Cost of relocating to Mackay

Guest Slainte

Guest Slainte

I expect to be moving to work in Mackay just before Christmas. I have been horrified by the price of property and the general cost of living there though. My quick question is this: how much money would I need in my back pocket ($AUSD) to get the essentials of relocating sorted out when I move out and even before I start working? e.g. first month's rent and bond, cost of furnishing apartment (as it seems finding a reasonable furnished apartment is nigh on impossible), buying car, insurance for car etc. Thanks so much for all your help guys.

Guest siamsusie
I expect to be moving to work in Mackay just before Christmas. I have been horrified by the price of property and the general cost of living there though. My quick question is this: how much money would I need in my back pocket ($AUSD) to get the essentials of relocating sorted out when I move out and even before I start working? e.g. first month's rent and bond, cost of furnishing apartment (as it seems finding a reasonable furnished apartment is nigh on impossible), buying car, insurance for car etc. Thanks so much for all your help guys.

Hi Slainte, Bobj a PIO member is your guy... he will guide you and send you the appropriate links .

Without a doubt he will pick up on this thread !:wubclub:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/members/23776.html

Guest Slainte

Thanks so much Bobj, I have replied to your PM. I have read a lot of the help that you have given people making the move to Mackay. You must be a saint to take all the time out to help all these people! Thanks again!

Thanks so much Bobj, I have replied to your PM. I have read a lot of the help that you have given people making the move to Mackay. You must be a saint to take all the time out to help all these people! Thanks again!

My pleasure, mate; but saint I aint.:arghh:

But then again...Seriously Ancient Idiotic Neurotic Twit...:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. Bugga! a solicitor...:laugh:

Guest siamsusie
My pleasure, mate; but saint I aint.:arghh:

But then again...Seriously Ancient Idiotic Neurotic Twit...:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. Bugga! a solicitor...:laugh:

Thanks MacKayMcKillop:biglaugh: xx

• 2 months later...
Guest turbo01
No he won't.:tongue:.

Cheers, Bobj.

Oh, alright then...Sent a PM to Slainte.

Hi, my partner and i are currently living in NSW but looking to move to Mackay as i have recently got a job up there. We have been told we need to be there by the first week of February, we were wondering if you were able to provide us with any information about Mackay such as what areas would be good to live in and anything that could be of use to us?

Any help is greatly appreciated...

thanks

Chris

Hi, my partner and i are currently living in NSW but looking to move to Mackay as i have recently got a job up there. We have been told we need to be there by the first week of February, we were wondering if you were able to provide us with any information about Mackay such as what areas would be good to live in and anything that could be of use to us?

Any help is greatly appreciated...

thanks

Chris

G'day mate, plese send me a PM regarding a few family details, such as sports, likes, dislikes in social circles, ages, jobs etc. so I may have a better idea as to advise you.

Yerr, I know, a nosey old far...bloke.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen
G'day mate, plese send me a PM regarding a few family details, such as sports, likes, dislikes in social circles, ages, jobs etc. so I may have a better idea as to advise you.

Yerr, I know, a nosey old far...bloke.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Think we need to set up a Bobj Advice forum lol, you have helped a hell of a lot of people on here:notworthy::hug:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest yankeedave

Hello all, First off let me be up front, I am a Yank, not a POM, so I will understand if y'all kick me off here. I have received an offer from an employer in Mackay and have all the usual questions about affordability. Married with 2 kids, one is 19 years old so he will be working also. I was offered $26.50/hr and with conservative overtime the gentleman said $70-$80,000/year would be an accurate figure. I know what the rent prices are, what concerns me is food, electricity, phone, cable etc......

Any insight would be great.

Thanks or Cheers as you say

Hello all, First off let me be up front, I am a Yank, not a POM, so I will understand if y'all kick me off here. I have received an offer from an employer in Mackay and have all the usual questions about affordability. Married with 2 kids, one is 19 years old so he will be working also. I was offered $26.50/hr and with conservative overtime the gentleman said $70-$80,000/year would be an accurate figure. I know what the rent prices are, what concerns me is food, electricity, phone, cable etc......

Any insight would be great.

Thanks or Cheers as you say

Don't let that worry you too much, mate...:wink:

As far as cost of living is concerned, Jo and I are pensioners, receiving $930 a fortnight to live on...We do, however, own our home. Electricity averages about $150 a quarter, groceries are about $120 per week. Diesel fuel is about $50 a month as we live in, or near, Paradise; we have no need to travel all over, just our weekly sortie to Mackay (we live 50 km NW which takes 40 minutes to commute).

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest yankeedave

Thanks Bobj,

Did you say $150 per quarter for electricity. I currently pay about $600 per quarter here in the states, that will save a bit. Hope you are keeping an eye on YASI, stay safe

Dave

My major bills in mackay usually come down to about:

$250 p/q for electric,

$2000 annually for rates

Roughly $350 p/w mortgage (I didn't go silly on "dream home" and got something I could afford easily at the time)

$200p/w groceries

My car is novated lease and costs $1000 per month, but that's the lease repayments, fuel, insurance, servicing, tyres etc

Everything else is fairly minor. When you select a house, the cheapest ones to run in terms of electricity are the high-set Queenslanders; they're designed for the climate and I know plenty of people who doen't have aircon in them - you can open up a breezeway the length of the house and put on the ceiling fan. These new build low-sets are open plan and chew through the juice as you don't catch the breeze and have to aircon a huge area.

Guest chipmunks

Hi,

My partner and I are currently living in Canada (originally from Germany) but looking to move to Mackay as my partner will get a job up there. We were wondering if you were able to provide us with any information about Mackay?

Any help is greatly appreciated : -)

Thanks

Marion

Hi,

My partner and I are currently living in Canada (originally from Germany) but looking to move to Mackay as my partner will get a job up there. We were wondering if you were able to provide us with any information about Mackay?

Any help is greatly appreciated : -)

Thanks

Marion

G'day mate, sent you a PM.

Cheers, Bobj.