hazo

medicare prescription charges

Hello

The end is in sight for our sub class 143 visa. We have just got our CO and medicals booked for next week. I wonder if anyone can explain how much you have to pay for prescriptions on Medicare. I am 71 my wife is 65 I am on medication for high blood pressure (rising by the day ) my wife needs prescriptions for coeliac condition.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Hazo

Hi there,

You can look up the cost of prescription medicines on the Australian Government Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) website. Here is a link: pbs.gov.au - Consumer - Home

The price you would normally pay is in the "Price to consumer" column. Once you reach a certain threshold within a year (around $1300) then you pay the reduced rate listed in the "Price after PBS safety net" column.

Hope this helps - best wishes!

many thanks jejuniper I'll have a look at that link

Hi Hazo

Make sure that after you have been in Au for 2 years you apply for the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, it will reduce the cost of most of the prescriptions quite dramatically, and give you some other benefits like assistance with telephone and internet costs on a quarterly basis.

have a look on the Medicare Web site.( in fact I think it may possibly be the Centrelink website).

Mike

Guest AussieGold

A seniors card, health care card or pensioners card from centrelink will entitle you to prescrptions on PBS at $5.30 each. im on a parenting pension and this is what i pay for my scripts.

hth

AG

Hi AussieGold

many thanks for info can you get card straight away?

Guest AussieGold

hazo...im sorry i cant answer that q as im an Aussie and recieved my pension card as soon as i got my first benefit. im sure someone who does know the answer will be along soon tho, as i have no idea as to how long if any waiting there is for poms comming to Aus to claim benefits/pension cards.

AG

Hi AussieGold

many thanks for info can you get card straight away?

If your on a PR visa and eligible for Family Benefit along with your joint income being under (i think ) $43,000 you qualify for a healthcare card straight away, i have known a few familys who have been sent cards when they first registered with Centrelink and were looking for work so had a low income. Prescriptions are around $5 or $6 when you present it, (most chemists will ask if you have card prior to charging you)

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

If your on a PR visa and eligible for Family Benefit along with your joint income being under (i think ) $43,000 you qualify for a healthcare card straight away, i have known a few familys who have been sent cards when they first registered with Centrelink and were looking for work so had a low income. Prescriptions are around $5 or $6 when you present it, (most chemists will ask if you have card prior to charging you)

Cal x

I dont think retirees would generally be in receipt of Family Tax benefits.