Question about car registration and safety checks

Guest Scaesar

Guest Scaesar

Hiya all,

I'm new here, but I'm in desperate need of some information. Being a Belgian, I have no idea how car legal stuff works in Australia. I hope someone can help me.

Here's the story: my gf is in Australia at the moment, doing a 7 month trip. She's in Sydney, NSW, now and has just bought a 2nd hand car (a Ford) to make the trip. Cars come with necessary complications, like registration. She's got her Rego in NSW now; the Rego runs out December 30. She will, ofcourse, have to renew it for 6 months, but she won't be in NSW by then anymore as she'll be travelling.

Question: How to handle this renewal? What are the necessary steps to take?

I'm asking this because I've seen that between the states of Australia, there's quite some difficulty and differences in registrating and what's valid in 1 state, isn't necessary valid in another state.

So, she'll have to buy a green slip, ofcourse, but does it have to be one issued from NSW or are there other ways to renew the Rego when in another state than the one your car is registered in? Also, if the vehicle requires a safety check, can it be done in any state or does it have to be one in NSW? What's the max amount of time permitted between safety checking and renewing the Rego?

Also, how much of the procedure can be done online, and which steps require going to a specified place? (like a registration office)

Any other info of necessary info I need to know about this?

Many thanks in advance for any info or useful comments,

Scaesar

hello mate,

i'm pretty sure she can go and get a new pink and green slip immediately (even though there's still a few months left on the existing and she can then go an renew her registration at an RTA regisry and they will deduct whatever is remaining from the renewal fee (they'll effectively credit you with the 2 months of rego that are remaining).

Another alternative it to get the pink and green slip now, then just wait for the rego renewal and pay for it online (she can do that from anywhere in Oz).