Sign in to follow this  
Guest julie1981

Human Resources opportunities

Guest julie1981

Hi there

looking for advice from anyone working in this profession.

I work in HR, although I'm one of these people who fell into HR rather than holding a specific qualification. (I've a degree in psychology and beginning to wish I'd pursued this as a career!) HR is not on the skilled list for emigrating so I'm wondering how easy it is to come across HR jobs and how likely it would be for an organisation to appoint a brit into this role? I work in organisational development and have noticed quite a few jobs on recriutment sites.

Also, I have no idea what sort of salary an OD consultant can expect to earn over there so this makes it difficult when trying to work out possible earnings agains cost of living etc. On the jobs boards, OD professionals seem to have very high salaries advertised but this is so out of sync with the UK that I keep thinking it can't be right?

Any advice?

thanks!

Julie

Guest bobkerry

HR is the only profession which is now developing very much....this is the best area where you can work and can gain many advantages too....jobs are available and you can find and can pick accoding to your choices,,

Guest Tobe

Hi Julie,

Yep, I'm in the same position - like most people I seem to speak to I also fell into HR kind of by accident.....but I'm glad I did!

I'm also looking at opportunities in Oz. I've got lots of friends out there and they're all telling me how much there is around for HR folk. I'm an HRM and am looking to get the heck out of the UK before everything goes even worse than it is! I predict the public sector job shed is going to flood the jobs market with very highly skilled and well trained people (as let's face it, the public sector wasn't exactly known for skimping on its training and development costs was it!). That's obviously then going to cause a massive glut in applications for all the main professions and I know for a fact that many public sector agencies were incredibly "HR-heavy", with HR departments' structures the same size or bigger than many SME's in the private sector!

I think the OD positions are higher earning because they're more strategic. HR is definitely in-demand out there in Oz, and I'd guess a lot of companies are looking to rapidly increase their performance and functional ability whilst their competitors are suffering from the general downturns in other foreign economies. That's why the OD skills are so in-demand. But it's the same with even the more Generalist roles that I've seen online......example: HRM in Sydney suburbs $125 + super + bonus. Now that's really not too shabby :wink:

Are you talking to any good agencies out there? Have you got any good recommendations?

I'd be really interested in keeping in-touch on here, as I haven't found any other HR people on this site yet...have you?

Toby

Guest julie1981

Hi Tobe

Thanks for your reply and insight.

To be honest, we've really just started considering a move to OZ so haven't contacted any recruitment agencies yet. I have contacted an emigration agency and unfortunately for the HR profession, it's definitely the 457 route.

The recruitment agencies can have a pretty heavy fee so I was hoping to use some contacts and try to find a job myself first before I opt for the recruitment agency route. (Also I'm pregnant with numnber 2 just now so will be a few months before we start looking seriously). My husband is a Sports Therapist so he will also be looking for something.

Please let me know how you get on and I'll definitely be in touch if anything starts to progress for us.

Thanks again

Julie

Guest Amelie
Hi there

looking for advice from anyone working in this profession.

I work in HR, although I'm one of these people who fell into HR rather than holding a specific qualification. (I've a degree in psychology and beginning to wish I'd pursued this as a career!) HR is not on the skilled list for emigrating so I'm wondering how easy it is to come across HR jobs and how likely it would be for an organisation to appoint a brit into this role? I work in organisational development and have noticed quite a few jobs on recriutment sites.

Also, I have no idea what sort of salary an OD consultant can expect to earn over there so this makes it difficult when trying to work out possible earnings agains cost of living etc. On the jobs boards, OD professionals seem to have very high salaries advertised but this is so out of sync with the UK that I keep thinking it can't be right?

Any advice?

thanks!

Julie

Hi Julie,

Did you notice that 'Organisational Psychology' is on the Skills List? If you look at the job description it details the key skills/knowledge requirements, which are what is now expected by strategic HR professionals....especially the Organisational Development roles. Take a look.....also, with your psychology degree, it could be a major advantage for you if you wish to look for permanent residency?

Guest julie1981

Hi Amelie

Thanks very much for your note. I did notice that Organisational Psychology was on the skills list and to be honest was a bit annoyed with myself for not progressing this. I would need to go back to university to get this qualification which is difficult with one child and one on the way. However, I will take your advice and investigate this further and try to work something out.

The emigration agency didn't mention my psychology degree at all so I didn't realise it had any significance.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your comments and advice

Julie

Guest THE3BEARS

I have been out in Brisbane for 3 months now and am really struggling to get a HR position.

I was a HR Manager in the public sector and am CIPD qualified in the UK.

There is no recognition for this out here, they have their own HR qualification structure and they seem to value local experience very highly.

The legislation framework is different.

I have also been applying for generalist roles and not even getting to shortlisting stage.

I spoke to Hays recruitment about it and they advised that HR employment market has become saturated over the last year, thus the person specs have become even more stringent, with local experience always being on there.

Although this may be only in Brisbane, other areas could very well be different, and I must say I havent applied to hundreds of roles, just 10 or so.

Guest Amelie
I have been out in Brisbane for 3 months now and am really struggling to get a HR position.

I was a HR Manager in the public sector and am CIPD qualified in the UK.

There is no recognition for this out here, they have their own HR qualification structure and they seem to value local experience very highly.

The legislation framework is different.

I have also been applying for generalist roles and not even getting to shortlisting stage.

I spoke to Hays recruitment about it and they advised that HR employment market has become saturated over the last year, thus the person specs have become even more stringent, with local experience always being on there.

Although this may be only in Brisbane, other areas could very well be different, and I must say I havent applied to hundreds of roles, just 10 or so.

Hi,

Happy New Year and apologises for the late reply.....

I was told by recruitment consultants that many of the HR roles are based in Sydney and Melbourne....where alot of the Head Offices are based.

Hope everything is ok for you on the job front?

Amelie

Guest Juke 96

Hi,

From what I've found, HRM is on the SMP list for ACT/Canberra. So it's for that reason I'll be making a concentrated effort in that area :)

Hope this helps?

Guest Amelie
Hi,

From what I've found, HRM is on the SMP list for ACT/Canberra. So it's for that reason I'll be making a concentrated effort in that area :)

Hope this helps?

Hi Juke 96,

Yes, I heard that from one of the 'Phil Down Under' espisodes of this season. Canberra was featured, two weeks ago. The family moved over there on a skills visa based on the wife's HRM skills and experience as the show mentioned that HRM is on the SMP list for ACT/Canberra...as you've said.

I was quite impressed with Canberra ....

Guest Juke 96

Hi Amelie,

Yeah, I saw that one too. She ended up with a job at one of the Universities as I remember. I was impressed with Canberra too. Looks lovely:biggrin:

Hi Juke 96,

Yes, I heard that from one of the 'Phil Down Under' espisodes of this season. Canberra was featured, two weeks ago. The family moved over there on a skills visa based on the wife's HRM skills and experience as the show mentioned that HRM is on the SMP list for ACT/Canberra...as you've said.

I was quite impressed with Canberra ....