sophie, I would not be too much worried (especially with 11 yrs experience!!!)

Go for it Sophie. Vas-y Sophie!

Guest Alejandro

Dear Sophie

First of all I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide. Operating the camera is an art and art feeds on talent. I assume you're very talented and daring for having chosen such an extraordinary profession.

In your shoes, I'd probably look towards American broadcasters as well as Canadian ones first. It seems the GFC had least effect on TV broadcasters for some reason.

Ofcourse the employment opportunities in Australia or elsewhere would depend upon you, you and you. If you want a job bad enough you'll get it.:wink:

My personal experience is you won't get a good job on a silver platter in a million years unless you have immaculate networking.

In a general sense if an occupation is on the SOL, there is a shortage. Actually a study was done beginning of this to determine the occupations in shortage (which were then included in the SOL). If I were Sophie, I would not be too much worried (especially with 11 yrs experience!!!)

Go for it Sophie. Vas-y Sophie!

Actually, Sophie's occupation is NOT on the SOL - it's only on the ENSOL. While inclusion on the SOL is a reasonable indicator of worker shortages, the ENSOL isn't as reliable.

Actually, Sophie's occupation is NOT on the SOL - it's only on the ENSOL. While inclusion on the SOL is a reasonable indicator of worker shortages, the ENSOL isn't as reliable.

You are right! i knew i had to have an employer sponsor me in order to be granted a visa..i get confused with all the names! thanx fr the reminder!...

Thanx pablo, Rilou and Alejandro... i am definitely up for the challenge of getting sponsored!!

Interesting info about the american network, do you think the australian network have had to cut down since the GBH ( had to google than one up... :))) )?

I actually just met a tv crew from Channel nine in London this morning, they have just reopened an office here in anticipation of the olympics game..so obviously, they still have a bit of money to spend...

Guest Jamie Smith

Many people struggle to find employment even when their occupation is on one of the lists - this is because their job search strategy or self promotion skills, or both, are not as strong as they need to be.

There are regional TV stations, and film crews stationed in various parts of the country. Don't forget the free lance film makers, ad agencies, documentary makers......